Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pig hit by car.

+4
evan
CAVE CANEM
MAUKAKANE1
Kauai808
8 posters

Go down

Pig hit by car. Empty Pig hit by car.

Post  Kauai808 Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:54 am

Seen a pig in the road today that was just hit by a car. I went to turn around but somebody got him first. Anything I should watch for if i get another one? Pig would have to be recently hit for me to take him.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Pig hit by car. Empty BANG BANG!!

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:16 am

True. The more recently the better! pig Hopefully it's a head shot,I imagine there would be alot of bruising if it was a body shot. Just my best guess though.

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Pig hit by car. Empty You kill um ,We grill um!

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:31 am

One night on Queen K highway I was following a Roberts Hawaii bus back from Waikoloa and just as I had the thought to pass I saw a few shadows run across the road and collide with the front of the bus and spin off the highway and land on the side of the road so I turned around to check it out and it ended up being a nice size Billy that was still alive and groaning so I went back to the car and grabbed out my knife to finish it off. I thought about taking it home but I believe the bruising caused by a tour bus going 60 mph would be excessive so I dragged it off into the lava fields and finished him. If the animal is still kicking then it may be worth it to load um up and inspect the meat once home rather then leave um in the road to rot.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Pig hit by car. Empty Re: Pig hit by car.

Post  evan Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:46 am

only one time have i messed with roadkill. My friend watched a 150lb boar get hit and pulled it off the road by Anini and brought it to my house. I started cutting it up and had guts herniating through the hams. Never again will I pull pork off the road.
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:32 am

evan wrote:only one time have i messed with roadkill. My friend watched a 150lb boar get hit and pulled it off the road by Anini and brought it to my house. I started cutting it up and had guts herniating through the hams. Never again will I pull pork off the road.

haha good to know.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  evan Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:28 pm

Like Mauka Kane said, Ive heard of people getting pigs that got wacked in the head and they're fine though. If it took a body shot I'd leave the thing.
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Pig hit by car. Empty Been there, Done that

Post  Vidinha Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:07 pm

If was body shot all you going get is dog food,lol. Even then, the dog shit going be so rancid from all the bruise meat n clotted blood it's not even worth your time
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.cory-vidinha.magix.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:22 am

Couple years ago my girlfriend called me all upset. She had left right before sunrise to go work when she hit a doe a mile or two from our house. She told me she clipped the head and it spun around and lay in the road. I asked her to drag it off the road until I got there, but she no like. By the time I got there a few minutes later, another car had run it over again, but didn't stop. I pulled it off the road, hoping to salvage the hindquarters, but it was too pilau for bother with. All the meat was messed up, and covered in crap, piss and bile. Then another truck stopped and asked me if I like the deer. He went take it home......I sure wasn't desperate enough for that meat.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Pig hit by car. Empty road killed meat

Post  AK Andy Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:26 am

Howzit Guys,
I have eaten my share of road killed meat. sold a ton of road killed fur too, like you guys say, some is too badly bruised up but some is awesome.
road killed moose and road killed caribou have been my food up here in AK, but when I grew up my family and I had road killed deer and even road killed rabbit and squirrel that made it to our dinner table and my freezer- if it is fresh and maybe just the head or one side or one leg is messed up then the other backstrap or round roast is good- it all depends on how the bugga was hit, if you got the time and you don't have a ton of meat put away it might be worth the time to skin out and see what you got, if not then what have you got to lose because it will get wasted anyways. Just my 2 cents worth.
Aloha,
Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:11 am

First roadkill I ever tried, my friend's mom clobbered one with her big ford truck. Went right under the tire. 120 pound boar and was horrible. Dark black blood and intestines herniating from random places in teh back legs. 80% of the meat was shot. Very banged up though I did get some meat. I vowed never again to eat roadkill. ...Second roadkill, was a sow, paralized but still alive and we finished her off with a knife. She was okay but with bruising and broken bones. Third I heard one was dead on the side of the road at kilauea farms. Got there and it looked fine with some abrasions and a broken shoulder. so i proceded to clean it on the spot on my way to work. That one was good and except the broken front leg was fine. Maybe it had gotten hit a second time after being dead because it had broken ribs with minor bruising, almost no bruising. Then I helped some people clean one the other day that they hit and it wasn't pretty but had plenty salvageable meat. The main theme with roadkill is that some of the meat will be too badly damaged but there is usually still good meat to be had. Looks like I'm four roadkills deep.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 am

Nic Barca wrote:First roadkill I ever tried, my friend's mom clobbered one with her big ford truck. Went right under the tire. 120 pound boar and was horrible. Dark black blood and intestines herniating from random places in teh back legs. 80% of the meat was shot. Very banged up though I did get some meat. I vowed never again to eat roadkill. ...Second roadkill, was a sow, paralized but still alive and we finished her off with a knife. She was okay but with bruising and broken bones. Third I heard one was dead on the side of the road at kilauea farms. Got there and it looked fine with some abrasions and a broken shoulder. so i proceded to clean it on the spot on my way to work. That one was good and except the broken front leg was fine. Maybe it had gotten hit a second time after being dead because it had broken ribs with minor bruising, almost no bruising. Then I helped some people clean one the other day that they hit and it wasn't pretty but had plenty salvageable meat. The main theme with roadkill is that some of the meat will be too badly damaged but there is usually still good meat to be had. Looks like I'm four roadkills deep.

Is that the one that was between kilauea farms and rock quarry road? If so thats the one I was gonna grab.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:47 am

No was right at the west corner at the makai Waiakalua rd. I almost hit a good size boar right over there one morning in the rainy dark. Had to make a mean swerve to miss it. 150 pound boar and a rusty old ford probably don't mix well at 50 mph.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum