Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's been a year

+6
Ikestr
Misadventure Gear
UpFront
Koa Boa
AK Andy
Turkey Joe
10 posters

Go down

It's been a year Empty It's been a year

Post  Turkey Joe Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:20 am

It's been a year since that sad & tragic day. Hunt Hard, Love life your family and what you do! Eric said once "Hey man! Did you ever stop and realize that we get to hunt on top of some of the most beautiful mountains in the world?"
Turkey Joe
Turkey Joe
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

It's been a year Empty Re: It's been a year

Post  AK Andy Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:10 am

Howzit Joe?
I think about him every time I log onto his website.
AK Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:56 am

Howzit Bradda Joe,

Yeah man I think about it all the time especially with the job I do man sometimes it can get to you. In fact my co-worker asked me today how long ago it was that my friend had fallen and passed away because he lives in Waianae and he heard that someone else had just fallen to thier death in Makaha the other day.

I sadly told him that it was this very day a year ago that bradda Eric had left us all too soon.

Im up on the high ridges right now in my tent typing this and remembering all the talks, interviews etc I had with bradda eric over the years. In fact just 2 weeks ago we were in Keaau working doing rappelling and such off the cliffs its beautiful but dangerous at the same time.

Stay safe my braddas and sistas and always remember never wait for tomorrow for what can be done today for tomorrow may never come.

Much Luv and Aloha and Akua Bless,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:09 am

Yeah, I have been thinking a lot about it lately too with Makua Keaau opening for archery, and the two accidents up Makaha recently. I try to do exactly what Eric said every time I go up the mountain and take a moment to really soak in the beauty of my surroundings and thank the Big Guy upstairs. It truely is wonderous and spectacular.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:20 am

In remembering him, how about making a trip to BankoH and making a donation to his childrens trust? I believe it was called The Children of Eric Sawchuck Trust. Don't gotta give much, but every little bit helps.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikestr Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:04 pm

After the 2009 Superbowl, I was driving home from my brother in laws house when I heard the news of what happened to Eric. I was shocked that it happened and immediately thought of his children, "they'll will be without their Daddy." An overwhelming feeling of sadness came over me because I thought of my two little girls. The thought of not having me around to watch them grow and enjoy life chokes me up.

I truly hope that all is well as can be with the Sawchuck family. And to all of you out there enjoying all that these islands have to offer, be safe.

Ike

Last edited by Ikestr on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  honu ea Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:58 pm

never forget. always remember every day is a good day no matter what happens. much love and aloha's to the sawchucks. be safe in the sticks.
aloha
paka
honu ea
honu ea
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

It's been a year Empty Rememberence

Post  Jedi8541 Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:03 pm

I am new to Hawaii and to this forum and never had the pleasure to meet or talk with Eric, but I have seen the fruits of his labor. This website. I am sure that he would be proud of what it has become and the good times, great hunting stories and help that this site has given to locals and newbies like my self. I had a friend back in Georgia that got me started into reloading and taught me pretty much everything I know about reloading, die of an accidental discharge at his home. It was a terrible shock to me when I got the news, I was stunned. I felt like my brother had died. Like the poster above stated dont put things off until tomorrow because none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. Be sure to give a kind word or help somebody out when they need help, because when they are gone there isnt a tomorrow for them or another chance. That will be something you will have to remember the rest of your life.

Like Eric my friend too also had small children and we started a annual memorial match for the family and donated 100% of the profits to the wife for christmas or what ever came up.

I would be up for say a archery tournament shoot with a entrance fee and some small prizes and the enrty fee donated to the family here on the big island is anyone else is interested. PM me for details if you think its doable.

Like I said I never knew Eric personally but all of us hunters are brothers at heart and we shall all meet at the happy hunting ground one day when its out time.

May the force be with you,

Cal
Jedi8541
Jedi8541
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Babooze Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:13 am

I remember getting up at 2am that morning and opening the Advertiser web site and reading about about someone falling off a cliff above Keaau. I posted about it on the board here and went to work. For some reason I didnt put two and two together until a little later in the day when Dean and then Cory called me. To say the least I was floored. I still have a hard time believing he isnt with us.

THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU DID FOR ALL OF US ERIC!

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:04 am

Aloha guys,
Unfortunately I have never had the pleasure of bantering back and forth with him. I didn't know him at all but can get some real insight to his person from video creations and thru this website. His energy is all over this place which can be felt. The ability to UNIFY Hawaiis outdoorsman no matter how or what we choose to pursue.
Sometimes civil unity as a hunting community is easier said than done. After reading all the other posts, I will echo the message of safety, caring, and nurturing of others over ourselves. Live for this very moment. This moment that you are sitting in never moves. The past and present are merely classifications of the mind. When the "past" happened - it happened in this moment. When the "future" shows up - it will happen in this same moment. Time itself being psychological rather than chronological. This understanding shows the eternity in all beings. The physical form is gone but never the essence. Nature wastes nothing.

Continued blessings to his Ohana.

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

It's been a year Empty In Memory

Post  AK Andy Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:58 am

I too was as shocked as everyone else when I heard the news about Eric. I had just talked with him the night before at 11 pm about the hunt, he knew about a big billy and a draw where the herd had been crossing, he was all pumped and getting ready for the hunt, I had finally talked him into trying mechanicals broadheads for the first time (slick tricks only for hogs, but finally would try mechanicals on goats), he had just bought a pair of new boots too, he was stoked. I was scheduled to meet up with him in 2 weeks to go bow hunt goats with him......I will get to do that someday in the happy hunting grounds in the sky, I'm hoping he will have a few trail cam pics of some boss boars too that we can go after. Remember Switchblade?
The disbelief about it initially threw me for a loop. I was expecting a call back from him on Sunday night to hear how the hunt went, the call never came- I checked my e-mail hoping to get an update and see pics, ....Monday the phone rang and I thought it was him,but it was my close friend Robert C. (Hog Wild) calling to tell me. We were even gonna hunt dog n knife with Robert too. I try not to focus on the loss, because he would rather me recall the enthusiasm that he was most often full of, Man I could relate to that guy, not just like a fellow hunter, but more rare than that, like with a connection to a fellow member of the true brotherhood of real hunters. He thought deeply about the little things, ethics, the energy, the give and take, how things come to you, the pursuit, and the thrill found in the magic of the outdoors. I am really glad to read everyone's posts and see that they recognized the same type of things when remembering him. So glad to see that is not forgotten. I feel like he even still introduces me to people today with this website. I am so grateful to get to interact with the caliber of people on here. Real hunter folk I can relate to. I think this combination of people is a rare thing. Eric always had the Aloha spirit in his heart- we compared notes and talked bowhunting, archery, hogs, baits, equipment,and basically countless aspects of hunting too numerous to list. He sent me DVDs freely as he finished them. Man he kindled a fire in me for hogs and goats with those videos. It was inspiring. He was my hog mentor and he loved to teach what he knew. The guy was so giving. We were all blessed by him and we are lucky to benefit by his accomplishments as they live on and help us to this day. I got to meet my good friend Turkey Joe because of Eric, I'm grateful for that introduction too. My heart goes out the ohana. We miss you Eric.
Aloha,
Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: