Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

propane cylinders

+2
UpFront
timmy96815
6 posters

Go down

propane cylinders Empty propane cylinders

Post  timmy96815 Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi, Do you guys know where we can recycle these? When they are used up what do you guys do with the used up containers.
Thanks
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

propane cylinders Empty Re: propane cylinders

Post  UpFront Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:14 pm

are you talkin the kind for BBQs? You just refill em.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  evan Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:11 pm

drunken
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:35 am

No like the ones that you use for lanterns, they are as round as a liter bottle and a little shorter

http://www.3mutts.com/image-html/propane-cylinder-image.html
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikestr Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:35 am

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/faq/faqreturn.asp?question=26

Knowing this state, we don't have a recycling procedure for propane cylinders. When I go the the refuse transfer stations there is an area where the 20lb tanks are place for disposal. I would guess these tanks are empty.

The link above says there is a piece that's attached to the cylinder verifying that it's ready for recycling or disposal, but these are the new GREEN cylinders.

Aloha, Ike
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:46 am

Don't throw em away!!!! Refill them and save yourself big bucks!!! For about 3 years I lived in a homestead off the grid and lit my house with propane lanterns. I had about 20 of them that I just refilled each week with a coupler that I bought from Cabelas. I've also seen the valve locally at Airgas, and I think at Home Depot too. The coupler ataches to the standard BBQ tank, and you just screw them together, open the valve on the BBQ tank and wait a minute or so. Refill them outside, and check each one for leaks. Occasionally, an older 1lb cylinder would start to slow leak prematurely, but most of the time I refilled each cylinder about a hundred times before I tossed it.

E-Z Propane Filler Coupler
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:17 am

Good advice Maui. I will take it. I am preparing for a 1 week fishing trip to ketchikan in August. I will be cooking my own dinners from the shore and rental car. I was thinking of getting a propane stove or burner or something and then the question turned into this thread.

You guys recommend any good car camping stoves. But not too big. It has to fit in my luggage.
Thanks
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikestr Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:47 pm

Timmy Stop!

Don't go buying anything until you find out what you can put on the airplane. Ignitable or combustible vapor or liquid is a BIG negative. Open flame instruments, cowboy matches and most lighters, BIG negative. Stove, you'll have to prove gas is not attached or inside of the box.

I'd hate to see anyone lose money for preparing for an awesome trip only to find the airlines won't accept it.

Aloha, IKe
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  gotblika Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:51 pm

Follow the advise above. If I remember correctly once gas has been run thru an item, it won't be able to fly. Check with the airline or TSA website. Propane cylinder definitely no go.

gotblika
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:19 am

A couple years ago, I wen go Oahu to camp. Picked up a brand new propane 1 burner, still in da box and never used. When I went to go check in for my flight, they saw my backpack and asked about stoves. I told them it was in there, but w/o fuel. I knew propane was no go, but figured the stove would be fine. NOPE. They wouldn't let me take it in my checked bags. The lady said there may still be fuel in the lines. I told her it was brand new, never opened, but she still wouldn't go for it. Hawaiian Ailines wouldn't hold it for me until I got back either. I tried to call a friend to come pick it up, but he never answered. With 20 minute before departure, I finally had to toss it in the trash--lucky it was only cheap $20 stove from Walmart or Sports Authority. When I got to Oahu, I had to buy another. Then when I went to fly back to Maui, they asked me the same thing. I told them no more one stove, only some tools and stuff. It flew fine. So maybe plan on picking up a cheap propane stove when you get to Ketchican, and be prepared to donate it to someone when you leave. Then you can avoid any airplane hassles.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gotblika Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:27 am

Every bag gets x-rayed now, so don't plan on lying.

gotblika
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  gotblika Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:32 am

Camp Stoves - These can travel as carry-on or checked luggage only if they are empty of all fuel and cleaned so that there are no vapors or residue left. Simply emptying the fuel container will leave flammable vapors. We recommend that you ship the fuel containers to your destination ahead of time - passengers frequently have to leave them at the checkpoint because of fuel vapors.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1187.shtm

gotblika
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum