Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running the dogs hard.

3 posters

Go down

Running the dogs hard. Empty Running the dogs hard.

Post  Kauai Boy Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:07 am

Lately i've been running my dogs hard and far 3 times a week and i've noticed that some of the dogs seem sluggish the next hunt a few days after a big long hunt. I know there's supplements some of you guys are giving your dogs, i just wanna know what works and what doesn't. All the years i've been hunting i've never tried any supplements. I've heard about them but never tried'em. I just feed them good and do the monthly worming and yearly shots, that's about it. But i think if the supplements works good on the dogs, maybe it's time to try'em. If there's anything other than supplements that work to help the dogs recover better and faster let me know too.
Mahaloz! Very Happy
Kauai Boy
Kauai Boy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Running the dogs hard. Empty Re: Running the dogs hard.

Post  knockout Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:37 am

sometimes i run my dogs hard too...sometimes 3-4 times a week, and i haven't found anything that helps except a long rest...i ran em hard the last 2 weeks maybe 8 times in 14 days, so i let them rest 5 days, feeding them good is the key...! just my opinion...aloha...!

knockout
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:02 pm

Alohaz Kauai Boy,

If 3 times a week is more often than usual or a "new routine" for them, I think it may take some getting used to for them to adjust but they will. I have had some good results with two products as far as prolonging endurance levels and faster recovery times after a hard workout. The first one I would take on the hunt with me for "in field" recovery,endurance and to stop the dogs lactic acid from cannibalising it's own muscle tissue. This acid accumulates inside muscle tissues, the longer and harder the dog works the higher the levels. As you already know with some dogs, by the end of the hunt they shed pounds and look like they haven't been fed for awhile even though they looked good before the hunt (body,muscle,weight wise.). The body will try to pull calories from wherever it can
to keep the muscles firing and to keep the energy levels up. Its called GO DOG from animal naturals, its a powder mixed with water. I would run only two to three dogs so carrying the water and mixing was simple for me but I would imagine the larger the amount of dogs your running the heavier the pack will be at the trailhead.
The second one I had great results with is K9 SUPERFUEL from animal naturals. I use this as an all around,performance supplement,recovery,health,vigor etc. I got pups on it right now and young adults. I recently got a young adult dog that looked like it wasnt fed for weeks.Ribs,backbone,hip bone all showing clearly.Was kinda sad really that guyz keep em like this and expect them to line boars! But whatever. It just wasn't the optimal working weight for my liking and I could just imagine the muscle fatigue this dog was going thru after a long all day hunt. He's only a little over a year old so I figured I could still bring him back to condition and go from there. After only 2 days I could clearly see the effects of recovery, I believe that I could probably bring him back with just plain dog food but it would take much longer and burn up alot of feed at the same time. Also I didnt just want to get him fatter.I want to strengthen muscles,add muscle tissue and overall strengthening him as much as I could (immune system etc.) This two products I have used and seen results firsthand. I guess its like going on a diet "individual results may vary" LOL!
There are other canine performance supplements out there that guys swear by and sometimes get into heated debates over. Many are used by Pit bull fanciers to build muscle mass, pulling endurance etc. I am in no way putting other products down as I have not tried them and cant make a fair statement however I have used these with results. Again, like humans we all have different metabolic rates so Im not saying "guaranteed to work" or "instant miracle cure" Just 2 cents-ing it.

Good luck and keep runnin em hard!
Alohaz

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai Boy Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:12 pm

Yeah the 3 times a week far hunts is different for this new batch dogs i get and they're young too. Years ago I used to run my dogs 4-5 times a week but was all short hunts so i never did see the dogs get sluggish so this is new to me. So mahaloz braddahs for the replies and the rest of the huntaz no shame post up Very Happy .
Kauai Boy
Kauai Boy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum