Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!!

+9
KANUHA BROTHERS
UpFront
ROOKIE
evan
YOUNG DOG
Koa Boa
Babooze
Nic Barca
HYPA
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! Empty LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!!

Post  HYPA Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:18 pm

lets see ur biggest goat rack guys!!! I personaly hate goats due to some good dogs being headbutted of cliffs so i dont like to hunt them but i shot this goat a few years ago when he was trying to run from the pack...think this guy was responsible for throwing my good bitch of one cliff and causing her crack her hip.......had to send her big island to live out her life in mountain view, horns were 31 in on the longest side and the span was 38 n in between the points

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! Goat_i11

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! 00110

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! Me_and10
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! Empty Re: LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!!

Post  HYPA Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:33 am

aw come on!!! someone has got to have some rack picts!!!!
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:33 pm

HYPA, seriously, that thing is a monster. I'm almost shamed to have my best goat compared to it.

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! 2903733651_1d4dc326b3_b

27 inch tip to tip. Never got around to measuring the actual lengths yet. Kalalau valley, 2001. I kept seeing him on the cliffs above camp each day and was coming down a ridge carrying a nanny and stumbled across him and his herd. Got a bush between us and closed the distance. He walked out at 15 yards or so, I drew back, the dam nanny's leg was in the way of the string so I stepped back behind the bush, undrew, dropped the nanny and drew back again. Caught the liver.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:26 am

hey thats still a nice head nic you wont see these types of rack any more i can bet........at least not in heavily hunted areas....nice goat bud i posted this to not try and compete just wanted to see how that billy would hold up to other goats in the state..or the world for that matter...see im not a goat hunter so i wouldnt know but everyone i talked to says i was stupid not to mount it! but goats dont intrest me like hogs so i just deboned the head and let it dry in the sun........anyway was just researching
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:02 pm

Yeah, not too much. When I first started hunting down there, there were 30 inch goats all over the place. Some were even in the mid thirties (This was around Hanakoa and Pohakuao). But I'm not sure what happened. Must have been increase in hunters or something. I shot a 24 incher in my first year hunting and rememeber guys flying long shots at big billies in areas where they would fall into the ocean. Some people were really sloppy and reckless with their shots. It was times of plenty, so looking back, I guess it was human nature to misuse the resource. The years went bye and now, I rarely see anything over 25". Still pretty good hunting though.

In Kalalau Valley was a different story; Somebody had a pack of dogs running around in there. -Not actual hunting dogs but just like... a pack of free roaming dogs, essentially wild dogs. The goats dissapeared from the valley pretty fast. I imagine that they would just go up and massacre goats every day. Not a whole lot of cliffs up Kalalau Valley so they must have been easy prey. There is even a hippy with one dog who still hunts the area steady to this day. Some goats can still be found on the seacliffs but it's nothing like before. 25 to 30" billies were common up Kalalau valley. Now, your lucky to see 50 goats in a day if you walk back in there. You used to see 200 easily.

On the bright side, it was really overpopulated and the valley was polluted from all the scat. I can't imagine the valley sustaining that much goats forever. But then, it was one hell of a trophy grounds. In the meantime, the vegetation is having a break to recover.

I hear Waimea Canyon is pretty good and I seen some nice goats up there recently. About the time I shot the goat above, somebody had shot a huge goat from the canyon. My taxidermist friend was mounting it and it must have been 35 inches or more.

I see choke goats in the archery areas of the Waimea Canyon. Must still be some nice billies in there. Lately I've been riding up on mules with friends from Waimea and that place is great pig hunting. The guy I go with is telling me that the goats are overpopulated and spreading into the areas where there was never goats before and eating it to the dirt. Habitat degredation. He says that in the process they are degrading excellent pig and deer habitat into dry wastelands. Sure was a heck of a lot of goats when I went up there. They were even coming across the river onto the East side of the canyon, something my friend said never used to happen much. Real fat goats too because the frontline still has plenty of vegetation. Nice horns on many of them. Mismanagement in his opinion and he had been hunting the area for 40 years, says it's going downhill. Said the goat damage was bad before 40 years ago, now it's unbelievable. I was doing some reading and appearently the term for this scenario of is called "eruption". Not a very good thing.

Would be nice to see goats managed for quality and not quantity. I'm gonna try shooting just nannies down the coast for a while and give the billies time to grow big. Should be more food to go around too and therefore fatter healthier goats.

...well, I'll shut up now.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Babooze Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:12 pm

I would hunt goats alot more often if I liked eating them. LMAO I no really care for da Kalding!

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:11 am

if they are cooked right i can handle them but when i pack them things out the smell just kills me and i end up throwing the clothes away cuz they just smell so bad the next time they get wet. silent ...my father inlaw makes the goat quesantas style just like the pork but instead uses the goat meat....thats good stuff!!!! but im not gonna shoot 1 goat to only make 1 type of dish!!!! you know how long it would take to use up all the meat!!! Shocked

not like pork pig , soooooo much you can do with it , but goat and really the wild ones .....bra they are hauna!! affraid so when i try to make something else out of them......i can smell that odor from when i was packing em and that really turns me off from eating them scratch

any way was just woundering from the goat hunters on this site how that billy would of held up thanks for the imput guys Smile
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:13 am

Nice racks! im sure theres more pics out there c'mon guys lets see it!

HYPA I like the curls and width of you goat and yes its a shame u didnt get it mounted especially since its from Oahu Shocked Shocked

Nic I like the flare and coloration of your billy, did you get him mounted? if so would be cool to see a pic of it.
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:22 am

HYPA I guess you posted as I was writing, I believe your goat holds up very well indeed. Ive seen alot of goats dead and alive and not many was like that. Also like you wrote some hunters and record books measure horn length while others measure horn tip-to-tip spread as thier trophy definition and some combine the two measurements and also base thickness.

Wish I had pics too add, but I do like to smoke them or make curry there's ways to get rid of the smell too.

AWESOME Billy either way in my book!!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:29 am

hey thanks cuz that makes me feel good in one way and horrible in the other wish i did mount him Rolling Eyes .....(shit)...well at least i have the picts!!! Shocked

now that i want to mount one ill never see one like that again Shocked
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! Empty u still can!

Post  Koa Boa Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:49 am

HYPA if you still get the rack and its not all messed up you can still mount it but you will just need another cape thats all!

just thought id share, I know some people no like using one different cape but its all up to the person. just in case youre one of the ones who dont mind using another cape Very Happy . Its too bad cuz I just recently lost all my heads and capes as the electricity went off when I was gone. I had some cherry ones too bumma's I wouldve gladly given you one to mount your rack.
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! Empty SOME GOATS FROM THE BIG ISLAND

Post  YOUNG DOG Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:22 am

HERES SOME GOATS FROM THE BIG ISLAND NOTHING BIG THESE WERE 17'"S THE BIGGEST I GOT WAS A 26" ON THE NAPALI BUT I KNOW HERE ON OAHU WE GOT SOME BIG BILLIES UP HIGH!

YOUNG DOG
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! Empty TRYING TO FIGURE OUT UPLOADING PICS

Post  YOUNG DOG Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:27 am

SORRY GOAT FIGURE OUT HOW TO UPLOAD PICS

YOUNG DOG
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  evan Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:28 am

Try brining your goats in a baking soda/water brine. REALLY helps with gamey taste. I would do it with any big rank boars or sheep too.
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:08 am

yea koa thats something i should of done years ago Mad .....but that thing is so weathered now the horns slide off and the hread is real brittle......thanks for that offer though Very Happy
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! Empty Meat

Post  Nic Barca Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:33 am

I started removing all fat and tendons from the meat. Most of the stink is contained in the fat and tendons and you can really smell the difference after removing it. I like to marinate in teriyaki (or practically anything). Seems the longer the better. Everybody seems to really enjoy sauteed goat meat. Lately, I've been running the meat through the grinder with seasonings to make paddies that I fry up. Good stuff. Goat jerkey is good too. Most of my really big billies seemed inedible but I cant recal ever removing the gristle. I used to trim the meat, place crumpled papaya leaves on top to tenderize, marinate in teriyaki and then smoke the meat. Was good snacks back when I was in High school.

Gonna go get some more. I just picked up a Na Pali permit.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  evan Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:57 pm

lemon pepper/brown sugar goat jerky is the one! yeah nic? Put it in the dehydrator for a day and comes out really good.
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! Empty heres a pic of one I got few yrs back

Post  Koa Boa Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:03 am

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! 1893732_inch_Goat

I forget the measurements gotta look in my hunting log book.
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:13 am

nice one munsta think that he would give the old bastard a run for his mony Shocked were did you get that mamoth at Wink ,,,,not africa i hope!!!! Very Happy
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:39 am

Eh Howzit my bradda yeah he was big especially for Oahu Shocked I believe yours was wider no doubt I think he was only like 32-34 inches wide tip to tip but his horn length was pretty impressive was one dog luck one just was lucky that day thats all. He came from the same GENERAL area as yours Very Happy as you know had some donkeys up there in the past but not anymore too bad.

Since you mentioned it heres my GOAT from Africa Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! 18937Kudu_Me

Aloha's!!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:41 pm

wow i figured he probably came from the same area Very Happy Very Happy but how abut that second pict DAMN!!! YOU THINK I MIGHT GET ONE OF THOSE IN MY AREA LOL Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ROOKIE Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:39 pm

Wow! I bet the whole trip was a blast! You musta got choke meat fo smoke from that one, ah? LOL

ROOKIE
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:08 pm

Hypa eh man you neva know stranger things have happened, who knows one day wen you here your dogs actioning just might be one Kudu instead Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Rookie, Nah not really you cant import meat from africa so we did eat alot of what we caught and made biltong which is pretty much like jerky
with it but couldnt bring any home too bad cause was ONO!

This is for da hog hunta's

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! 18937Africa_04_009

Aloha's..............Maybe can get some wild boar warthog crosses dat would be mean Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:26 pm

Holy Hooked Beast Batman!! Can you imagine those things running around Nuuanu Archery Area? lol.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

LETS SEE YOUR GOAT RACKS!!! Empty nice pics

Post  KANUHA BROTHERS Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:16 am

awsome pics cuz...... it was nice to meet you at meeting.
and some of the other guys too........

KANUHA BROTHERS
KANUHA BROTHERS
KANUHA BROTHERS
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next