Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big Island hybrid ram

3 posters

Go down

Big Island hybrid ram Empty Big Island hybrid ram

Post  Turkey Joe Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:09 pm

Hi guys,
Here's a pic of my first (hopefully not last) Big Island ram. He's a nice Mouflon X Feral hybrid with big bases and good mass. I know this is an archery forum, but....

I went hunting with my good friend Jon Sabati, who guides on the Kealia ranch. Since this was my first sheep hunt, I opted to take my .270. We drove for quite a while, and scouted .25mi below the Volcano Nat. Park boundary. We glassed and called for a little while, and heard some sheep feeding downhill, but to the our north. We angled uphill, trying to get in front of them to get a look at the flock and keep the wind in our favor.

We saw a small group; three ewes, one lamb and a young C curl ram. They fed off to our right, headed south. We heard other sheep to the north a bit. Jon told me there was a big ram in the bunch sounding off. We got a quick look through the trees at them, and saw what looked like a nice ram in the group. We moved kinda fast to get directly down hill of them and waited. We set up, and only had to wait a little until they came into sight. A small group of four ewes came into & out of sight as they worked their way directly towards us.

We were just behind the crest of a small rise, and one ewes came 10-12 yds from us. If she kept coming, she'd have busted us for sure. As we waited to get a better look and maybe a shot at the ram we heard, it happened.

A ram popped into view, 25yards from our left. He had his head behind a tree, blocking a full view of his horns. We could only see the back of his left horn. He picked up his head and turned a little. That's when I thought "That's not the same ram we saw earlier." When he turned a little towards us, we saw some white marking on his muzzle. Jon whispered "Joe, shoot that one! Shoot!"

I put the crosshairs on the back of his shoulder, just above the elbow, breathed out and squeezed. He reared up, spun and dropped into a pocket out of sight. I thought I might've missed on account of not seeing any sign of the hit apart from the ram's movement. Jon was filming, and we quickly reviewed the shot. Good. A little low, but good.

We walked maybe 15 yards and saw him. He was standing under a tree in the bottom of the pocket we saw him drop into. Not wanting him to run off, I put another round into his shoulder. He was pointed left, and hit the ground pointed right. Even though I hit him twice; not too much meat was ruined. We took video and some pix afterwards.

It was a hunt to remember, and to be able to share the experience with a good friend made it even better. (The picture is from my camera phone. I forgot my digital camera in truck)[img][/img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f34/11/89/37/84/big_is10.jpg[/url]Big Island hybrid ram Big_is10
Turkey Joe
Turkey Joe
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Big Island hybrid ram Empty Re: Big Island hybrid ram

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:47 pm

That is so awesome I can't wait to see the video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  s_wright121 Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:21 am

NICE HYBRID JOE
BOW GUN IT DOESNT MATTER AS LONG AS ITS PUTING FOOD ON THE TABLE.
NICE RAM

ALOHA STEVE

s_wright121
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down