Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More B.I. Hunting ?'s

2 posters

Go down

More B.I. Hunting ?'s Empty More B.I. Hunting ?'s

Post  Instinct Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:04 am

Alrite my friends...its time for me to take a vacation and i cant wait til Sept for my Montana Elk hunt to hunt something diff than goats n pigs so i fig i want to go over to the big island from maui and hunt Sheep! Ive been to the Island before but spent most of my time at volcano (which was very kul by the way) and realized they call it the big island for a reason. I was amazed at how much land there is over there and most of the time i didnt even feel like i was on an island! But anyways back to the hunt....I really want to get a prize sheep n have it mounted. I will only be hunting archery and was planning on hunting areas A (which i will wear my orange vest) E and G. Now i have contacted the DLNR over there and they havent gotten back to me yet but in Unit A it says sheep/goats are open yr round n daily so thats pretty clear cut. But unit E seems to have 3 different areas and require tags and is only on weekends so how difficult is it to obtain these tags? is it something i need in advance? And Unit G says Daily***what is that special requirement? I am planning on staying in the cabins at mauna Kea (which i think have drinking water but no showers?) so im in the hunt area unless there is a close hotel to stay at? How far is the nearest town for food n ice? Any info would be great i dont expect gps coordinates to your best spots I actually like to find those areas on my own but any info, suggestions, would be great! Thank you in advance. Would like to be there within the next 3-4 weeks at the latest!
Brett
Instinct
Instinct
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

More B.I. Hunting ?'s Empty Re: More B.I. Hunting ?'s

Post  bigislandhunter Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:39 am

Well I will break it down for you a little. Unit E is Pohakuloa, Puuanahulu and Kipuka Ainahou. For Pohakuloa you dont need any tags and it is open only on the weekends. You call a hunting hotline and they tell you what is open for the days. Sometimes they do Training so you cant really guarantee they will open. Puuanahulu on the other hand is a tag hunt. You can acquire the tags at the DLNR office in Hilo or Kona. That is a 1 billy, 1 ram a day. They are open from the first weekend in March and they close on the last weekend in June. Now Kipuka Ainahou is a pretty good sheep area. They are open every weekend from March till right before bird season I believe (check the regs to make sure). Now Unit A is all of Mauna Kea. I wouldnt advise to go with bow cause you can go with rifle, but if you like the challenge try um out. If you really want to hunt Mauna Kea with bow then go to Kaohe, that is considered Unit G. You wont find any goats, but you will find sheep. Kaohe is open year round every day and you have no bag limit, EXCEPT for pigs, it is still 1 a day. The only places you need a tag is Puuanahulu and Puuwaawaa. Puuwaawaa opens usually in late September but this year it doesnt look like they will open because of the Fire Hazard. You might want to check because I have heard that Mauna Kea might be closed ( well half the mountain)...not too sure on this but it is what I heard. If you want a nice sheep, I would say concentrate on Kipuka Ainahou. They have quite a bit of sheep and they do have very nice ones that you would want to put on your wall. I am not sure about the MK cabbins but they are right in the middle and would be a good place to stay. The closest place to food and ice would probably Hilo side. (45min drive) A lot more to write and I am sure other guys will help out, if you need more help, just send me an Email demattor@onid.orst.edu
bigislandhunter
bigislandhunter
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum