Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the training worth?

+7
hawgandawg
Kauai Boy
Daniel_Peterson
Koa Boa
UPCOUNTRYHUNTING
ShannonChun
CAVE CANEM
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is the training worth? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the training worth?

Post  Hawaiian420 Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:19 am

Haha must have been one looooonnnnngggggg journey!! But main thing your pack is all good!! cheers
Hawaiian420
Hawaiian420
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:42 am

My pride is hurt at the moment but through experience you gain growth. It's a matter of keeping it positive. I'm ready to go again! I caved in and picked up some Innotek tracking gear I got a pretty good deal on. My girlfriend actually didn't give me no sympathy but I guess that is what happens when you ask her to hold you to a high standard! She did tell me I am expecting to much out of the pups since the oldest still is 11 months old but I just don't get how good they been doing and today they just "gave me the finger" Laughing I've been told the Innotek has it's flaws but as long as I can get an idea which direction the dogs is in I will be better off then I was today. Yes, Thank you my dogs are all home!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai Boy Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:17 am

Why not get the Garmin? It's perfect for short range dogs.
Kauai Boy
Kauai Boy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:24 am

I've tried to save up the $ to pick one up but bills and the family have eaten that up a few times. I am hoping to grab one if I can get this business set up and claim it as a business expense! Let me know if this is a no go! I would love to watch my dogs run but don't want to get to the point I rely on it. If I handle someone elses dog I plan to use both systems.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:41 am

Well what it sounds like 2 me is your dogs could b confused i mean if you want the dog 2 catch the pig you got 2 just let him do his thing i mean if you were in a boxing match and you about 2 take out the other person what you going do back off and let um catch his breath or u going finish um cuz thats the way i see it because the way you sead it is like your dogs was holding um and then you told um 2 jump back and bark um but anyway just my 2cents aloha
idk if thats what you were talking about or were u mad cuz you lost your dogs scratch scratch
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:43 am

Shannon- My dogs cover ground FAST! So if I let them do their own thing for 30 minutes they could be couple forests over and if they catch a pig there and I can't hear a bark or squeel they will kill it and leave it and that is counter what I am trying to do. The thing I like the best about being able to talk to the dog is when you get there you can choreograph the action to an extent. How fast can the dog take the command and execute? Let me know when you find out , I just found out it's not faster then a pig will rush! Laughing The thing that bothered me the most about today was I know they heard me calling but chose to do their own thing. Do you get mad and kick sh*t? Some do! Me, I will roll up in my blanket with my childs shin, feet, knees or elbows in places I don't like it and thank god for another Beautiful hawaiian day! Y mad??

But tomorrow I will back out in my yard!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:21 pm

O so thats what u were talking about tought u was talking about the pig getting away but yea me my self well put a lot of time into a dog but once a dog knows how 2 go far meaning like the 500-600yard range far 2 me theres no brakeing that habbit espcially if the dog goes far at a young age and i dont keep thoes kind of style dogs, all my dogs you well see them in eye view and when they go thats somthing garrentee and when they jump um they jump um one time but that just my style everyone got different styles plus i dont really know how it is up in BI but good luck on the training hoping 2 see that vid on your pups ALOHA
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:04 pm

I am hoping yesterday they just ended up chasing something down and the oldest pup just stayed with the pig the longest and I wouldn't want to take any bottom off a dog! The dogs are still figuring out how and where to hit the pig to make him hit the brakes and this can only come with time and experience. When I first sat down and created a program to train the dogs, I worked 2 of my dogs with some hound excercises along with techniques used by the police and military for S&R into their training and have seen them wind a pig from over a mile away! They stay by my side until their nose picks something up and then they figure it out from there if they want to go. I have also told them to take a scent after seeing the male stop in the trail and by his expression I knew it was a little farther then we usually go so I believe they know where the pigs are and they know how far I expect them to go but as far as training I am pleased with the results but I do not think this magnitude of training is required for a pig dog and so I trained the 2 younger dogs to only wind 2 -3 acre lots. I also trained all of the dogs to trail on the ground and by using the certain technique got them trailing fairly quickly out to 100 yards but I stopped at that point because I noticed at the 100 yard mark they had the hang of tracking on the ground good enough to push however much further they want to. I can tell you they all go out to distances that it takes some sweat, Slipping down gulches and dodging limbs to get to and I don't mind unless I can't hear. Laughing

Shannon- Yesterday you mentioned my dogs may be confused as to what I want from them, ^^ This is where I have noticed the dogs need to figure out themselves what they will do with my training. I know of a technique to control the distance the dog gets from you but don't want to post it in public. I will PM it to you if you want to know it! Your style of once the dogs find it they just "jump it" sounds pretty similar to alot of other guys style! I may have created a monster with these dogs but I am still learning along with them and will work with them unitl they can't make the bell.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:46 am

Yea pm me
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:24 am

Jusacruzah wrote: My dogs and mother nature had to bring me back to reality.

They both have a habit of doing that from time to time Very Happy Keep Press'n!!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:54 am

Jusacruzah wrote: The thing I like the best about being able to talk to the dog is when you get there you can choreograph the action to an extent.

Yes, this is a very desirable trait to have in your hunting dogs and if attained is very,very beneficial to both hunter and dog alike. I think there coulda been an oppurtunity for confusion there for your PUPS. I wasnt there so I cannot say for sure just goin off what I read and I definitely dont think its a bad thing at all. When you called them off so to speak I take it thats just what they did? Back up and Bark? Now when the pig charges/rushes out it creates a fight or flight situation my take is that the PUPS (Im capping the PUPS to emphasize that thats exactly what they are and still in the LEARNING STAGE..correct me if im wrong) jumped/moved out of the way as they would normally do. But heres where the water gets muddy for me so bear with me here. IM JUST ASSUMING thats what happened BEFORE you commanded them to grab...If thats the case then it may depend on how close they are to the pig as well as position/obstacles etc between them and pig as well as how close you were to the action too. As we all know when pigs are backed up and are being barked at/harassed by dogs they will usually MOCK CHARGE and then back up again. But being close enough to the action where the pig felt threatened by your presence that caused him to rush past the dogs and at you factors in as well. In short what im trying to say is that they were commanded into fight mode when they were already in flight mode...if that makes sense??? But because you were so close to the action/pig it was almost instantaneous that the pig was on you. Meaning that they were in the process of avoiding his charge (getting out of his way) then commanded to grab, but by the time they could execute the command it was over (meaning he was already at or past you) Again this is just my ASSUMPTION given the info at hand and in no way demonstrates or even tries to demonstarte what ACTUALLY took place that day.

But yes there is ways to train so that if the pig actually passes a certain distance or predetermined space that the dog will grab IMMEDIATELY without command and im sure you know that and have ways to train for that. As always best wishes and goodluck!

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hog428 Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:52 pm

ho Hawaiian
OUCH !!If Im reading this right the dogs had him stooped you gave the command to bay and then went for your cam In my days with the cam I have it out before I get to the grab just my thinking of my own dogs they will break on command and are looking to me for a command if Im digging in my pack for my cam some will look at me like WTF and things have gone very wrong very fast when I show up it's game on until the game is over in my thinking when you deside to train this close you are a link in the chain this has happened to me more than once AND I kicked my own ASS all the way home Just my experience keep this thing going I love following it every day

LATTER GONE HUNTING

hog428
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:52 pm

Muns- 2 bad you weren't there! We probably would have gotten the picture of me jumping up imginary trees and doing some ballet! Laughing I have sat here and gone over the whole day repeatedly and I need to get back in the bush and get the last hunt out of my mind. All 3 pups have tracked and held there own pigs but that was their first pig with just them and no older dog. I think they need more work on stopping the pigs whether it be on the jump or if the pig breaks, Stop his a$$ FAST! I'm going again with a friend who wants to see couple of my older dogs tonight so hopefully it goes good and then I can get the pups in again for another try.

Ray- This hunt I actually got my girl to lend me the "good "camera so I could post something that was actually watchable. I usually carry my camera in my pocket but today the camera was in zip loc bags in my pack cause I didn't want to break it on it's second hunt out! Laughing We'll get another chance! I hope! As long someone is interested in my work I will still share it!

Muns again! Haha! I forgot to answer couple of your questions. The Running Bull will set up at about 4-8 feet out and just go ballistic barking. The Catahoula/Whippet is usually ass to Ha'enas' nose and will get in there and try to break the pig down on her own. When I got to the tree I was on the mauka side of the action with the pig facing off with the dogs. Like this!

-----------------------------------------===============Tree
------------------------------------------------------Pig

--------------------------------------------------------C/W

------------------------------------------------------R.B.

-------------------------------------------------------------------Me
I've got a whole bunch of ideas on what went wrong but am hoping with more experience they will get better.

Last edited by Jusacruzah on Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:49 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Had to post my cutstom illustrations!)
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Podagee Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:13 am

Sup Jusacruzah,
I think this is a great idea! cheers cheers I found a website that might give u some ideas on pricing and maybe some deals or w.e http://www.ushogoutfitters.com/hog-dog-training.htm If possible being able to train the dogs to stay away form cattle and other live stock we have on island would be an incredible service to offer as well. Just throwing it out there cuz i know not every hunter has access to cattle etc. so training them to stay away can be difficult. Also i have no clue on this and i hope it never happens, but what would happen if the dog were to die while u are training it. I dont know what u could do about that? Giving them another dog? or some kind of refund. Just spitting out ideas that popped into mind. Im sure u will figure it out, and ull recieve much support from the hunting community here im sure! Great idea again!!! Goodluck! cheers cheers

Podagee
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:38 am

Howzit Podagee! Joe (ushogoutfitters) is a great guy and has some great properties to run, His Dogos are beautiful and look at his pens! Top grade all the way around! I am currently looking into insurance which would help me be able to give the customer a piece of mind should I run the dogs in full speed hunts and the inevitable happen, I've run into a couple snags setting this all up but am still trying to get it up and running. Thank you for the support!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:59 pm

Jusacruzah wrote:Muns- 2 bad you weren't there! We probably would have gotten the picture of me jumping up imginary trees and doing some ballet! Laughing I have sat here and gone over the whole day repeatedly and I need to get back in the bush and get the last hunt out of my mind. All 3 pups have tracked and held there own pigs but that was their first pig with just them and no older dog. I think they need more work on stopping the pigs whether it be on the jump or if the pig breaks, Stop his a$$ FAST! I'm going again with a friend who wants to see couple of my older dogs tonight so hopefully it goes good and then I can get the pups in again for another try.

Ray- This hunt I actually got my girl to lend me the "good "camera so I could post something that was actually watchable. I usually carry my camera in my pocket but today the camera was in zip loc bags in my pack cause I didn't want to break it on it's second hunt out! Laughing We'll get another chance! I hope! As long someone is interested in my work I will still share it!

Muns again! Haha! I forgot to answer couple of your questions. The Running Bull will set up at about 4-8 feet out and just go ballistic barking. The Catahoula/Whippet is usually ass to Ha'enas' nose and will get in there and try to break the pig down on her own. When I got to the tree I was on the mauka side of the action with the pig facing off with the dogs. Like this!

-----------------------------------------===============Tree
------------------------------------------------------Pig

--------------------------------------------------------C/W

------------------------------------------------------R.B.

-------------------------------------------------------------------Me
I've got a whole bunch of ideas on what went wrong but am hoping with more experience they will get better.

Bradda Isaac wish I was dea woulda been good fun all around im sure and ive done some ballet as well over da years LOL! Thanks for da illustration simple yet effective Smile Mahalo....Bradda Muns I'll send you a PM
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum