Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to Hunting.

3 posters

Go down

New to Hunting. Empty New to Hunting.

Post  Noah Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:06 am

Howzit everybody i am new to the sport of hunting and is wondering if there is any advice anybody has to offer, i am a big fan of bow-hunting and would like to get in to it. im not really sure on what type of bow i should get or even where to go hunt? i am also trying to get my hunting license right now, and was wondering if anybody has extra time, they could show me how its done or just give me any advice. Thanks alot- greatly appreciate it.

Noah
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

New to Hunting. Empty Re: New to Hunting.

Post  Misadventure Gear Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:38 pm

Aloha Noah,

the most important consideration in buying a bow is to get one that fits you in draw length and draw weight. Trying to draw a bow with too heavy a draw weight can lead to shoulder injuries. To measure your draw length, you can take a yardstick, place one end in the center of your chest and put your hands out in front of you, palm to palm. Where your fingertips are on the yardstick will give you a good starting point for finding your draw length. If you are on Oahu, go check out the Island Archer by the airport. They can help you measure your draw length, and help you get set up with a bow. If you are on Maui, give me a call, and I'll help.

As for the type of bow, you can choose between a compound bow or a traditional bow. A compound has wheels on it that, as you reach a certain point in the draw cycle, decreases your holding weight, usually by 65~80%. This means that, if say you were using a bow with 50lb draw and 80% let-off , at full draw, you would only be holding around 15lbs. When hunting, this would help you hold at full draw longer while trying to get that right shot angle. With a traditional bow (think Robin Hood) there are no wheels on the bow limbs and no let-off. Some people like this set-up as it is simpler.

You also must make sure that your arrows are matched to your bow to make sure they shoot accurately. It's called "spine" and there are charts to help you select the right arrow.

Once you have your bow and arrows, practice, practice, and practice to be accurate enough to ensure a swift, humane kill. An arrow kills by causing bleeding, not shock like a rifle, so you have to hit the heart/lungs which on most animals is a 6 to 8 inch target. There are tons more stuff to talk about, so feel free to contact me when you have questions. Don't forget to look into reading books and magazines, and joining an archery club to help get you going in the right direction.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:19 am

Hi Noah,
I am a newbie to archery too. have been at it a few years now but still suck.
Here is a channel onyoutube that has some cool videos about bows, arrows and stuff like that

https://www.youtube.com/profile?user=3RiversArchery&view=videos
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum