Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

formula for grain.

+3
UpFront
Babooze
Lyle B
7 posters

Go down

formula for grain. Empty formula for grain.

Post  Lyle B Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:35 am

Happy New Years to all the Hunters!

Anyone know the formula for using 100 grain or 125 grain. I've been shooting 100 grain field tips and use 100 grain broadheads as well, works great not broken. But curious to use 125 grains. Is their a significant difference between the two when hunting. Shooting compound with 50lb draw.

Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

formula for grain. Empty Re: formula for grain.

Post  Babooze Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:52 am

@ 50lbs I would stay with 100grn tips myself. I don't think that the 125grn would give that much more penetration, but it definitely wouldn't hurt either.

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:34 pm

With that kind of poundage I would stay lighter, maybe even 85 gr. arrow length matters too. If you are shooting over 28 inch arrows go 85gr, under 28 inch go with the 100s.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:53 pm

A good article on tuning your bow and calcualting FOC and what broadfhead to use can be found here....

http://www.bowhunter.com/feature_articles/BTG.pdf

Generally speaking, you want to use a broadhead that will move the balance point 10~12% forward from the center of the bow.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:32 am

Hey Maui,
\that article rocks. I just moved my foc to 15 percent cause those darn arrows won:t fly straight. \gotta do that paper test. You guys have any suggestions for a easy way to make a frame for the paper.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

formula for grain. Empty Paper frame

Post  Ambusher Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:01 pm

Here's an easy one I saw in Bowhunting World. 2 arrows, a block of wood, 4 clothespins, drill 2 holes with a snug fit, DONE formula for grain. Img_0213
Ambusher
Ambusher
Piglet
Piglet

http://bowhuntinghawaii.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:20 pm

here is an article on broadhead tuning I did this and it really helped.
shoot three arrows with field tips then 3 with broadheads. (aim at the center bullseye)
if they aren't hitting in the same spot follow the directions in the bottom of the article to adjust your rest or your nock point.
shooting again and adjust as needed. keep doing so until they hit the same. as you move you rest or nock point your point of impact will change. meaning your sight will become off. thats OK! shoot and adjust until they hit in the same spot. THEN djust your sight
http://www.parsonsoutdoors.com/broadhead_tuning.html

formula for grain. Sports_33
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

formula for grain. Empty Veins 4 inch or 2 inch?

Post  Lyle B Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:22 pm

Mahalo's to all feedback, Maui solid article, I just went back to the range and shoot with my 100 grain on the money. But what about using 4 inch veins vs the 2 inches. What would be the difference? Hey Eric or Turkey Joe, just move to Colorado and Turkey season is creeping up, what kind of broadheads you recommend for body shots, and what kind of caller should I get? Should I get a hen or rosster decoy? Speaking of new toys, santa dropped a pack of Muzzy MX3, Alright! Anybody know a good Coyote recipe?

Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:51 pm

I'm shooting 4" vanes with my 100gr. MX-3's. Just my opinion, but I figure that since I use fixed blades, I want bigger vanes to keep my arrows from planing. As for a paper tuning stand, you cna make a simple and cheap one using pvc pipe. If you don't glue it together, you can easily take it apart for storage. I've seen some good plans on the internet if you google something like "pvc paper tuning stand".

Eric, thanks for that article on broadhead tuning.....I was actually planning to do that soona after I saw a video on that on Bowhunter Magazine TV. I know that my broadheads are shooting 2 inches down and 2 inches left of my field points. I've been tearing up my 3D because I've only been practicing with blades.....sure would be nice to use field points.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:03 pm

MauiRhino wrote:
Eric, thanks for that article on broadhead tuning.....I was actually planning to do that soona after I saw a video on that on Bowhunter Magazine TV. I know that my broadheads are shooting 2 inches down and 2 inches left of my field points. I've been tearing up my 3D because I've only been practicing with blades.....sure would be nice to use field points.

broadhead tune your bow! it's really easy and then you can shoot field tips everyday. I then shoot once or twice with my broadheads just to make sure they're still on.
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum