Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rangefinders??

+2
AK Andy
Lyle B
6 posters

Go down

Rangefinders?? Empty Rangefinders??

Post  Lyle B Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:32 pm

My wife going kill me, need rangefinder. With all the hunters hea, what brand u recommend for an affordable one. Stay broke so, my price range is 100-200. Which ones to stay away from. Let me know, and looking for one lite.

Aloha, Lyle B

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Rangefinders?? Empty rangefinder

Post  AK Andy Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:23 am

Hey Lyle,
Generally you get what you pay for in optics, but working with a budget of 100-200, I suggest you go with the $200 or slightly more because the less expensive rangefinders only give you line of sight distance (which works fine when shooting on flat level ground -but that rarely happens anywhere you hunt, the more spendy models have built in programming that gives you the true yardage to hold for and helps you use the right hold by telling you the yardage to hold for by compensating for uphill or downhill shots, or shots from tree stands or when shooting down from up a pali or upwards from the bottom of it. If you can afford to buy an angle compensating rangefinder I suggest you do that man. Bushnell sells them for $200-250 and up, Cabelas for $280 +, Nikon sells them for $260 and up, and Leupold sells them for $280 and up.
When you shoot upwards or downwards at a steep angle, (like from a treestand) the line of sight distance to your target might be 30 yards, but since you are aiming downward the horizontal distance is what truly needs to be held for as it is what affects your arrow or bullet flight -not the line of sight distance to the target, so you need to hold for perhaps 23 yards if the angle is steep and the angle compensating rangefinders tell you exactly the proper distance to hold for, so with a bow sight you will know which pin is most accurate. Each brand name calls this something different like the "true ballistic range" (TBR by Leupold) is same as the Angle Range Compensation ARC(Bushnell & Cabela's) is same as Advanced ID technology (Nikon) terminology.
Here's my experience, I have owned 4 rangefinders:
Years ago I bought and used one Bushnell "sport 400" , it went haywire in the middle of a mt goat hunt right when I needed it most to get a reading on a billy, then I sent it back to Cabela's for a refund and upgraded to a Leica 600, it is awesome but only gives range for line of sight distance that is accurate on level ground only (though it does have a lighted readout that works well in low light conditions) then the angle compensation technology hit the market, so I had to buy one that gave me the true distance to hold for, I bought the Leopold RX2, it was and still is awesome, but the only drawback is that the readout is not lighted and when using it in low light conditions sometimes I could not read the distance to my target. Common with hogs in the evening, or deer too at dusk and dawn. So then Leupold came out with the RX1000 with TBR, basically same thing as the RX2 but with longer range capability and a lighted read out. I love it and use it a lot.
Problem is that next year the technology will be better and the price will be less on every model when it comes to high tech gadgets brah.
I looked in the fall Cabela's and see that if you are stuck to a $200 budget and you want to get a rangefinder that has angle compensation technology built in and long range yardage estimations beyond 450 yards is not a factor, then the Black Bushnel sport 600 (which has ARC technology) would be your best bet, Cabela's brand has a VLRII model for $280, Nikon sells the Archer's choice for $260 (with the ID tech)and Leupold sells the RX750 TBR for $280. Each of those choices gives you the actual horizontal range compensation built into it. Get the best one you can afford that way you won't want a better more advanced one that much sooner.
Good luck braddah and straight shootin on the CO turkeys.
Aloha,
Ak Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Rangefinders?? Empty Rangefinder

Post  Lyle B Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:31 am

Mahalos AK., very insightful and way better than reading product reviews from customers. Anyways looking at the Nikon archers choice which seems to be right in my budget. Right on!!!!

Aloha, Lyle B

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Rangefinders?? Empty Re: Rangefinders??

Post  Misadventure Gear Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:54 am

Years ago, I bought a Bushnell Scout. It was a nice rangefinder, but on my first hunt with it, my camelbak leaked all over it, and fried the electronics. It was an expensive lesson to buy waterproof electronics. I bought another Bushnell--a cheap one because I was hurting for cash but needed a RF--and I really didn't like it. It was one that you hold horizonally, like binos. I find the ones that hold vertically are more comfortable to use. A couple years ago, I got a nice tax refund, and I bought the Nikon Archers Choice. The key reasons I bought it was the angle compensation, and because it was waterproof. I really am happy with it, but if I had to buy one today, I'd buy the Nikon 550. Although it was originally intended for rifle hunters, you can use it for bow too because the angle compensation is the same. The Archers Choice ranges out to about 100 yards, sometimes I can get it to to about 125 yards or so. The 550 got out to about 550 yards (who'd a guessed? Laughing ). This is nice, not only if you shoot both rifle and vow, but also if you want to use it for seeing how far it is across a gulch or to a distant tree you are using for a landmark, etc. It's quicker than pulling gout your map. I think the 550 runs about $280, but I believe it is worth it. Now one thing I have noticed with my Archers Choice, is it won't give you yardage in a drizzle or when you are in a cloud. My second Bushnell won't either, though. I think the water droplets in the air are diffusing the laser. That first Bushnell I had did have a rain mode, but I never got to try that out before it got wet and fried.

Bottom line, +1 to what AKAndy said about spending a little more and getting angle compensation. I've been really happy with my Nikon Archers Choice and I know you will too.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Rangefinders?? Empty RFs

Post  AK Andy Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:37 am

Hey Lyle,
Same as what MauiRhino said, I think it was moisture in the air that made that Bushnel I had go on the fritz. The Nikon Archers choice got rave reviews in my bowhunting magazines, I love my Leupold RX II (with TBR) and the RX100 with TBR- waterproof makes a world of difference when you are in wet conditions, both the Leupold and the Nikon are waterproof, I think you will really love having a rangefinder, I use it for more than just estimating distance to target, sometimes I find downed game with it, I take a reading to where it fell and then go out and look for the animal and if I can't find it then I look back at where I was exactly and take a backshot reading then walk to the area of twhere I get the exact same yardage I got the forward shot reading, then walk in a line that distance and go straight to your animal. Sometimes before a stalk I take multiple readings to various rocks, or landmarks in the terrain, so that I know that when I get to a known point in the stalk that I have general rough estimate distances to a certain spots figured out ahead of time so when I get there and the animal stands up from a bed then I already know what yardage pin to hold on him. Also I suggest you get the one with the longest range capability possible, because you will love it so much for the closer range archery shooting that you will want to use it for rifle shots someday and having one that measures long yardages will stop you have wanting to buy a better one.
Truth be told, there is a downside to the high tech gadgetry of an RF, I do not know how I got so much game before I ever owned one, fact is I used to be more skilled at yardage estimations, my eye was honed to figure out distances better, and these days without the rangefinder I am at a loss for being able to figure out yardages 30-100 yards as accurately as I used to. Using the darn thing is kind of like cheating if going primitive is your goal, but I rationalize that it is better to make accurate shot placement with an arrow or bullet no matter what means you use to make it happen. Accurate shot placement to me is key to efficient one shot kills, type of broadhead or bullet, or caliber is secondary when all that truly matters is putting one into the vitals, and knowing the exact yardage and exactly how your arrow or bullet trajectory is at the known yardage is paramount. The only way you can do that is practice enough to know how your projectile flies at different ranges (ie; how high to hold or which pin to use, or which space between the pins to hold steady at).
If you made a point to practice making blind yardage estimates and then check the actual distance with a rangefinder, then you could likely train your eye to be good at yardage estimates, this is something I should do more of. Carry extra batteries at all times.
I forgot to mention I also have the Leupold RF binoculars, they are not true ballistic range and only show line of sight yardage, but it comes in handy while you are glassing something to know the yardage to it simply with the push of a button, the batteries die all the time in the darn thing though so I try not to take too many un-needed readings with it. They are also awfully heavy for a long trip when weight is a concern. The Leupold RX models are tiny and light and are programmable so that you can set it to the caliber range of the rifle you use or the type of bow set up you use, then you can click and know how many inches holdover to use- I have not used that option yet on my RX1000, but want to read more about how to. Problem is gotta switch back and forth between arrow vs bullet, I had set up for that on my RXII once, but now use the RX1000 because of the lighted readout.
I'd love to hear if any of the guys have found any more handy uses for rangefinders while hunting. I use it constantly while on stand to remind myself of yardages in case some animal shows up in any location. I really think you will dig it brah. Maybe the guys have some other pointers too? Aloha,
AK A
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Rangefinders?? Empty Leupold RX-750 TBR vs Nikon RH 550

Post  AK Andy Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:54 am

Lyle,
I know you are lookin for the Nikon Archer's choice, no doubt it is a nice unit, but if you are thinking of gettin the NIkon rifle hunter 550 ($300+), then I think you might get more features and a slightly better unit for less money if you went with the Leupold RX-750 with TBR for $279.99.
It is waterproof and has angle compensation TBR, plus has 3 archery ballistic settings, 7 rifle ballistic settings, , has multi coated optics in 6x power. You would likely be stoked with the Nikon 550 with ID tech, or the Leupold 750 TBR- but the 750 will give you more range capability and I can speak for the older Leupold RXII and the newer Leupold RX1000 TBR and they both rock! Just had to comment- what you think MauiRhino? I know you got the 550, but it seems the Leupold 750 TBR is the better deal with more features, or am I missing something?
AK Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:38 am

LEICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Rangefinders?? Empty Leica

Post  AK Andy Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Howzit Koa Boa,
I agree Leica is the best quality. I have a Leica 600, it has the clearest field of view of all the rangefinders I have, so for the crystal it is the best, it is really nice and has the lighted display (which I like better than the dark LCD numbers) but my Leica only gives direct line of sight distances. Is there a Leica model that has angle compensation? I don't even take my Leica in the field much anymore, just to the range for targeting on level ground, so for that purpose it is my favorite. The Leupold runs a close second, but for hunting I need the angle compensation feature. The Leica I have is held horizontally like binoculars, the Leupolds are vertically held like a monocular. If Leica makes a vertical held model with angle compensation then that would likely be the nicest one to have.
AK Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:54 pm

Andy, sorry but I don't actually have the Nikon 550---I have the Archer's Choice. I was saying that if I was in the market for one RF now, I'd go with the 550 over the Archers Choice, and why I'd switch even though I am very happy with the AC......I never did look to closely at the Leupold lineup when I was shopping, but from what you say, it sounds like something to consider.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AK Andy Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 am

Rajah that MauiRhino.
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:23 am

Howzit Bradda Andy,

When I read the initaial post it was very late just got in from Kauai and I didnt read any of the other post. I did not see that he was asking for Archery type RF's So Sorry bout that I read it as he was just asking in general so thats why I posted what I did. But after reading some post this quote from you says it all My Bradda.

Aloha and Good advice,

Bradda Muns

AK Andy wrote:Accurate shot placement to me is key to efficient one shot kills, type of broadhead or bullet, or caliber is secondary when all that truly matters is putting one into the vitals, and knowing the exact yardage and exactly how your arrow or bullet trajectory is at the known yardage is paramount. The only way you can do that is practice enough to know how your projectile flies at different ranges (ie; how high to hold or which pin to use, or which space between the pins to hold steady at).
If you made a point to practice making blind yardage estimates and then check the actual distance with a rangefinder, then you could likely train your eye to be good at yardage estimates, this is something I should do more of.
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Rangefinders?? Empty Rangefinders

Post  AK Andy Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:26 pm

Howzit Braddah Muns,
Out of all my babble about rangefinders, you picked out the best part that summarizes it in a few sentences. I am kind of a gear head.
I just tryin to help the braddah buy a rangefinder that he will love and then not wish he had a better one capable of more features next year.
Mahalos,
Aloha,
AK Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  MANOA HOG HUNTAH Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:36 pm

there was a rangefinder on craigslist yesterday for $100 i think it was a nikon brand check um out aloha
MANOA HOG HUNTAH
MANOA HOG HUNTAH
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  mrmahi Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:53 am

Bre,
Check EBay too....been watching a couple of AC's and others w/ angle compensation going for around 180 new...cant afford right now though. Also got a hole in the water I am throwing money into now Sad
mrmahi
mrmahi
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Rangefinders?? Empty Rangefinder??

Post  Lyle B Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:27 am

Right on man, going checkout Ebay maybe can Sniper action!

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum