is a 450 marlin to big for pig

braddah mike
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 450 marlin

Post  Koa Boa on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:00 pm

NOPE!!! As long as you can handle da recoil he go some have the compensator which helps alot.

Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  braddah mike on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:18 pm

right on koa boa i heard of pigs shaking one 30-30 round. i had one 30-30 never shot any pigs with it.with the three round rule the 450 marlin should make um count.esp with the hornady round.thanks feel better about it.aloha

braddah mike
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Huntaz Of War on Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:51 pm

braddah mike wrote:right on koa boa i heard of pigs shaking one 30-30 round. i had one 30-30 never shot any pigs with it.with the three round rule the 450 marlin should make um count.esp with the hornady round.thanks feel better about it.aloha

yah depends where u shoot the 30 30 bullet into cuz i rock the 30 30 n its wrk out good for me

Huntaz Of War
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Ezay bradda mike goodluck its a hamma I can tell you that much all da hogs I shot with it went nowhere but down Very Happy

Yeah I seen a few 30-30 bullets fail through the years but its due to poor bullet construction and not the caliber itself the 30-30 speaks for itself its an awesome hog caliber.

Aloha,

Bradda Muns

Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  braddah mike on Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:50 am

yeah the 30-30 i had was over 8lbs i wanted somthing short and light with a good knockdown.i seen pigs drop from 22s.in or under the ear shots, but they wasnt running.needed one light big bore gun to nabb the ones sneeking out the bush.aloha

braddah mike
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Huntaz Of War on Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:42 pm

braddah mike wrote:yeah the 30-30 i had was over 8lbs i wanted somthing short and light with a good knockdown.i seen pigs drop from 22s.in or under the ear shots, but they wasnt running.needed one light big bore gun to nabb the ones sneeking out the bush.aloha

yo mike u migth want to look in to a M1 carrbean the 30 carrbean bullets do the job i noe two Ace huntaz that hunt with this gun unko Maka and Sam tanele they kill hogs with that gun and its idea use cuz its small and eazy to move with so u migth want to look in that if u like a small gun with a punch to it aloha...

Huntaz Of War
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai Boy on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:18 pm

I once had a 444 marlin i used for pig hunting without dogs. So no, i don't think the 450 is too big . Shot a 60lb pig with it and it blew a huge hole in the pig . It's really up to you what you like and think would be comfortable for you. But i would draw the line at the 416 Rigby

Kauai Boy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  knockout on Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:02 pm

i use da mini 30...!

knockout
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  braddah mike on Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:46 pm

im going to check out these suggested guns cause i think im coming up with gun fever.gottah go see the docta.lol right on mahalo braddahs.aloha

braddah mike
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa on Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:24 pm

Howzit Bradda Mike,

Just an FYI but when you lighten the weight of the gun the felt recoil goes up as well. Not saying you cant handle it just letting you know that hate to see you get something light but kicks like a MULE. Compensators and recoil pads do help with this so there are things you can do to try and counter act the recoil and sadly weight is one of them. If you got any questions please freel free to ask! You can check out the old ruger 44 mag carbine. Lightweight, fast handling, good power and semi-auto. Or if you really want a lever Then 30-30, 44 mag, 454 casull, 50 AE, 45 LC, 450 Mar., 444 Mar. or you can get a 450 Bushmaster, 50 beowulf, 458 SOCOM which all come in an AR platform and MANY more actually its just like santa santa santa LOL!!!!

Goodluck in your search and let us know your choices enquiring minds wanna know Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Alohaz my bradda!!!

Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca on Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:58 am

If a pig shook a 30-30, it's only because it wasn't hit right. I know pigs are tough, but not that tough. A friend of mine used to put down the 30-30 too with all kinds of wierd allegations. like "the bullet passes throught hem too fast and doesn't have time to mushroom" which is complete bs. Laughing The opposite would probably happen unless he was shooting full metal jackets which he wasn't.

Smooth bore shotguns are pretty good too. Buckshot for dense bush and runnign shots and foster slugs if you need longer shots or want to be more precise. 30-30 is also ideal size for pigs close up. It's the lighter of the 30 cals.

Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  braddah mike on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:35 am

ho nic i like the lever action. i never shot a pig with a 30-30 yet. thanks for the input. its between the 30-30 and 450 marlin that im interested in right now.ar's to expensive for me right now being that im on layoff and looking for a new truck.thanks my braddah.take care aloha

braddah mike
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:45 am

The AR style is great too! Real practical. A larger round would be ideal for pigs but .223 does the job. Best if you got dogs for backup because of the small bullet and poor blood trails. Otherwise .223 is an "expert round" because you got to hit them perfect.

Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MANOA HOG HUNTAH on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:52 am

Huntaz Of War wrote:
braddah mike wrote:yeah the 30-30 i had was over 8lbs i wanted somthing short and light with a good knockdown.i seen pigs drop from 22s.in or under the ear shots, but they wasnt running.needed one light big bore gun to nabb the ones sneeking out the bush.aloha

yo mike u migth want to look in to a M1 carrbean the 30 carrbean bullets do the job i noe two Ace huntaz that hunt with this gun unko Maka and Sam tanele they kill hogs with that gun and its idea use cuz its small and eazy to move with so u migth want to look in that if u like a small gun with a punch to it aloha...
yup rahjah dat calvin i dropped a few pigs on the run with my carbine and its fairly light and can take some abuse. i always get offers to sell it but i had um since young boy time so i cant let it go...alohas

MANOA HOG HUNTAH
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top