Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video Equipment and Software

4 posters

Go down

Video Equipment and Software Empty Video Equipment and Software

Post  Vidinha Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:43 pm

I've been wanting to make a DVD for a long time now, my wife and I have been messing around with editing short hunting clips (the truth is that my wife has been doing most of the work on it because on the computer I'm about as productive as tits on a boar hog). I wanted to know if anyone else on this forum has been doing the same and what kind of equipment and software you use. I use 3 different cameras, a Sony Digital 8 Steadyshot DCR-TRV140, a Microtek Take-It MV300, and a Canon Power Shot SD400 and the software we use are Windows Movie Maker & Roxio Easy Media Creator 9. I've been doing mainly dog & knife footage but want to start doing some bow & arrow soon, I do have some archery footage of some pigs my buddy Arrik shot but none of myself, I just need someone to video for me as for I do a lot of spot and stalk on pigs but, I can't hold a camera and shoot my recurve at the same time. I have a few videos on my photosite www.cory-vidinha.magix.net. I'm going to try to upload a few more. So, if you could go check it out and let me know what you think and give me any kind of software suggestions, editing tips and tricks or anything you think that would help me out in making my videos better and making a good DVD. I also have a video on YouTube, if you search "Late Hunt Sow" you will find the 2 I have on there.

Mahalo,
Cory
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.cory-vidinha.magix.net

Back to top Go down

Video Equipment and Software Empty Re: Video Equipment and Software

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:58 pm

couple things to get you started.

Have a dedicated camera guy!!!

1. I still don't always follow this rule but I try. That persons ONLY job it to get the hunt on film. That person must be dedicated and constantly reminded themselves "I'm here to film". HOLD THE CAMERA STEADY!!!!! nothing worst than shakey film

Get eye level with your subject!
  1. this is not a factor when your filming someone standing up. But when the hog is on the ground with the dogs try and squat down or hold the camera lower and get level with the dogs. get in close.

talk into the camera.
  1. audio is very important. make sure who ever is talking is facing the camera (or use a wireless mic). Don't cuss!!!!! even if you beep it out, everyone still knows what was said and it makes you as the films producer look bad!

Film Everything!!!!
  1. it's easy to edit things out, but you can't add thing you didn't film. tell the story as you go. who,what, where, why and how. set up the story "here we are at my favorite spot we've seen alot of diggings etc."

I'll post somemore later!!!!
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:29 pm

Right on, Thats some good stuff Eric, Mahalo, Keep em com'n.
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:15 pm

Eric, What do think about the programs we use? I know we spoke about it before but after seeing my video's what do you thing?
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:46 pm

depends on what you want to do. for basic editing it's fine. I would use it until you grow out of it. you'll get to the point where you'll want to do somethings that widows movie maker can't do. Then it's time to switch. I started on a real similar program and the first year "hawaii Sportsman TV" was all done on a very basic editing program. I think movie maker is more advanced than what I started on.

Tips on editing:
do your homework. This a must for the editor AND the cameraman. the cameraman must be involved with the editing so they understand what the editor wants and how it would have/could have been better. watch all the hunting/fishing shows you can. look at them from an editing view point. use what you like from the shows. It will also give you ideas of what you don't like.

I have a link to a good web site that has alot of HOW TOs. I'll post it when I get home.

Eric
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:25 pm

a few more tips.

1.opener - who you are, what, where etc

2. entire animal segment (get the animal as it walks in) get some decent footage of animal before the shot (if time allows)

3. the shot. not too zoomed in but not too far back. follow and zoom out as the animal runs away. then immediately swing to the hunter and get the reaction. keep the hunter in the frame as long as he's talking. turn the camera off only before you get down out of the stand or moving.

4. hero shot. track the animal (use a light if it's dark) hold camera steady let the hunter find the blood, the camera man films the hunter. get the hunter finding the animal. get the hunter showing the animal (get down level with the hunter. don't stand up when he's kneeling) talk about unique things about animal then get some close ups of it (teeth, horns, antlers scars entry wounds exit wounds etc.
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:26 am

hey cory sony makes a great video editing program.....problem is sometimes windows vista gets in the way!!

best if you use a mac

and yes you are as good as titts on a boar when it comes to computer work buddiiiiieeeeeeee..lol Very Happy
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:59 am

I use adobe premier and it is pretty awesome.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:50 am

here is a link to editing software that I heard is really good. alot of bang for your buck!

http://www.magix.com/us/movie-edit-pro/classic/

here is a really good tutoral on how to film your hunts.
http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/features/articles/videotapeyourhunt/videoschool.cfm

editing is the hard part. Not the software part but what to edit out and what to keep in. remember if it doesn't add anthing to the story your trying to tell then leave it out!
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:23 am

Right on Eric, Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me and everyone else on this site. Not every day a master shares the wealth. Mahalo'zzzzzz

Timmy, I'll go check out that program, Thanks. The more basic programs we got is pretty good but don't got all the bells n whistles I want, Then the more costy one we got freezes up our computer once in a while, brutha just can't catch a break,lol. As Hypa said, I don't know shit about computers, I still get problems attaching pics to e-mails,lol.

HYPA, SHHHHUT YO MOUT,lol. Too bad you had to work tonight, I had a long very wet day in the mountains so I was pretty thirsty when I got out, But that's ok, the meat is in the bag, The beers is all mine, and we can hook up later.

Mahalo fellaz,
Cory
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down