Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wearing glasses to hunt?

4 posters

Go down

Wearing glasses to hunt? Empty Wearing glasses to hunt?

Post  Kauai808 Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 am

Anybody hunt with seeing glasses? I usually don't but I can't tell where my arrow goes. So today I'm trying it out but I wanna know if that is a bad idea. My eyesite isn't that bad as I usually don't wear them. Aloha
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Wearing glasses to hunt? Empty Re: Wearing glasses to hunt?

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:20 am

Alohaz Kauai808,
Not a bad idea at all. It may affect draw length, distance to anchor point depending on release type. peep sight. Just a slight re-align adjustment. I dont know your setup though.
Maybe you cant see your arrow cuz your bow is one of those red hot string smokers most everybody has nowadays!! Very Happy Very Happy Good luck.

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:23 am

I've worn bionic eyeballs since hanabada days. Cool I can't see 12 inches without them. My advice is that if you are gonna wear them to hunt, you should wear them during practice too. I firmly believe in practice the way you are hunt, and hunt the way you practice. I also believe that you need to see where your arrow goes so you can make sound decisions on following up on the shot. If your arrow is high or low, and you are lucky enough get a second shot, it can help you figure out the range. Or, if the hit was a bit back and maybe hit liver or gut, and you weren't able to see it, you might try to follow up on an animal that needs to sit for a few hours. Then you bump him and he's gone. So......if you need glasses to see arrow flight, then wear it--all the time. Or you could try something like the Lumenok to see arrow flight better. And shoot with a Lumenok--All the time.

As for shooting/hunting wearing glasses, it may affect your anchor point or sighting as Maukakane pointed out. A lot of archery books suggest shooting with your nose just touching the string, to help keep a solid anchor point. I found this didn't work well for me, as that meant I was looking out of the extreme top left corner of my glasses (RH shooter, right eye dominant). If I've been sweating, that area of the lens tends to be blurred by moisture. So I adjusted my form to look straight out the center of the lens. This means my nose doesn't touch the string. Instead, I use a kisser button in addition to my peep, to help keep that consistant anchorpoint. The other problem I have with glasses is that sometimes they fog up when the humidity goes up and you are sweating. Before going hunting I treat my glasses with an anti-fog gel for dive masks. It helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem. Face masks or netting also means your glasses tend to fog up from your breath. Use camo face paint instead. Finally, do yourself a favor and get prescription sunglasses too. They are worth every penny. Good luck, and let me know how it works for you.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks guys. Good points. I think I need to wear them all the time hunting and practice. Do you think the reflection or glare off the glass could have a impact on the game?
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  kimo Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:26 pm

I would suggest to let some arrows fly at a target with your glasses and see if your dead on. If not DONT use um you might just end up wounding the animal. Aloha Kimo
kimo
kimo
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:27 am

I don't think they reflect that much, but I am always wearing a hat with a brim, and I don't wear mirrored sunglasses.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down