Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Members First Post

5 posters

Go down

New Members First Post Empty New Members First Post

Post  J4R Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:32 am

All of you guys are awesome! The information and sharing is great! I am mid 40’s and have lived on Oahu since 1983, pig hunted once back in the early 90’s-no luck-never went back! But over the years I have always wanted to give it another try and after reading this forum never knew how educational, challenging and fun hunting pig could really be. When I get back home from serving in Afghanistan I would very much like to join the ranks of you guys. I am from the Makakilo area and hope to meet up with some guys that I can tag along with to learn.

J4R

J4R
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

New Members First Post Empty Re: New Members First Post

Post  Rockpit tx Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:45 pm

Welcome, and Thank You for your Service.
Rockpit tx
Rockpit tx
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  haleiwabow Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:05 pm

Best wishes on your deployment and thank you for your service. I am also a new member and the guys here are really helpful, I would be proud to go hunting with you when you return.

I have not gone out yet but perhaps I will have some experience when you return.

Aloha,
Ken

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  J4R Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:19 am

Much thanks guys!

Haleiwabow, I read your posts and understand your eagerness to hunt; at least you are that much closer to your hunting goal. I still have to sign-up for the Hunter Education Class, register for a firearms permit and chose my firearm when I get back. I would love to take you up on your offer once I get my hunting affairs in order upon my return. Willing to go with anyone on just about any type hunt! I am interested in rifle hunting and have not fully decided on the caliber and type of rifle, it will be either a bolt or lever action which leads me to my next post-

Again thanks

J4R
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:19 pm

Welcome to the board. ..........and watch your okole over there, can't thank you guys enough!
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:29 pm

Welcome to the board J4R and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!! Be safe over there my man and watch your 6.

Get both types of rifles if you can they both have thier purpose lever with the dogs and bolt when you need a little more reach. Theres a load of good calibers out there so it depends on things like ammo availability (if you dont reload), cost of ammo, etc etc.

Take it easy,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  haleiwabow Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:59 pm

Hi J4R,

You can sign up from anywhere as long as you know when you are going to rotate out of country, that way you will not have to wait for months after you return.

At Sports Authority a few months ago we were chatting with couple young guys from Schofield, one mentioned that for the long rifle all he needed was his military ID for purchase? Might want to look into that. The long gun registration is pretty straight forward otherwise.

Not sure what your budget is but I have always loved the M-16 but never had the extra cash for the civilian version AR-15. They now come in many different calibers and would be familiar to your muscle memory. I carried the M-16 A1 when I was overseas, we switched out from the M-14 just before deploying the M-14 was not as accurate and heavy in my opinion.

Years ago I purchase a little Mini-14 .223, 12 gauge Semi auto and a Model 23 Glock. Not sure how effective they are for hunting since the .223 has a muzzle energy 1283 just enough for the 1200 required under law. Mini-14 seemed to be accurate with open sight at 100 yards. I've never tried a scope.

In either case you have something fun to look forward to when you return.

Aloha,
Ken

Last edited by haleiwabow on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

haleiwabow
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  J4R Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:41 am

Good point-I remember seeing somewhere that I could sign up on line for the Hunters class, I will check into that a few months before I return.

The M-16 A1 is good accurate rifle in my opinion; however the M-4 is widely in use here which is a lighter weapon and with less recoil than the M16-A1.

Thank you all for welcoming me aboard!

J4R
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum