Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BIG GAME HUNTAZ (CORY V. and crew)

+2
Vidinha
Lyle B
6 posters

Go down

BIG GAME HUNTAZ (CORY V. and crew) Empty BIG GAME HUNTAZ (CORY V. and crew)

Post  Lyle B Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:28 am

Alright guys, just ran into a guy at the archery range that does a lot of Elk hunts, like deja vu at Kapiolani Archery Range, told him I'm a rookie and the only game I shot was of the hog on the video. might be in October, my bow is only 50lb and only will shoot from within 20 yards. Dis going be the biggest game yet and a chance of a lifetime, wondering if I should get a 70 lb bow (plenty on clearance sale @ sportsman) or poundage doesn't matter and what really matters is placement shot, razorsharp broadheads and fly straight. What U guys think. Braddah Cory, maybe I can graduate for some Spot and Stalk Wild Cattle! All opinion are welcome good or bad!

Mahalo, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

BIG GAME HUNTAZ (CORY V. and crew) Empty Re: BIG GAME HUNTAZ (CORY V. and crew)

Post  Vidinha Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:44 am

Howzit Lyle. I don't know anything about elk but do know some about bows. My advice to you is: If you can pull a 70# bow and shoot atleast 6 arrows consecutively with no problems, Get it. If you can't don't. If you can pull it, shoot it, If you can't, don't. That stands for all game with me. Let me know when you com'n back home, I'll go set up a Big Island hunting and fishing trip.
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.cory-vidinha.magix.net

Back to top Go down

BIG GAME HUNTAZ (CORY V. and crew) Empty 70LB

Post  Lyle B Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:39 am

Right on Cory, thanks for the advice again, I going try pull that 70 lb. I think gotta eat more chicken adobo or kilawen kalding ( "ONO" filipino goat dish) to give me da mana, LOL! Anyways I'll let you know how it goes. You been hunting that red boar @ the Honey Hole? I'll let you know when I coming!

Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:28 am

Haven't been hunting too much but will here shortly, just gotta get back on track. Been shooting my Hoyt more often tho. Took a warning shot at a nice sau last week,lol, just showing them hogs what's in store for them if they're not careful.
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Babooze Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:50 am

Howzit Lyle, If you have trouble pulling 70 try back off the poundage to 60 and shoot that until you feel comfortable, than crank down a half turn every week till you bottom out the bolts. That way you give your self time build up your drawing muscles.

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

BIG GAME HUNTAZ (CORY V. and crew) Empty poundage

Post  Lyle B Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:52 pm

Make sense Babooze, build the muscle up. Know time to shop for one. U heard of the Diamond Brand? Thanks for the advice!

Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:38 pm

Check out the Razor Edge by Diamond, pretty sweet n good price. I think it goes up to 60#. Diamond is an off shoot of Bow Tech, pretty nice stuff.
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

BIG GAME HUNTAZ (CORY V. and crew) Empty Razor

Post  Lyle B Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:00 pm

Braddah Cory U da Man. Just went to Sportsman to checkout what U recommended the Razor and it is sweet.
Super light and comes complete package of rest, quiver, peep, sights, and going on sale for $329. It is min 30lb to 601b max, also talked to the salesperson who hunts Elk said 60lb is all you need for effective penetration on the hide and this bow would do the job, super fast! But said the broadheads need to be razor sharp. Anyways my dilemma is Stick or Compound! Gonna have to sleep on it. Finally got one job. Definitely couldn't draw back the 70 lb of the bat. But at least can work my way up from 50 to 60. The guy said in Colorado to draw the tag gotta be either bow or rifle not both. That sucks! Alright, thanks for the recommendation almost bought it!

Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:17 am

If your dilemma is deciding between stick or a contraption,lol, You know my pick. Aint noth'n like a good stick, preferably a recurve, preferably made by Black Widow. Check out www.buffsblackwidow.com . That guy is my hero. I think he'll help you decide.
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Instinct Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:51 am

Eh so im originally from Idaho where i hunt elk with my bow all the time. (not saying that i get one all the time Smile But to answer your ? NO u dont need a 70# bow! If you are comfortable shooting your bow u have now dont try and change it! Ive shot elk with my 45lb recurve and although i have to track them farther they still go down! Elk hunting is one of the greatest hunts u will ever do so enjoy it!
Instinct
Instinct
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

BIG GAME HUNTAZ (CORY V. and crew) Empty Elk

Post  Lyle B Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:00 am

thanks man, I'm just gonna use my trusty martin jaguar, looking forward this october to do a hunt elk in CO. Hope you get to go to the bowhunting potluck, wish I could go. You on Oahu? Thanks for the advice. I need it.

Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

BIG GAME HUNTAZ (CORY V. and crew) Empty 50 LB good enough!

Post  Nic Barca Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:17 am

I think a 50 pound bow would do the job just fine, although 60 LB would be more ideal. Make sure, of coarse, that your broadheads are razor sharp and use a cut on contact broadhead for maximum penetration. You might also want to check the legal minimum poundage for elk hunting in that state. Good luck.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DJFrosty Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:19 am

If you want to stop by Idaho on your way I can put you on some Mule Deer bucks.

DJFrosty
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

BIG GAME HUNTAZ (CORY V. and crew) Empty 50lb

Post  Lyle B Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:17 am

Hey Nic Barca, been watching you videos on Hunting footage and you tube, good stuff. I've been hearing that guys are taking out elk with 45lb recurve. Anyways i'll check up on the min. poundage. My favorite video you posted is the running boar shot and the feral cattle hunt. That's pretty nuts going after the wild cattle, Cory V said it's a rush to hunt them because they'll stalk you if you don't get'em good. Right on man, enjoy watching your videos here in the mainland.

Later, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum