Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Castration???

+3
CAVE CANEM
steady n' ready
Koa Boa
7 posters

Go down

Castration??? Empty Castration???

Post  Koa Boa Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:30 am

Aloha Hunta's,

This post is mostly for off island hunta's but Oahu hunta's feel free to add if you have something to add!

The recent threads on castration and watching 808sato's videos brought up this question. When I used to hunt big island a while ago we used to castrate choke pigs and len'um go big boars too. So I was just wondering how it is nowadays? What have been your guys experiences over the years regarding this?

Growing up here we did it alot too where my Grandpa lived.

Im just curious thats all!

Mahalo for your guys input......Aloha, Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Castration??? Empty lahoole

Post  steady n' ready Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:02 am

I have a strong belief in castrating boars...cut and release, not only to get some nice lahooles running around and better meat, but also to conserve. Not only killing what i catch, but taking the time to castrate and let go, for myself to catch one day and others. And if everyone would cut and release more for us hunters, we all would have that much more nice lahooles running around. Especially if you have access to a area where theirs not alot of people that hunt the grounds, castrating can be a big benefit for you, cut let go cut let go, and over a few years just imagine the pigs that will be running around. My hunting parnters cousin caught one of his own lahooles that he had cut in the past, and had come to be a nice curl back, to me thats something to be proud about.

Friday night i caught a 120 pound boar with my friend...cut um let um go.
steady n' ready
steady n' ready
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Castration??? Empty Practice it!

Post  CAVE CANEM Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:21 am

I think responsible conservation and preservation of our resources are vital to our sport and to our way of life if we plan to share it with our future generations. Unfortunately some people weren't raised as close to the island or got caught up in the foreign ways and have become Ho'omaunauna or poho!

Cutting um and letting um go does 2 things, It educates them and makes it more of a trophy to catch later and it makes the meat better for consumption. Win/Win whether you hunt for food or for sport.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Castration??? Empty Re: Castration???

Post  Koa Boa Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:58 pm

Mahalo my braddas for sharing your Mana'o on the subject...Keep um comin'

Alohaz......Gotta go work Castration??? Icon_sad Castration??? Icon_biggrin
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  K KAINOA KENNELS Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:25 pm

BRADA MUNS THIS SHOULD BE FOR ALL THAT HUNT cheers WELL AT LEST THE SMALL ONES RIGHT LIKE HE SIAD WIN/WIN MAHALO GUYS.....

K KAINOA KENNELS
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:31 am

1hwnhunta yup I hear you the only reason I said mostly for outer island guys is because I know most here hunt with grabbas and alot of times by the time you get to the pig its bus up bigtime. And when come to small kine da dogs usually strecth um by the time get there. It can still be done no doubt I still cut and release boars but I just felt that due to the style of hunting its alot more prevelent on the outer islands than here thats all.

I do notice though that more grabbas are being used now then when I hunted outer island in the early eighties.

I also believe its a win/win situation

Alohaz!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:28 pm

Hey braddah muns, were i hunt i have castrated alot of hogs, and they have had a chance to grow and of course I have caught some of them after....not many!! but i have found that when the food starts to come thin the hogs i have caught have held up pretty good, of course not as fat as they should be but since the rosie apple has died we have been trying to do it more often, if there is no food and the sows are in heat the boar will thin out to almost nothing!

As you know were I go the best thing for them hogs is to cut their sacks, sad now though the pig is so thin that when the dogs do catch em you almost have to be superman to get their before they overheat and die......... Mad that being said some of the other places on oahu cutting would be a death sentence all together that blood would lead the next pack right to the hogs front door.

Wish it could be like the other islands Very Happy
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  longest finger Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:39 pm

been hunting every weekend since feb 1 up there! yah we caught over 20 boars castrated all and let go sum we even cut the ears off been seeing alot of earless pigs up there to!

longest finger
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:13 pm

Right on my braddas good to hear Castration??? Icon_cheers

Yeah Chris know what you mean too bad bout da rosie apple too that was a good part of the food source up dea.

Alohaz!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Castration??? Empty GROW SOME BALLS!!!!!

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:50 pm

Aloha Bradda Muns,
Taken from your other thread. I didnt even think about doing it on such young animals. Now I like try em.
I cant even begin to tell you how many times when "da bunch,break out" small keikis come runnin up to me. I always used to just watch em go buy cuz I mo focused on the "big hit". Now I going try scoop da lil guys up and hemo. I normally do it on young guys but these usually, physically have a lil somethin there already. Rite on.
Ball sack enlightenment. DEEEZ NUUTS ! OOOUUURRRYTE Very Happy

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:30 am

Aloha Bradda Jay,
Yeah I know I was trippin too when he told me that, I honestly didnt believe him at all until he did it. But hey learn something new everyday and im glad I did. Havent had the chance to do any wild ones that small but they should do great as the domestics we did was just like nuthin. Pick um up snip,squeeze and pau put um back in the pen and they was all good runnin around just like nothing happened.

I'll try an see if I can get in touch with him again and see if he wouldnt mind letting me video it fo da bradda's Castration??? Icon_biggrin itd be a whole lot easier to see it.

Alohaz,
Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: