Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timing of castration

+3
Kauai808
Koa Boa
CAVE CANEM
7 posters

Go down

Timing of castration Empty Timing of castration

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:40 am

Hey guys! I have heard a few different ideas of when is the optimal time to hemo a pigs lahos but I was just wondering what is everyones elses thoughts on the subject?? Do you judge by weight?age? As long as get balls??
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Timing of castration Empty Re: Timing of castration

Post  Koa Boa Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:27 am

If I remember correctly its 3-5 days my bradda

Aloha!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:03 am

Last time I did it we just made sure we could still hold them up.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:05 am

As long as you can see em. If da bags showing, you can cut em.
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.cory-vidinha.magix.net

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:14 am

Thanks for the replies guys! I've only seen it done but since I have started trying to go alot more steady it crossed my mind as to when would be a good time to get optimal results. Has anyone ever heard of breaking off the pigs whetters so they can't file the tusks down?? I have heard this is best done at a younger age??
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:17 am

Rajah, you going make some dog killazzzz.
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.cory-vidinha.magix.net

Back to top Go down

Post  bakeplus34pu Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:19 am

I was a hog farmer in Michigan back in my younger days. Me and my pops ran about 600 head. We would cut them no later then 6 weeks, but we always tried to get them at 4 weeks. A good scalpel and iodine did the trick.

Steve
bakeplus34pu
bakeplus34pu
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:24 am

Ok maybe we hold off on that one then! Laughing I been talking stories with Cody and he said he had done it on quite a few they he would sell to high fence ranches and figured it would put some trophies in the forests!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  nshunter Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:52 am

Vidinha wrote:Rajah, you going make some dog killazzzz.

Ted and I hunted up Kulani with some friends and caught one with no ears and no tail. Out of the three boars we caught this one messed up the dogs. The buggahs had nothing fo grab.
nshunter
nshunter
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:05 am

Yeah nsHunter! I've heard of a few guys doing that but that is a gaurantee way to get a few dogs wrecked especially the guys who use the straight track and grab packs. I am looking more into bigger pigs with bigger tusks cause it's hard enough for my dogs to get the pig stopped with ears and tail! Laughing
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:03 am

Howzit my bradda, Sorry about that was thinking about if you were raising pigs from birth. Like bradda Steve My grandfather and Uncles all had piggeries and we had pigs all our life both wild and domestic. Growing up we did it similar to what steve had mentioned but maybe 5 yrs or so ago I did some animal control for a commercial piggery that was having problems with the wild pigs coming down and trying to mingle with thier herd. Being that we used to raise pigs etc. I started talking with the owner about all kine stuff the neatest being artificial insemination which was pretty cool I helped him with this and it was A TRIP!!!! BUt anyway the talk eventually got around to castrating and when he told me that the best time was 3-5 days I was like HAH!!! Thought he was pulling my leg or something so one day after checking the traps he asked if I would like to help him castrate couple batches of his piglets so I said SHOOTS!!

The whole time im with him he has no knife no scalpel no nothing so im beginning to wonder if this guy is for real. So he checks out the piglets he wants to do shows me which ones then goes to a drawer at the end of the run pulls out a PAIR OF SIDE CUTTERS and walks back over. Of course I had to ask what was the pliers for and he just laughed at me and said to castrate with. By then I was like c'mon now and he mustve seen the look on my face so he just smiled grabbed one of the baby boars lifted um up by ONE back leg (important he told me) made on neat snip at the sack area and with his thumb squeezed out the balls which at this age is kinda like a paste for lack of a better word and he was done. We mustve done maybe 50 or so and I was just trippin out never seen it done like that and the best part very little screaming very little to no blood and boom youre done. From the time you grab the pig till you put it back down maybe 10-20 seconds. The cut is pretty small and healed up pretty quick as he showed me some he had just done not to long ago before ours and they had pretty much healed up by then.

Now back to the subject Timing of castration Icon_biggrin yeah if you going cut the wild ones you catch then just cut 'um. The important things to remember is make your cut on the bottom of the sack (its going to be the top of the sack when the pig is on its back) this allows the cut to drain and DO NOT cut through the cord this is VERY IMPORTANT rather shave it back n forth until it breaks free this will help the bleeding. You can cut the webbing but not the cord.

Note to above: Ive seen it done with just cutting the cord and sometimes the pigs died. Shaving was just the way I was taught and after countless pigs I cant remember any dying from bleedout. So this is just my opinion only hope it helps!

For the Filer's as we call it yeah its best to do it young so the tusk will grow out they will be dull but will grow long if given the time to grow them.

Aloha and Goodluck with your endeavor,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:14 am

Got it Muns! Thank you for the pointers! My dog is almost solid again now so I should be able to get back in the race soon!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Hui-Laho-Nui Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:47 am

eh, real fast....are u guys talkin bout jus poundin out da filers? or how would u hemo dat? does anybody really do dat? what is da outcome?
Hui-Laho-Nui
Hui-Laho-Nui
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:50 am

Howzit Varner! You take a pliers or dykes (side cutter) and bust um off when they're young so they cannot file um down and they just keep growing ending up having a better chance of being a curlah and a younger one.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:10 am

Yeah Bradda Isaac get 'um, We used to use side cutters/dykes.

Aloha!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum