Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey.

+11
BRIAN AKINA
alikaf
kuniole pua'a!!!
Kauai Boy
PORKHUNGRY
Koa Boa
Nic Barca
hog killahz inc.
HYPA
Ikestr
Cheryl Lohr
15 posters

Go down

How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey. Empty How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey.

Post  Cheryl Lohr Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:47 pm

To all the hunters in Hawai`i,
My name is Cheryl Lohr and I am a graduate student at The University of Hawai`i at Mānoa. I am conducting research into the beliefs, values and preferences held by hunters, throughout the Hawaiian Islands, in regards to wildlife and conservation. In other words, I want to know why you hunt, whether or not you have enough places and enough animals to hunt, and whether you think hunting is helping or hindering conservation in Hawai`i.

This research requires that I send surveys to hunters across Hawai`i within the next 9-18 months. The surveys will contain questions asking for your thoughts on: current hunting regulations in the State of Hawai`i; whether you would like to see more or less of a particular animal (including pigs, goats, cattle, turkeys etc.); your ability to access public land; whether you believe hunting is a cultural right; and whether hunting is helping or hindering conservation. Your answers to these questions will be compared to the answers of a number of other groups of people including; conservation biologists, animal welfare advocates, and farmers, to determine what the people of Hawai`i, as a single group want for the future of these islands. It is important that your voice is heard!

If you are 18 or older, hunt and would like to receive a survey (in the next 9-18 months) please send your contact details (Name; Email address; Postal address; Telephone number) to cheryl26@hawaii.edu, or to Cheryl Lohr, 1910 East-West Rd, Sherman Laboratory, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, 96822. If you have any questions regarding this research, then please feel free to email me or to give me a call on 956-2434. If you want to verify that this request is real then talk to one of the gentlemen from the Pig Hunters Association of Oahu, they know who I am.

All contact details will be kept confidential and only used for the purposes of the above mentioned research.

Yours sincerely,
Cheryl Lohr

Cheryl Lohr
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey. Empty Re: How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey.

Post  Ikestr Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:32 pm

PM sent. Would the information gathered and compiled be distributed back to the hunting group to see what we believe to be our primary concerns?
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey. Empty Re: How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey.

Post  HYPA Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:01 am

email sent
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey. Empty Yes. The results of the survey will be published

Post  Cheryl Lohr Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:26 am

In response to Ikestr,
Yes. I will forward the results of the survey to any hunting organizations that request them. However, please be aware it will probably be 2-3 years before there are any results to send to anyone.
Cheryl Lohr

Cheryl Lohr
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  hog killahz inc. Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:26 am

e-mail sent
hog killahz inc.
hog killahz inc.
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:18 am

Sent you an email.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:08 am

email sent!

Cheryl,

May I make a suggestion, being that the survey wont be getting sent out until 9-18 months from now can you check back in when and if you get a more solid date? The reason being is that some peoples info might change in that kind of time frame i.e. change cell phone provider and/or number, move out of current residence etc.

So that way if anyone needs to update any last minute changes they can do it some people may be like me and have short and long term memory loss and forget to update thier info as the need arises How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey. Icon_lol

Or maybe someone can STICKY this thing and keep it at the top????

Just a suggestion!

Aloha,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey. Empty RE:How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey.

Post  PORKHUNGRY Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:01 pm

e-mail sent..

thank you,

clown PORKHUNGRY
PORKHUNGRY
PORKHUNGRY
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai Boy Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:48 pm

Sent e-mail
Kauai Boy
Kauai Boy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:02 am

Just wanted to bring this back to the top because I spoke with Cheryl face to face yesterday at the annual Hawaii Conservation Conference held at the Hawaii Convention Center after one of her talks. Just wanted to let everyone know that she is very bright and solid in her data stats and after hearing her talk that she would do a very thorough job with the hunter survey that she is proposing. Sadly she said that she didnt get much response from the hunting community so she got a list of hunters who purchased hunting licenses from the state and will be sending those hunters her contact info etc. hopefully she gets enough hunter's to respond so she can get a good survey done.

Just an update!

Alohaz

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  kuniole pua'a!!! Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:39 am

right on bradduh muns fo bringing this topic up again... my hope is fo all of us together dont matter from what location or what island we from we can have a chance to voice our opinion and be heard from a huntas point of view on how to manage our pig control in our area...l believe also the start of the team of representives that will attend meetings thru out our State to make our voices and concern known is right on hope that more huntas will support this very important cause to setup and preserve hunting in our islands not only for today but for tomorrow and years down da road so our keikis can have the privilege to continue dis way of life that has been pass down from our kupunas.... aloha to all that has put an effort fo dis cause.....t.c...K.P... afro

kuniole pua'a!!!
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:17 am

Howzit KP no problems my bradda I spoke with her a few times on da phone and emailed a couple times but I was finally able to meet her face to face and talk to her about the survey etc. so was good. She seems very interested to get the thoughts and feelings of Hawaii Hunters about our way of life and our Mana'o about how we feel the state should manage game populations throughout the state.

Alohaz

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  kuniole pua'a!!! Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:26 am

Koa Boa wrote:Howzit KP no problems my bradda I spoke with her a few times on da phone and emailed a couple times but I was finally able to meet her face to face and talk to her about the survey etc. so was good. She seems very interested to get the thoughts and feelings of Hawaii Hunters about our way of life and our Mana'o about how we feel the state should manage game populations throughout the state.

Alohaz

Bradda Muns
Howzit bradda Muns maybe she should open a forum,post, or website online where we can begin to address some of the problems and start looking for solutions together....it should start with being informed about the problems that is now effecting wild game and its environment, what is being done now to fix it is it working? what are other options or ideas.... l personally have a problem on how the state handled the slaughtering of wild cattle in Kona on da B,I....where dey shot cattle from da chopper heard some were hit but didnt die there was big issue's on how it was handled not too bad if they had planned a stagging area where they could have landed the killed animals and give to whom ever wanted meat.. but to shootum and leave um to rot is a waste ,alot of people struggling to put food on their tables would have benefited from that kill thats just one example....ect...t.c K.P

kuniole pua'a!!!
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:34 am

Aloha KP yeah my bradda I hear you theres many things I personally have issue with that is done regarding the game management in this state but that would be a VERY LONG STORY LOL! But yeah i'll try mailing her again and see what she says. I just had an interesting conversation this week with some people in the state and govt levels about some issues regarding ungulate's. The thing is patient perseverance on our part.

Alohaz
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  alikaf Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:08 pm

Cheryl Lohr wrote:To all the hunters in Hawai`i,
My name is Cheryl Lohr and I am a graduate student at The University of Hawai`i at Mānoa. I am conducting research into the beliefs, values and preferences held by hunters, throughout the Hawaiian Islands, in regards to wildlife and conservation. In other words, I want to know why you hunt, whether or not you have enough places and enough animals to hunt, and whether you think hunting is helping or hindering conservation in Hawai`i.

This research requires that I send surveys to hunters across Hawai`i within the next 9-18 months. The surveys will contain questions asking for your thoughts on: current hunting regulations in the State of Hawai`i; whether you would like to see more or less of a particular animal (including pigs, goats, cattle, turkeys etc.); your ability to access public land; whether you believe hunting is a cultural right; and whether hunting is helping or hindering conservation. Your answers to these questions will be compared to the answers of a number of other groups of people including; conservation biologists, animal welfare advocates, and farmers, to determine what the people of Hawai`i, as a single group want for the future of these islands. It is important that your voice is heard!

If you are 18 or older, hunt and would like to receive a survey (in the next 9-18 months) please send your contact details (Name; Email address; Postal address; Telephone number) to cheryl26@hawaii.edu, or to Cheryl Lohr, 1910 East-West Rd, Sherman Laboratory, University of Hawaii, Honolulu, HI, 96822. If you have any questions regarding this research, then please feel free to email me or to give me a call on 956-2434. If you want to verify that this request is real then talk to one of the gentlemen from the Pig Hunters Association of Oahu, they know who I am.

All contact details will be kept confidential and only used for the purposes of the above mentioned research.

Yours sincerely,
Cheryl Lohr
e mail sent. any thing to help out our way of life..

Last edited by alikaf on Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
alikaf
alikaf
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:03 pm

Right on Alik's mahalo's
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey. Empty An update

Post  Cheryl Lohr Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi,
I just wanted to post an up-date on the survey. I have about 40 hunters that have contacted me directly, which is wonderful! Thank you so much to those people. But to ensure my research is robust and well done I do need to survey closer to 400 hunters across the islands. So I will be mailing a survey directly to a lot of hunters that have bought a hunting license. I have some research bureaucracy to go through yet so the survey will be a couple of months away. There always seems to be more red tape than you plan on. I really appreciate you guys keeping this topic alive on here. If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me on cheryl26@hawaii.edu or 956-2434.
Cheryl Lohr

Cheryl Lohr
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey. Empty AMEN ALIKA !!!!

Post  BRIAN AKINA Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:24 pm

LIL' BIT L8............
BUT COUNT ME IN !!!!!
MY TEAM/OHANA & FRIENDS SHOULD ALL B SIGNIN' UP BY THIS WEEK.
HUNTING LICENCSES ALL VALID/CURRENT.SHOULD UP THE #'Z,HOPE IT HELPS.
GOOD LUCK CHERYL.
............................ALOHA>>>>>BRIAN AKINA

"OUR PAST,PRESENT,& FUTURE"
BRIAN AKINA
BRIAN AKINA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HOG WILD Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:59 am

Aloha Cheryl, Just wanted to thank you again for involving the hunting community in your survey. If you want I can get surveys distributed on the island of Kauai for you and get them mailed back to you. That way I can stay on top of them so they will be sure to get it done. I'm sure that I could get atleast one hundred here on the island by just talking to my friends. Please give me a call if you have any questions.My number is 808-651-2965.

Aloha, Robert Cremer Jr.

HOG WILD
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:03 am

Mahalo Cheryl for the update and it was a pleasure to speak with you last week!!! And Mahalo also for dealing with all the bureaucracy and red tape in order to get this much needed survey done and to include the hunting community...Aloha!

Mahalos Bradda Brian (Still get time Smile no worries) and Bradda Rob fo da Kokua and I really do hope the hunters of Hawaii give thier input in surveys like these let our voices be heard.

Alohaz, Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey. Empty Mail?

Post  Daniel_Peterson Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:04 pm

Is this an email or mail delivered survey?
Daniel_Peterson
Daniel_Peterson
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey. Empty Survey

Post  Cheryl Lohr Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:40 pm

Hi all,
I would rather send out the survey via email because it saves money, paper and time. I had always intended to mail the survey to those people that do not have access to the internet. However, since I need to survey so many hunters, I am now planning on mailing surveys to those people who have bought a hunting license. Not everyone that has bought a license will get a survey, so if you would like to make sure you get a survey please send me your contact details.

Cheryl Lohr
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

How should the state manage wildlife (pigs etc.)? Survey. Empty survey

Post  trackandgrab Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:25 pm

I'm in. Emal sent.

trackandgrab
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.dantonnaone.com

Back to top Go down

Post  huntaz only Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:00 am

e-mail sent thanks
huntaz only
huntaz only
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HOG WILD Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:27 am

Cheryl,there is a lot of hunter's that don't know how to deal with a computer or just don't have one. So if it's possible,I could be your contact to get those surveys out and done by deadline. I will be able to get atleast get one hundred. I'll e-mail you so you can send info to me when your ready.

Aloha, Robert C.

HOG WILD
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down