Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bowfishing

+3
CAVE CANEM
K KAINOA KENNELS
UpFront
7 posters

Go down

Bowfishing Empty Bowfishing

Post  UpFront Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:15 pm

Is anybody here into it?
Does anyone know what the regs are here in Hawaii?
I am headed to Minnesota next month to do some fishing and my friend wants to do some bowfishing as well but I have never done it before. They have a Muzzy Extreme bowfishing kit down at Sports Authority and I was thinking about slapping it on my recurve and trying it out. My plan was to just go ocean, palu the reef, but I don't know if it's legal.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Bowfishing Empty Re: Bowfishing

Post  K KAINOA KENNELS Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:36 pm

DID NOT HEAR OF IT BUT WHEN YOU COME BACK LET ME NO WHAT KIND FISH WE EATINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG Very Happy

K KAINOA KENNELS
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:04 pm

Bowfishing here in Hawaii is under the same regulations as Spearfishing so i believe the only regulations would be the size limits on certain species of fish. You could palu and see what you can bring up or you could lace up your hiking boots and cruise the coastline. If you plan on going the palu method you just gotta factor in what fish you plan on eating tonight and change up the ingredients. Good luck!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:15 am

Aloha Upfront,

Just watch the legal size and if the target fish has a open or closed season, other than that it doesnt seem to have alot regarding rules and regs as far as I know, maybe because it is only popular with a hand few compared to mammal hunting. This is my experience though and you should research as much as possible about it,but as I said probably not alot of info out there.
I have bought that same Muzzy outfit and love it. Simple in design and pretty rugged. It stands up well against the beating I give it combined with the salty climate so fresh water should be no problems. Im also a MUZZY Die-hard so I may be a lil bit biased. lol!
When I first started I had it mounted on a recurve and did pretty well with it. The benefit with recurve is that you can control the poundage of the shot by the length of the pull stroke. That comes in handy when fishing over rocky terrain where the arrow could miss the fish and lodge itself in the jagged rocks making recovery difficult from a high poundage compound. Having said that I have also lost fish due to the lack of penetration under certain depths (deeper shots).
Since then I have mounted it on a old compound and find it more suited to my liking. I have no penetration problems on deep shots and the constant pull of the current. However the compound compared to the recurve, with all its mechanics take a severe beating in this salty climate.The general consensus being 5-6" under target for every foot of water, but its not an exact science. Some people use water filled ballons to practice shots at different depths. However I think because you are already a hunter and have done it for a long time the mechanics of it is already within you and just like hunting big game the instincts will arise and take over so I wouldn't worry about all of that stuff. ( I did when I first started).
Bowfishing is something I never thought I would be interested in really but when I did I found out how much fun it is. This is my experience and most of the things I said are more directed for bowfishing the jagged coastline where I fish. I'm sure from atop a boat on a freshwater lake or your own islands unique coastline things are different. All in all its another hunting season that never closes. OOOUUURRYYYTTE !!!!!

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
[img]Bowfishing ImportedPhotos00003[/img]

[img]Bowfishing ImportedPhotos00001[/img]
[img]Bowfishing ImportedPhotos00000[/img]
[img]Bowfishing ImportedPhotos00002[/img]
DINNER IS SERVED. GOOD LUCK !!!!!
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:07 am

oh crap nice Uhu! now that's what I'm talkin bout. Thanks for the info Mauka.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  evan Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:49 am

nice fish! I seen nic barca stone a 9-10lb papio with his old setup.
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  REVOLUTION Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:35 pm

MEAN!!!! Dats some nice catch bet u everybody happy.Next 1 dinner on u. Aloha Bradah
REVOLUTION
REVOLUTION
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Aloha Upfront,
I really do enjoy that set-up especially the retrieve reel, so much easier than the old circular hand wound line reels. less shot drag and much faster retrieval. For the price ( little over hundred bucks here on da Big I) you cant go wrong. Good luck!!

Aloha Evan,
"stoned" 10 lb papio! Doesnt get much better than that. I'm still working on getting any good size trevally.
I had hit a 15 lb Omilu one day but it was a marginal shot at best, closer to the back of the fish. He had swam out, wrapped the line around the ONLY rock outcropping in the area two times. He then slacked up on the line and just sat there in mid-water at this point I thought he must be slowing down and weakening, then out of the blue at full throttle made a fierce straight line run causing the arrow to rip out!! Unreal power. Hopefully the next time the opportunity shows itself I'll be able to "stone shot" dat buggah too. They are so powerful anything else is a nail biting ordeal. lol! Shootz

Aloha Mauka 2 Makai,
Mahaloz braddah, Stuffed,steamed and hot oiled with some fried Kole on da side!
Da most cost effective dinner deal dis side of da Mississippi!!! OOUURRRYYYYTE!! Very Happy

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  K KAINOA KENNELS Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:21 am

WOW THAT'S SOME TOP NUCH SHIT,SOUND FRIKEN GOOD THOE

K KAINOA KENNELS
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Bowfishing Empty solid!!!

Post  honu ea Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:38 am

good shootin'. have a setup on my old pse. neva got around to shooting it down the beach. always ended up using my throw net over the bow. but now get some inspiration to bust um back out. thanx for posting pics.
aloha
paka
honu ea
honu ea
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:41 am

Maukakane, does that Muzzy rig screw into a riser insert? I neva check the package close at the store. How many mounting points is there for that. I have three recurves and the one I have with a insert is my go to hunting bow, so I dunno, I don't wanna jam that one up with all that stuff.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Bowfishing Empty Hunting for fish

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:24 am

Aloha Honu Ea,
Mahalos, Eh I know exactly whea u comin from. It's funny cuz when I choose to go with the throw net, it seems these are the days when Uhus,Uluas,and all the bigger reef fish are out and about sometimes in only a couple feet of water! Then the days with the bow is when da huge schools of O'uo o'uo, Koles, Maninis, and Ana'e seem to cover da reef! lol! Go figah!! It's like they know!
I have even brought both of em with me. I would leave the area near the truck alone, walk out with the net,work my way back to the truck and then bowfish around the truck. I noticed that the area I fish in, after the shot fish still come back to the area relatively quickly unlike the thrownet. Maybe because the single arrow doesnt cause enough disturbance like the net to keep the fish away for long. Chance um!

Upfront,
Honestly I cant remember in the packaging if there are multiple mounting options. I dont know if it can be mounted on a recurve within the stabilizer insert or the two sight mounting holes along the riser. The recurve I had it mounted on was specifically made for bowfishing (PSE Kingfisher). So on both my setups it mounted into the two universal sight mounting holes just as you would any standard hunting sight. I'm also not real familiar with traditional bows and dont know if ALL models come with sight mounting holes. I know some do but I'm sure that would be sacreligious to most traditional purists. So I'm out of the loop on that one.
I would be leery about it too if it was on my go-to hunting bow. For that same reason I had to find a old beater bow for lack of a better word, cuz the sea does really eat it up even after washing,waxing etc.

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo

[img]Bowfishing 018[/img]
Close up,jus 2 get an idea. Hopefully it does have other options for mounting on recurves.Good luck! Shootz-Aloha
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum