Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics

+10
timmy96815
milo
PORKHUNGRY
K KAINOA KENNELS
Kauai808
Babooze
UpFront
bigislandhunter
CAVE CANEM
AK Andy
14 posters

Go down

Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics Empty Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics

Post  AK Andy Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:11 am

Howzit Guys,
I am finally back to AK from an awesome 21 days on Kauai and Big Island. My friends, Robert, Lionel, Ernie, Harrison and Butch hooked me up with aloha beyond compare. Also major mahaloz to my friends Billy and Jaylene Lane who let me crash at their place. I can't really tell you all in this post how much fun I had, it was like a Grand slam of action and adventure and the stars were in alignment the whole time, honestly a dream come true. I never could have been so successful without all my friends helping me dial in on the pigs, goats, sheep, and a peacock too. Plus I caught a few papio while whipping and also flyrodded a bunch of reef fish while wading and also hand caught a tako too. My good friend Hog Wild (Robert C )and other friends helped me go hog wild, both dog and knife and tree stand. I sat a total of 34 hours in several treestands- managed to arrow 3 boars and one sow from them, also bagged one boar from the ground. I used a spear a few evenings while trying to fulfill a lifelong dream of spearing a hog, I got one 10 yard throw at a boar and hit 2" too low and only cut him across the chest, but it was close, just some blood on the spear, the miracle was that 3 days later and over a mile away from that spot I shot the exact same boar with an arrow from my bow and dropped him with one hit to the spine, the cut across his chest proved it was the same boar I barely missed 3 days earlier with my spear (check out the picture). My friends and I also gigged a few bullfrogs, that I just had for dinner tonight from the freezer, I forgot how ono they really are, even after having eaten them a lot as a kid. It brought back memories I lucked out and got a nice half curl moulfan ram on big island major mahols to my buddy Harrison, plus a couple really big billies and a fat nanny- the big billy was 23" but huge bases and I decided to get him mounted. A highlight on Kona side was to stalk peacock a few times but failed, just as I'd estimate yardage and draw they would be gone, only to try one last time while Robert called out 50 yards, I could see the blue peacock through a small hole in the brush and held the 50 yard pin on him and released- whack! it nailed him in the thigh, then he could not run , but he could fly and I had to chase him down across the a'a for 75 yards. THE most beautiful bird I ever killed, and I grew up shooting pheasant, wood duck, and wild turkeys. His tail goes on the wall with my grand slam of turkey fans.
We then dog n knife hunted a huge 200+ pound big island boar and a nice 125ish fat sow. Big Island was awesome! Back on Kauai I sat treestands more and arrowed a few more good eating 75-100 pound hogs, plus dog n knifed a real nice 2+" shanker boar with Lionel guys and ohana (another highlight of the trip). My luggage was full of frozen pork and meats, goat horns and boar jaws- a true testament to how much fun I had with my good friends. I already am thinking and planning about how I can afford to come back next winter, I just fel in love with hunting hogs, what a challenge, the wind got me busted a bunch, think I gotta try using scent lock next year. This year I again used the scent killer sprays, but still got busted a few times. Hard to fool a hogs nose!
Anyhowz, I hope you like to check out the pics I am gonna post from my trip, I feel so lucky to have been blessed with so much luck and friendship during the hunts and also to have my wife and son come after the hunting and enjoy the beach and hiking Koke'e trails and all.
Alohaz Braddahs, and mahaloz for checkin out my post and pics. HArd to figure which pics to post, I got too many awesome hunt pics just makes me grin from ear to ear.
AK Andy
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics DSCF1012
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics PICT0298
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics PICT0222
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics PICT0271
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics PICT0258
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics PICT0206
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics DSCF1194
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics DSCF1099
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics DSCF1074
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics DSCF1067
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics DSCF1057
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics DSCF1029
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics DSCF1025
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics DSCF1019
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics DSCF1014
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics Picture605
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics Picture612
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics Picture616
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics Picture625
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics Empty Re: Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics

Post  CAVE CANEM Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:23 am

Right on Andy! That is one action filled trip!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics Empty Re: Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics

Post  bigislandhunter Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:43 am

Right on Andy looks like you got hooked! Where did you get the big goat? Those are some nice animals
bigislandhunter
bigislandhunter
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  AK Andy Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:05 am

Howzit Bigislandhunter, and Cruzah,
Big black goat came from one ranch Kona side- 30 yard heart shot, he was coming to get water and was all sentry up on a rock pile at 100 yards and surveying for minutes, then coming closer and getting up high to survey the scene again for minutes, I sat still acting like a tree root until he finally came in and gave me a perfect quartering away angle, I was stoked to whack him, I shot a few goats with bow the past few years, but he was by far the biggest I ever got- I was stoked at his bases, have seen some wider in the tops but none that thick at the bottoms. I can hardly wait to get the mount back, all black it'll look nice next to one of my white dall sheep rams.
Aloha,
AK Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  AK Andy Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:11 am

I gotta add that the last pic of the nice 3" ivory boar hanging was one my friend Lionel whacked with his bow, but I saw it tumble down the mountain after he dropped it. That was a great day with his big boar and my smaller spotted one, plus one small billy all with archery tackle. Just like in AK, Happiness is a heavy packload!
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  bigislandhunter Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:20 am

Right on, yeah he will look nice, good job
bigislandhunter
bigislandhunter
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Great work Andy! looks like you did real good. It looks like that spear throw was pretty damn close to being a kill. I can't believe you got a second chance at him and finished him off with the bow! that's awesome.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Babooze Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:01 pm

Good People, Good Action, How could you not enjoy that??? LOL Some real nice animals there! Glad you had a great time!

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Man, thats one good vacation! Lots of game in the bag. If I knew you guys where hanging out at lionel and kalau's house I would of cracked a beer with you guys. Good job Andy!
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  K KAINOA KENNELS Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:18 pm

WOW CRAKENUM ANY KIND ANIMALS GOOD JOB

K KAINOA KENNELS
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics Empty RE

Post  PORKHUNGRY Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Braddah look like u had 1 blast all kine action right on

Aloha PORKHUNGRY clown
PORKHUNGRY
PORKHUNGRY
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  AK Andy Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:15 am

Yeah Brah, I had the time of my life, the greatest down to earth friends a guy could ever have, topped off with tons of action.....THE Best all around fun ever.....and the food! Wow! plus frog legs for dinner last night and some Kalua pork and cabbage tonight....life is real good here on my remote home island in Alaska....I feel so blessed by my friends and the hospitality of their ohanas , it was a great break from the AK winter and darkness, days are lighter now, I feel like my batteries are all recharged, it is 45 degrees today (warm for Alaska this time of year) *and warmer than Mauna Kea at night too (I actually saw frost while hunting mouflan)- trees up here are all drippin today, snow meltin, I can hardly wait for spring and summer, soon salmon will be back and the fun (and work) begins. Bears will be out again soon (within 6-8 weeks)- that's my next hunting opportunity- I feel like I came back from Paradise to my own little slice of paradise, but I already miss HI. You guys got it made braddahs, hunting all year long with no closed seasons....now that's paradise. I got spoiled having so much adrenalin pumping action day after day. Now I dream of big tusks and billy goats- and mouflan rams too. Trippy parallels between AK and HI. In general you guys are surrounded by the nicest folks ever- count your blessings. You can be sure I will fly back the first chance I get. Mahalo Nui Braddahs!
Aloha,
AK Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics Empty Great Pics

Post  milo Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:07 am

Great pics Andy. I'm in Alaska as well, but planning to hunt Hawaii next winter (spring break 2011?). I've done a some research so far, but just got registered on this forum. Would you mind if I pm/email and pick your brain a little on where to get started. Have some tentative plans already, but more info is always good. Looks like you had an incredible time!

What remote AK island are you on? I'm near Los Anchorage.
milo
milo
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:03 pm

Nice pics Andy, I laughed when I saw the peacock. How was it? I can't stand those birds, huge pigeons to me. Some day I want to take one myself.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  AK Andy Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:56 pm

Sue Milo, drop me a PM.
Howzit Timmy, yeah the peacock was great fun, I laughed too, I was happy whacking him at 52 yards, then a great chase after- I figured it would taste between a turkey and pheasant and I was right, it was soooo ono brah! I cut the breast meat into long finger strips (across the grain) and then shook them in a bag of shake n back chicken fry mix and dropped them into 1/4" of super hot vegetable oil in a fry pan- then cooked quick until brown and crispy then flipped to crisp the other side........I found it was delicious and I think everyone else who ate some thought the same thing. If you caught one and cooked it same way then I think you would not be disappointed. I left the legs but was wishing I had kept them for slow cooking in a soup.
Just yesterday I mounted the tail- I did not have enough wall space to fan it out, so I had to keep it narrow, and the wings were so nice I had to put them in there too. Plus I boiled the skull and used peroxide to make it white. I'll include a picture of it.
Aloha,
AK Andy
Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics DSCF1358
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:19 pm

Sounds like you had fun Andy. It's great to hear about your adventures. I was gonna invite you come hunt Maui, but I don't think I can guarantee you the kind of action you had on the BI and Kauai. Sounds like you connected with the right people to hook you up.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AK Andy Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:50 am

Howzit MauiRhino,
Right On man, having never been there I sure would dig hunting Maui. I have heard the bird hunting there is good. Someday I plan to hunt axis on Lanai or Molokai, and someday I want to bowhunt a corkscrew horned feral sheep ram. I think sheep are pretty challenging to hunt in general. I am hooked on hogs and goats too. Sure the action I had this trip was outstanding, and that was primarily due to my friends helping me get all dialed in. But to me it is not all about the action as much as the friends. Plus getting to explore a new scene is really part of what it's all about for me. Don't get me wrong, I just love whackin and stackin and action gets me pumped because I am usually a man on a mission about the meat and I rationalize my vacation expense into thinking I save money on buying food by catching it (I never do the math), and the satisfaction and taste of self caught meats and fish is my thing. But fun with good friends is really the main thing that makes memories. I dig solo hunting too, Logging 34 hours while sitting in treestands took some patience, plus we hiked many long hard miles on some of the hunts - I had a blast for sure, the challenge I learned was defeating the hogs noses, the trades were blowin hard and despite spraying down religiously with scent killer sprays every time before going on stand I still got busted by the bigger smarter hogs a few times, I could see them sometimes, hear them other times and even smell them others- this trip was the first time I could smell the difference between boar and sows before seeing them. My nose sucks, so If I could smell them then they sure could smell me. I passed a few chances at a hapai lookin sow, some smaller sows and some 30-50 pound hogs, I was glad to whack the fat lookin 80-ish pound hogs for the meat, but one of those I shot too soon and found he was being followed by a bigger boar who came in and tusked him in the ass after he ran and dropped from my arrow hit- too far and thick to shoot. Someday there will be a big tusk dozah for me to stick an arrow into, this time I had great fun puttin the coup de gra on two really nice boars while dog n knife hunting- and that was as exciting as it gets there brah! I still am on cloud 9 about it all.
anywayz, nice of you to post man, maybe someday we will cross paths. I am still in search of the perfect all around medium sized backpack- maybe someday I can employ your services to manufacture me just exactly what I want. We could cannibalize some of my old packs to make one perfect customized one perhaps?
Aloha,
Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Hog Wild and a ton of fresh HI hunting pics Empty CCHHHEEEHHHOOOOOOO!!!!

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:18 am

Alohaz AK ANDY,

WOW! Talk about making the most of the time spent!! Could you have dreamed it better??
Sounds like BIG FUN. Very Happy I'm glad you got a taste of GENUINE ALOHA not some commercialized version of it, da real deal that most visitors will never see. Congratulations on all your trophies and memories! Very Happy Very Happy
Nice,very nice.

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai Boy Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:40 am

Andy, you had the whole meal deal.....Super size! Very Happy Right on, good braddahs took care of you. Very Happy
Kauai Boy
Kauai Boy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  4X4TOYOTA Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:21 am

wassup braddah andy
i just hunted with harrison n jeff this past weekend
we cought a good size boar about 140+ with 3" hooks
but we never take um just cut his nuts let him go.
we were looking for a big fat sow meat for the freezer
aloha
iKaIkA

4X4TOYOTA
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum