Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Compound Bow Search

+2
Babooze
haleiwabow
6 posters

Go down

New Compound Bow Search Empty New Compound Bow Search

Post  haleiwabow Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:15 pm

Aloha Everyone,

Got a few questions for the experts.

I have been looking at the compound bows for a while now and still have not made a decision. I have been to the Island Archer and spoke with the nice lady. I took her test bow and have a draw if 29.5 and I am 6'3" 245, I have been working out with the BowFlex holding weights with the left hand and drawing 80lbs with the other (working the whole upper body first) this is needed work for an old couch potato.

She gave me a couple of brochures I have worn out looking at and thought I would ask you guys for your opinions on proper choices. I want to buy it locally to have the tech support and spend the money in Hawaii.

Since I am a new I was thinking along the lines of a PSE Stinger or Mission Maniac with the Ready to shoot package. Do any of you have one of these bow's? I plan on buying several pratice arrows and a few bails of hay to shoot at (no targets). What else should I be considering for starters?

I would really appreciate any and all opinions.

Aloha,
Ken

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

New Compound Bow Search Empty Re: New Compound Bow Search

Post  Babooze Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:15 am

Howzit Ken, PSE and Mission both make solid bows. Main thing is the "fit" of the bow. How does it feel in your hand and at full draw. I have shot Oneida, High country, Browning, Jennings , Martin and Hoyt. All were solid bows. Don't buy in to the whole brand thing just shoot what you like. I haven't seen a Martin kill anything deader than a Mathews or a Hoyt. LOL That being said dont use hay bales for targets, your arrows will go through them like nothing. Find a roll of carpet someone is throwing away, old boogie boards or find a TV box and stuff it with shrink wrap, trash bags, grocery bags, old rags or towels real tight and you will have a target that will stop your arrows and will last a while. No shame ask questions! If you can make it to Kapolei this Saturday we are having a tournament at 9am stop by and you can see what other people are shooting and ask some questions.

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:43 am

I'm looking for a bow too but waiting for my house to be finished before I buy one. I liked the feel and lenght of the Martin cheetah.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

New Compound Bow Search Empty New Compound Bow Search

Post  haleiwabow Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:41 pm

Howzit Babooze,

Thanks for the great information, I would have never guessed that the arrow would go through the hay bail. Fortunately I have all those things for a target.

The reason I was mentioning the PSE and Mission are they seem to be the only brand I can get my hands on and see how they feel. Are you normally at the Kapolie Archery range on Saturdays? I will need to take a rain check on that since tonight and tomorrow is hunter education course for us. Pretty excited to get that done.

Asking questions is a great way to learn from others experience.

Aloha,
Ken

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikestr Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:38 am

Hey Ken,

Another option to consider is the axle to axle length of your bow. I hunt in relatively bushy areas where hitting a tree branch with my bow limb could be devastating. If you know that you'll be in a tree stand, this may be a moot point. But, something to consider. I would recommend something in the neighborhood of 32"-36" in the bush; or somewhere in between. My bow's axle to axle is 29.5; a little short but works awesome for me. There are, however, a few draw backs to having a shorter axle to axle, one of them being accuracy for longer shots. There are some valid debate to this, but........

On another note, while your working on finding a bow, I would start scouting area's you'd like to hunt. Learn the mountains, trails, rivers, fauna, ect. Start looking for and identifying pig tracks and trails, paying attention to where the trails cross. The intent is to find a productive spot so when your ready- your ready. The benefits to this are twofold, you'll get the exercise and you'll master the area you hunt so when you hit your first pig and packing it out at night (especially), you'll know where your going.

Aloha, Ike Very Happy
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  haleiwabow Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:41 am

Howzit Ike,

We just got home from the Hunter Education Course, was pretty good, learned alot I did not know.

You make a good point about scouting first and seeing whats up. The hunter's course recomended that we be able to hike with a 50lb pack to simulate hiking out with a pig. We are going out to scout in the next few weeks with a friend and learn about the skills needed to be successful.

Also on your other post about the spots on the liver the hunter education course said that you just discard the liver and make sure you cook the meat well. I know that cooking meat to a internal temp of 165 is a safe bet.

Aloha,

Ken

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikestr Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:34 pm

Right on Ken, glad you learned a lot. Although some parts of the class can give you a mean whip lash, there is valuable information. As for cooking the meat, I have some reservations because I usually smoke the meat and my temps don't get up that high for a long period of time.

Cheers, Ike

[/quote]
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  haleiwabow Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:53 pm

Hi Ike,

Sorry for the late response. You must have a nice smoker setup to smoke a whole boar, I would like to hear more about it. One of the instructors said to freeze the meat after it is smoked to make sure all the parasites are dead. We got to taste some smoked Elk in the class it was great.

They also recomended stews and sausage, I was thinking if we cook the pork we can use a thermometer to make sure the meat is cooked and safe. I cook meat and poultry to between 165F and 185F to make sure it is cooked all the way through.

Aloha,
Ken

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Ikestr Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:14 am

Ken,

Sounds like you got some good intel. Now pack em up-move em out and hit the hills Smile

Cheers
Ikestr
Ikestr
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hihunter57 Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:56 pm

Hey Ken,

Everyone is very helpful. Hope you got your bow and began hunting. Don't rush it as the bows/equipment nowadays are not cheap. I have been bow hunting for over 30 years. I have seen bows come and go....speed kills....both game and your pocket book! Talk to you laters be safe and good luck! maybe see you at the range or in the field!

hihunter57
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  teentit4n Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:39 am

Men’s Health Magazine 1yr Subscription

$24.97 $7.99 Free Shipping After Coupon at DiscountMags.com posted about 15 hours ago

Use DiscountMags.com coupon code 3456 during checkout.

Signing up for a year of Men's Health Magazine at Amazon will cost you $24.94. Order it at DiscountMags using this online coupon to get a 1 Year subscription for $7.99 after coupon! Not interested in Men's Health? Use our exclusive coupon DEALCATCHER to save 15% off any other magazine subscription.
More Magazine Coupons & Deals:

* Weight Watchers Magazine 1yr Subscription - $3.99/year After Coupon 9021
* Rolling Stones Magazine 1yr Subscription - $4.49/year After Coupon 8047
soap
Sacramento Airport

teentit4n
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content