Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you have an opinion about how pigs are managed etc?

Go down

Do you have an opinion about how pigs are managed etc? Empty Do you have an opinion about how pigs are managed etc?

Post  Cheryl Lohr Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:42 pm

Dear Pet Owner/Carer,
My name is Cheryl Lohr and I am a graduate researcher in the Wildlife Ecology, Management and Conservation laboratory at The University of Hawai`i at Mānoa. I am conducting research into the beliefs and values held by people in Hawai‘i in regards to introduced wildlife (pigs, axis deer, mouflon etc) feral animals (feral cats, wild parrots, red-eared slider turtles, Jackson's chameleons etc), wildife management and conservation. This research requires that I send a survey to anyone who hunts, uses, or works with these animals.

The aim of my research is to provide information to politicians and environmental professionals so they can develop better wildlife management policies, policies that reflect the desires the people of Hawai‘i have for their islands. This is a chance for you to have a say, and for your opinion to be a part of a bottom-up approach to designing management plans for Hawai‘i's wildlife. Your opinion may change which technique (eg snares or more access for hunters) the professionals use to manage some species of introduced wildlife. You do not need any specific knowledge or training to be a part of this research, you only need to have an opinion and either hunt or work with these animals.

If you are 18 or older, a resident of Hawai‘i, and would like to receive a survey then please forward your contact details (Name, email address, telephone number, and island of residence) to Cheryl Lohr via cheryl26@hawaii.edu or 808-956-2434. I would really like to hear from people from the outer islands. All contact details will be kept confidential to the extent allowed by the law, and only used for the purposes of the above mentioned research. I can email you the full research consent form upon request. The survey will be disseminated via email as soon as enough people (~200 people) sign up to receive a survey. If you have any questions regarding this research please do not hesitate to contact me.
Yours sincerely,
Cheryl Lohr
cheryl26@hawaii.edu

Cheryl Lohr
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Do you have an opinion about how pigs are managed etc? Empty Further information on research request

Post  Cheryl Lohr Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:50 pm

Hi,
This post is just so that everyone knows why I need certain information.
The survey will be sent out primarily by email. If you don't have an email address I'll need a postal address.
Even if you do have an email address I need to know which island you live on so that I can make sure my results are not biased towards Honolulu, being as thats where the most people are.
I need telephone numbers for work following the survey. Some people won't fill out the survey when they get it and I will need to know why. Did they simply forget or were they offended by the questions?

On another note. I want to survey an equal number of hunters and conservation biologists so that both sides of the argument are equally represented. While I can contact hundreds of biologists, I have only heard from a couple of dozen hunters. So please pass on my request to anyone you know. I'm happy to attend any meetings if people would like to speak to me in person. Or you can feel free to call me on 808-956-2434.

A full research consent form is available for anyone that wants one, but here is the important information.
Research data will be confidential to the extent allowed by law. Agencies with research oversight, such as the UH Committee on Human Studies, have the authority to review research data. All research records will be stored in a locked file in the primary investigators’ office for the duration of the research project. All research records will be destroyed upon completion of the project. Data from the survey will be summarized into broad categories. No personal identifying information will be included with the research results. If you have any questions regarding your rights as a research participant, please contact the UH Committee on Human Studies at (808) 956-5007, or uhirb@hawaii.edu. CHS # 18144.

Thanks,
Cheryl Lohr

Cheryl Lohr
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum