Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Garmin tracking system

+7
Kauai Boy
HYPA
CB
**BRADDAH TOMZ**
cmnalo
YOUNG DOG
huntachad
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Garmin tracking system Empty Garmin tracking system

Post  huntachad Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:42 am

Anybody out there using the garmin tracking system with the improved DC-30 collars? Any pros or cons? I use a handheld garmin GPS for when I go freediving and I refuse to leave home without it. Is it just as good for tracking the dogs? Looking at getting a tracking system in the next couple of months. Thanks

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Garmin tracking system Empty garmin

Post  YOUNG DOG Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:33 pm

I USE THE GARMIN NOW NOT WITH DC30S YET BUT I WILL BUT THE GARMIN WORK GOOD FOR ME AFTER USING IT FOR AWHILE I CAN TELL WHEN MY DOGS STAY CHASING SUMTING .THE NEW COLLARS LOOK MORE DURABLE I HAD ONE BREAK CUZ THE BOAR HIT THE COLLAR AND CRACKED IT.....

YOUNG DOG
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Garmin tracking system Empty Re: Garmin tracking system

Post  huntachad Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:56 am

Right on! How does it track thru the brush? Still catch? Let me know when you start using the new collars.

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Garmin tracking system Empty GARMIN

Post  YOUNG DOG Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:09 am

THE THING CATCH GOOD THRU THE BUSH ONLY THING IS SOMETIMES IF THE DOG GO INTO ANOTHER VALLEY THE TING LOSE RECEPTION BUT AFTER USING SO MUCH U KINDA KNOW WHEN THE DOG WENT OVER CUZ IT TELLS THE YARDAGE....

YOUNG DOG
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Garmin tracking system Empty Garnin DC30 work great

Post  cmnalo Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:17 am

The new Garmin units Dc30 work great. High sensitivity recievers get signal in some of the deepest gulches. I just ordered a an extension antenna and a topographic card for the reciever (shows all the same info as a USGS topographic map). I would highly recommend these units. The people at lioncountrysupply.com were really knowledgeable and got me all set up.

cmnalo
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:31 am

Are you using the map screen that shows the route the dogs took or the compass screen that uses just arrows to show what direction your dog is to track your dogs?

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Garmin tracking system Empty garmin

Post  YOUNG DOG Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:53 am

i use the topo map to c where they are if they are far away.....when the dogs are out i look at the yardage cuz if u c that that the yardage is jumping real fast and the arrow is moving fast in my situations the dogs were on a pig.........the last pig i caught i noticed the yardage staying sort of in the same area then it started to drop fast coming right down to me and sure enough a pig came right to me and the dogs were right behind........it works good when you get accustomed to it.......

YOUNG DOG
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:49 am

Question... I know that on the map screen it will show the exact course that the dogs went on. It will update every 5 or so seconds. If the handheld unit is off and then you turn it on after a while cuz the dogs are gone, will the unit still show what course the dogs took or will it only track while the unit is on?

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  **BRADDAH TOMZ** Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:37 am

I had da garmin for some time now i think da bugga has more problems then my truck.thats why i put 2 collars on my garmin and my tracker maxima.just in case 1 goes out get da other 1 and usually da garmin goes out once you lose reception good luck getting um back.and that bugga tree quarry 1 to many times but on da flip side when da garmin works it can be your best friend.but if you guys going buy um get um from chad at haynhogdogs.com.support your local huntaz and he can help you in what ever hopg dog supplies you need...........HUNT HARD AND HUNT SAFE
**BRADDAH TOMZ**
**BRADDAH TOMZ**
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:24 pm

Tako2e, thanks for the input my bruddah. And yeah, whatever I need I do get from bruddah Chad. Thanks again.

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CB Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:20 pm

JUST GOT ONE. THE ASTRO 220 IS PRETTY MEAN.BEEN HUNTING UNDER TRIPLE CANOPY PLACES AND IT CATCHES GOOD.THE ONLY THING IS ONE OF MY COLLARS(DC30) BROKE FROM ONE BIG BOAR LAUNCHING MY DOG HAD TO SEND UM IN LUCKILY HAD WARRANY STILL.OTHER THAN THAT ITS BEEN WORKING REALLY WELL FOR ME.

CB
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Garmin tracking system Empty Garmin tracking unit

Post  huntachad Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:17 am

Right on Cb. I've been slowing down on the dog hunting and getting back into the bow and arrow hunting seen. Been catching more pigs with the arrow than with the dogs. But I will be getting one of those units soon especially when I start running my puppies. Thanks, keep me posted if you get any problems.

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:08 am

did some research on those units after having tried em this past week and found the only thing that I might have a problem with is the battery life, looks like the collars only last 17-18 hours and the charge on the reciever is 12 so if you do long hunts then that might be the only draw back.

But like I said b4 i was switching as soon as the funds come through, but i might run telemetry and gps on the dogs just as a back up
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:10 pm

Hey Hypa,
I totally agree. It sucks esecially if you loose your dog and have to go back the next day. Battery probally be dead by then. But I do freedive frequently and having that garmin gps system is like having your own personal pot of gold. That's why I am interested in the system. I had the opportunity to hunt with people with the system and found it very useful. Let me know how it works for you if you get it before I do. Alohaz - Chad

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai Boy Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:10 am

I have been using the Garmin Astro for my dogs for a year now and it works perfect for me. Like i tell everybody, if your dogs go really far and they sometimes don't come back till the next day, then the Garmin Astro is not for you. The battery life on the collars is only for about 18 hours and i know that for a fact. I've used it hunting from 6:30am to 12midnight and the collar battery was almost dead, i had the collars on the 5sec update. If you set it on a slower update rate you'll get more battery life but slower tracking updates. You can change the recievers battery with out loosing any info while the dogs stay out but it won't pick up the dogs tracks while it is off, it'll just resume tracking the dogs when you turn the reciever back on. I think the Energizer lithium AA batteries works best unless someone else knows of any better and longer lasting batteries. I'ved used it in very, very thick areas, also in thick fog and rainy days and the thing tracks good. The portable long range antenna is one good addition, it is perfect for long range tracking and can track really far even in the thick no matter if you or your dog is on a ridge or in the valley. http://www.nulime.com/Garmin-Astro-Portable-Long-Range-Antenna/p294270 The most so far in the valley tracking one dog with the portable long range antenna was .8 mile, with both dog and reciever in the valley and in the thick.
Kauai Boy
Kauai Boy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:09 pm

Kauai Boy,
Thanks for the input. I have pretty much made up my mind on getting the system because of all the replies from everyone. I just need to get past this holiday season then I can invest in the sytem. Thanks to everyone for their input and Happy Holidays to All...

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Garmin tracking system Empty garmin astro

Post  jushunt Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:46 am

howz the garmin astro going for everyone kinda thinking of gettin it?? but dont know about battery life kinda short
jushunt
jushunt
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  ballz 2 da wallz Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:40 am

jus hunt, to tell you the truth it is the best investment I ever made. The battery suppossed to last about 17 hrs. so if you hunting longer than that then its not that good, but like me if the dog dont come back when I ready to go home I give a couple calls then I watch the screen to see if the dog coming back if not, I go look for him. The thing is so accurate it'll walk you right up to your dog. I never left one dog in the mountain ever since I bought the garmin just because I know that if the dog dont come back I lose my collar and my dog. soon as the batteries die only going give you the last spot it was when your collar died.

Aloha and good luck.
BRYSON
ballz 2 da wallz
ballz 2 da wallz
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:15 pm

Bryson,
Which screen is the best for you? The compass or the topo map? And how much collars you get tracking at one time. The reason why I ask is because I just ordered a four dog combo from Cabana and I am doing all the research I can right now before I get the system in. Kinda anxious for it to come in. Chad

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai Boy Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:58 pm

The topo map
Kauai Boy
Kauai Boy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  moosehead Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:52 am

JUST COURIOUS HOW MUCH DID THE FOUR DOG SYSTEM SET YOU BACK??ALOHAZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
moosehead
moosehead
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane M. Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:57 am

^me too. And if you ordered online, what site?

Shane M.
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:03 am

Gundogsupply.com selling their four dog system for $1,199.96. Not sure if that is including shipping and handling. Also not sure if it includes the topo map for Hawaii. Most web sites I went on was selling the unit and 1 tracking collar for $600 while every additional collar will cost you $200. That particular web site is selling up to a ten dog package deal. But I found it cheapest going with Chad Cabana at haynhogdogs.com. I don't know what the total damage is yet, but it is somewhere around $1200 that is including the topo map for Hawaii. I know you can save on the topo map if you know someone else with the system that can download it for you. Alohaz -Chad

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ballz 2 da wallz Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:20 am

hunta chad ,I stay running one four dog combo from chad cabana. I use both screens through out the hunt but the most effective for me when tracking down my dog is probably the map cause it shows you where your dog is. just make sure before every hunt you calibrate your compass, its fast and easy to calibrate you just go to menu and click on calibrate compass and read the screen hold it flat in your hand and turn till it tells you to stop. The reason I say that is because I have had my compass screwed up before and it tells you that your dog is for instance on your right when actually its on your left. I found out was because where it was telling me my dogs was, there would be no reason for them being there, so I immediatly went to calibrate compass and then everything was good and it took me right to where the dogs were. Other than that, its to me the best tracking system for your money. ALOHA BRADDAH,
BRYSON
ballz 2 da wallz
ballz 2 da wallz
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:19 pm

Much mahalos bruddah Bryson!! Thanks for the advice. Everything that I've been reading about and getting advice on has been nothing but positive things. Can't wait to get it!! The places that I go hunt get choke traffic during the day and the pigs seem nowhere to be found. But I know they are there because get signs all over the place. Soon as I get this system wired, the pigs going get it because I coming at night when they seem to be the most active.

Thanks again,
Chad

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next