Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First bowkill!

+3
Babooze
AK Andy
mrmahi
7 posters

Go down

First bowkill! Empty First bowkill!

Post  mrmahi Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:29 am

Been trying all day to post this, but I have had a cantankerous smoker.......
Finally, after five hunts, I harvested my first sow. I had hunted squirrels and rabbits as a kid, but never shot any large game animals. She was a small sow, around 60lbs I guess, shot her about 25 yards away through the shoulder into the heart/lung. I came upon two pigs about 50yards away and froze to see if the had seen me. They kept on eating so I slowly crept in tree by tree until I was in my shooting comfort zone. She was coming down a ridge and suddenly stopped...I thought she was going to take off, but she froze. I think she was not sure if I was a tree or something (full camo) as the wind was blowing perfect in my face. I thought she was going to bolt when I drew, but she stayed and gave me a perfect shot. She squealed, well, just like a pig, pig and took off grunting and squealing...made a loop and started heading back down the ridge tward me. I backed up a bit as I saw the arrow stick and not penetrate all the way through...didnt know exactly how tough the shoulders were and was wondering if she was going to charge. I heard nothing for a few minutes and could not see over the small ridge. I was wondering if she had cut back and headed uphill. Sat down on a stump for about 5 minutes and decided to go check as I could hear nothing.
A bit over-anxious, but I had shot a smaller pig in the exact same spot the week before, but unfortunately could not find it after three hours of searching in the rain. Was a bummer for sure...in fact I sat down after searching for 2.5 hours, and was bumming of course, then I heard something over the ridge. I crept over and saw a grunting feeding boar, tusks visable about twenty yards away. Took a shot and it went way behind him, scared him off. I could not believe I missed, but after looking at the arrow, my fletching had come loose in the center and was bulging out. Must have poked it on something while I was tromping around in the brush looking for da other pig.
Anyway, back to the story.. I came over the ridge, and there she lay, my first kill! cheers She died about five feet down the ridge from where I shot her after making a 20 yard loop as noticed from the blood trail.
Took me about 20 minutes to gut her after figuring out how to string er up and take some pics. Getting her up the hill was a chore...could not imagine packing out a big one! Yet. rabbit
http://mauigeosciences.com/Photos/Other/firstkillcooler.jpg[/img]First bowkill! FirstKillFirst bowkill! FirstKillcooler
mrmahi
mrmahi
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

First bowkill! Empty first kill

Post  AK Andy Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:11 am

Sweeeet! Congrats Mr.Mahi,
nice job- good eats too, way to go brah, mahaloz for postin the story- good luck on whackin that boar too.
Aloha,
AK Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

First bowkill! Empty Re: First bowkill!

Post  Babooze Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:14 am

Right on Bradda! Congrats on your first kill! Hope you have MANY more!

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:17 am

All right! That was a great story, and I am really happy for you. Your first one is always special!
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mrmahi Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:46 am

Shooots! Thanks braddas! Just pulled some off da grill after smoking all day and broke da mouth!!!! Was tough last night...but today I went marinade em in "secret sauce and green papaya....wen terderizem gooood!
mrmahi
mrmahi
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Huntaz Of War Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:04 am

oooo mrmahi u making my mouth watering but eh congrad on ur catch is good to c guys wit the mountain stirys that we all had ,,,so good 1 on ur catch i wish u the best i not going say good luck beacuse i hate that word but go gottem ......
Huntaz Of War
Huntaz Of War
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Instinct Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:57 pm

Eh MrMahi the first one is always the hardest and most special! You'll be slayin em left n right now. Great Job!! U make me wana cook sum up now....Smoker here i come. Congrats again on the nice sow. Very Happy Very Happy
Instinct
Instinct
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:31 pm

Congrats on yer first kill... now you got the feeevah!! bounce
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  mrmahi Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:01 pm

Shoots! Thanks for all the replies. Any recipe recommendations w/o smoking? She had almost zero fat. Definitely must use the green papaya for tenderizer. Think Ill try some stirfry next!
mrmahi
mrmahi
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:05 am

One quartered roast with all the fat, silverskin, and tendons cut off, rubbed with Hawaiian salt, half bottle of liquid smoke, dash of vinegar, and one cup of apple juice in a crock pot on low... all day. tongue
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum