Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

big island hunting

4 posters

Go down

big island hunting Empty big island hunting

Post  UPCOUNTRYHUNTING Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:40 am

is there any hunters that hunt hogz on saddle road, if so hows the action?
UPCOUNTRYHUNTING
UPCOUNTRYHUNTING
Piglet
Piglet

http://www.cbcages.webs.com

Back to top Go down

big island hunting Empty Re: big island hunting

Post  Turkey Joe Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:19 pm

There's hogs to be had in the archery area, Kipuka Ainahou, on the Mauna Loa side of Saddle Road. Getting across the a'a can be a real pain. Mauna Kea doesn't have many pigs, and there's a trapper working to reduce the numbers of hogs that are there. Closer to Hilo, when you get into the forest reserves full of tangle fern, there's pigs. I've seen a few on the side of the road around mile markers 11-13.
Turkey Joe
Turkey Joe
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:31 pm

Johns.welding

Hogs can still be found in areas along saddle. Numbers are not as high as in the more forested areas though.
Here along saddle I call them "bush pigs" they dont carry the weight as in other areas and are somewhat more scraggly in appearance, some even lacking the beautiful razor that boars are known for. Many have sun burned hairlines that is basically bare skin or patches of hair. The openess of the terrain does take its toll on them physically. The quality of meat is not as good as in other areas (mac nut, forests).

The length of saddle road is primarily open to bowhunting only, that is until you descend into the Kaumana area above Hilo. This is where dogs and knives are employed. So be sure to check all legal hunting areas first.

The avatar picture on the right of this post is a Laho'ole taken from a public archery area just off saddle road.

Good luck - Alohaz

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UPCOUNTRYHUNTING Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:12 pm

Mahlo u guys for answering, dats some cherry chops from the archery area. i neva know get pigs like that up saddle Aloha....
UPCOUNTRYHUNTING
UPCOUNTRYHUNTING
Piglet
Piglet

http://www.cbcages.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:54 am

I used to go up there around 2005 and 2006. Was good. Mostly archery but it's firearms and dog and knife above Hilo side. I mostly stalked with rifle and for me, I never had any problems. If I covered enought ground, then I usually came out with a pig. Check the rules and regulations. In the lava flows, hit up the kipukas for pigs. I used to walk the edges and listen. The uluhe-ohia areas are not as good as the hapu'u and koa forests but still get game. Google earth comes in handy in that terrain.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down