Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duck Tape never leave home without it / Turkey

+3
Turkey Joe
UpFront
Lyle B
7 posters

Go down

Duck Tape never leave home without it / Turkey Empty Duck Tape never leave home without it / Turkey

Post  Lyle B Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:08 am

Sup braddahs, so getting ready for spring Turkey in CO mid May. Anyways doing lots of target practice with my recurve. This one day before heading out to the range I stopped on the side of the road to pick up a roll of duck tape that was thrown out by someone. Duck tape is gold form all the Macgyver shows right. So I get to the range and realize I forgot my shooting gloves and arm guard . So i'm all irritated. Wait get Duck tape, so I striped 3 long strand and wrapped my three shooting fingers and put on my Jacket to protect my forearm. The Duck tape action worked. Ended up shooting all day. So now I know if I forget my gloves on one hunt I can rely on duck Tape. Just wondering what you guys ended up using Duck Tape for anything regarding to Archery or hunting, jus curious.

First time going for Turkey with Recurve Bow, I heard the saying "aim high watchem die, aim low watchem go" but really where is the best shot to take? No Gulitenes so no head shots jus using 3 blade snuffer.

Braddah Cory V. trying to come up in summer getting one TD Recurve being built 55#, cull the herd!!!!!!!!

Aloha, Lyle B

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Duck Tape never leave home without it / Turkey Empty Re: Duck Tape never leave home without it / Turkey

Post  UpFront Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:34 pm

I used to make Ono lures out of duct tape. Well, they were originaly supposed to be Ono lures but ended up catching Marli, Ahi, and Mahi Mahi on them as well. It all started as a bet at a friends house that I could make a trolling lure that catches fish out of duct tape. Turns out that they worked very well... the tape looks like fish skin in the water and even flashes pretty nice. Also when you get a strike but no stick you can see what bit cuz it leaves a mark in the tape.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Duck Tape never leave home without it / Turkey Empty Re: Duck Tape never leave home without it / Turkey

Post  Turkey Joe Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:13 pm

There's 3 shots that I've heard are good for turkeys...
1. pin 'em through the wings, aim for a spot at the top of their thigh.
2. center point of fan, when he's fanned out and facing away from you.
3. just above the beard, if he's facing you.

Good Luck this spring. I'm headed to MO next week for a chance at my first Eastern. I hope you bust a big one!
Turkey Joe
Turkey Joe
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikestr Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:29 pm

I've learned through work that duct tape is da bomb on blisters. If your hiking and get blisters or know your going to get blisters, put strips of da silver stuff over the problem areas and your good to go; guarans bau barrins. I put duct tape directly over a blister and it worked great. Laughing

Good luck.

Ike
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Duct Tape is great for all of your quick fix needs! I come home on many occasions with strips of tape covering holes in my pants and some times holding the pants on my waist! Laughing I also used to have a Civic and on a few occasions after thinking I could drive around the island with the car 2 inches off the ground I've had to duct tape mufflers and other parts of cars to get um home! It also comes in chrome so it is fashionable! Laughing
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:37 am

HaHa!
I seen guys use it as emergency sole repairer on the bottom of the boots.
A quick n easy pig hobble.
I have personally used it along with a t-shirt to hold in the intestines of my main dog.(comin out of forest heading to vet)
Seen people make knife sheaths out of em with cardboard.
Every once in a blue moon I see em used on ducts! What a trip.
Versatile stuff,handy would be da one.
Hopefully da Duct tape guys see this post and we can do a commercial o sumthin lol!

"All I gotta do is act ............naturally."

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Duck Tape never leave home without it / Turkey Empty duct tape and archery turkey tips

Post  AK Andy Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:05 am

Howzit Lyle B,
I keep a 1" wide long strip of duct tape and electrical tape wrapped several times over itself around the lower limb on my bow. Rarely use it, but it's there for in case I need to grab a chunk to fix somethin. sometimes just a piece of it can be used to quiet something that rattles or knocks, or squeaks on an unwanted noise from my backpack. If you need to cross shin deep water in a pinch but don't want to get too wet then taping up your pant legs tight to your boots works well before you run across.

As for arrowing turkeys (one of my favorite pastimes brah): I am not an advocate of aim high or aim low, I practice so much before I plan to hunt archery for turkeys that I am able to hit 3 shot groups into a half dollar sized area at 20 yards minimum, I prefer all 3 arrows to go into a cloverleaf group the size of a quarter at 20 yards, even better yet so that one nock from the first arrow gets busted by the second or third arrow, when you shoot that well then you gotta be super crazy religious about taking tons of laser rangefinder readings at your ambush spot to memorize landmarks so you know the many potential yardage estimates that can happen when a turkey comes on from whateva direction, then just hold dead on for that specific yardage. practice odd yardages too, like 42 yards 29 yards, 17 yards, 12 yards, and even 6 yards- toms rarely present themselves at 10 yard increments.
I shot a turkey dead once with a clean pass though when he was coming straight at me, arrow entered right beside the beard at 11 yards, he ran out of my sight to about 30 yards and fell over without any flopping I could detect (so for that straight on shot never take your eye off him after he runs, I ran right past him and looked for him too far at first and almost stepped on him on my way back to retrace the shot, no blood trail like with deer or hogs.
I shot one tom once at 27 yards (I knew it was 27 yards) and held my 30 yard pin just below the wing base, the arrow hit an inch higher than I thought it would but it instantly paralyzed him in the spine and even with mechanical 125s and a 72 pound draw it did not pass through but stopped solid on his spine, he did not move at all but was quite alive with his neck craning all around when I ran up to him laying there. just had run up and choke him. I shot one once at 23 yards that was quartering to me but he held up at a creek and down a hill from me and the arrow stuck in up to the fletching and came half way out the backside poked through him but had entered just to the side of his beard and ahead of the wing base (messed up some breast meat), on impact he tumbled and layed on his back with both wings out and legs up as I ran up and grabbed him when he tried to flog and peck me, I had jumped the creek and got wet and WHAM! he spurred me but I was clueless I'd been hit, when my adrenalin wore off I thought for sure the broadhead had nailed me in the calf from the blood on my pant leg, but it was a puncture from one of his 1& 1/4" spurs. be careful of the broadhead too when running up to a arrowed bird, dying turkeys are still powerful and the blades are still sharp.
I shot one other long beard with an arrow that unfortunately got away. He was 27 yards and I held for 30 and the arrow skewered his left leg/thigh from broadside on a downward angle and I was aiming for wing base, problem was he was 3 yards closer than I thought (so I hit low) and he started to walk left (gotta know exact yardage and should wait for stationary target), I watched him fly with my arrow for 200+ yards out across the field and hoped he would fall, I could see the arrow dangling half way through his leg the whole time he flew off and went into trees, he went into a thicket and my Dad and I searched brush for a couple hours. I am sure he was eaten by coyotes that night. Anyhow, gotta know yardage exactly for knowing what to hold for, turkey vitals are small targets, gotta be able to hit a tennis ball, and the damn thing moves, I'd aim for wing base only if broadside, aim for beard if comin in straight on (but get drawn back early), I have heard that some guys shoot into the center of a tail fan when they face away while strutting, but I'd probably wait for him to turn and still aim for wing base of what best seems center mass (they puff up and look bigger though with a lot of air filled feathers around the periphery when strutting). I tried with bow many many years and logged many hours - could never get my bow drawn back, then I'd twice gave up and took shotgun to have one walk right behind a tree when I could have drawn if using a bow, but then shot their head clean off with high brass 6's at 10 yards.
Then along came popup blinds, the best weapon in an archery turkey hunter's arsenal. Keeps you undetected and stops you from moving around too much, but good to have options and to be portable, I found archery too tough for run and gun though and prefer to stick out the time in a blind near a strut zone in morning or near roost tree in evening, decoys rock! in the blind don't keep the windows on the backside open or they will surely see your silhouette and movement, keep a minimum of windows partially open, just big enough to shoot through for covering odd angles. I shot one tom once through the door that I had to unzip partially when he was on his way in coming to my cutting , I was surprised by him when he gobbled from my backside0 barely got the door unzipped enough in time. Man this turkey talk gives me the fever. I was way into turkeys way back when before I moved to AK 20 years ago. Got my Grand Slam in 1990. PM me or e-mail if you want to talk turkey brah, (mclaughlinandy@yahoo.com) I learned a lot from the school of hard knocks and cut my teeth on turkey hunting. I used to be North Regional Turkey Trapping Director for the state of Indiana. I miss turkey hunting bigtime. sorry I got so long winded, but I love archery turkey hunting and have not done it for years. Good luck in CO. I hunted NM before.
Aloha,
Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Duck Tape never leave home without it / Turkey Empty Duck tape/ Turkey

Post  Lyle B Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:27 pm

Sup Braddahs, mahalo for sharing. All these years i've been saying duck but it's duct. Pretty cool to know that a small strand of tape can do wonders anywhere. "Aim high watchem die" is out the door. Getting pump to go right now thanks to AK Andy, thanks again for the advice. Anyways get the pop up blind and decoys. Actually going with my wife's coworkers husband and they get private land that backs up to Dept. of Land bureau. Choke animals, at his property, bears, coyotes, mulies, and loaded with turkeys. Going for 2 days. Never hunted Turkeys before but heard their eye sight is unbelievable. I guess reminds me of the feral roosters we have on the islands. More than once got busted by a rooster while hunting for pig. They spot you then start chirping. Anyways starting to chirp right now. I'll keep U boys posted on the hunt.

Aloha, Lyle B

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down