Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can you cut & release to much?

3 posters

Go down

Can you cut & release to much? Empty Can you cut & release to much?

Post  CAVE CANEM Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:46 am

I have been having a pretty good start of a year so far and have cut 10 boars so far! 4 in one spot, 3 in another and 2 in another. I was cutting one this morning in a pretty small pasture where I am pretty sure the population in the area can't be very high and so I was second guessing whether I should cut this one? I cut the other boar in this same spot last week! Just wanted anyones input or experiences with how much cutting is to much for an area? I asked a family member and he said it was better then me killing um so no worry bout it. The main reason I cut is for future hunts and I just can't help to think I maybe affecting the population available in the future by cutting to many today. Possible??
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Can you cut & release to much? Empty laholes

Post  steady n' ready Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:04 am

is pigs like rabbits? how fast to they multiply? haha, but easy dea on all the laholes going be out dea. wea u been cuttin? lmk i wouldnt mind some fat monstah pigs in a year from now!!! lol. i would say to keep cuttin especially if its not hunted by many others. but im sure marking couple boars to breed wouldn be a bad idea either....ill pm you
steady n' ready
steady n' ready
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Can you cut & release to much? Empty Re: Can you cut & release to much?

Post  CAVE CANEM Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:46 am

Pm sent back, Pigs breed every 4 months! I think just notching the ears and not cutting some might be a great idea! 8 outta the 10 are on public hunting areas so huntum up boys, That's why I cut um! Should equal to couple big boys in the future! I dunno nothing bout marking pigs for breeding, I would appreciate it if someone who does could explain so I no cut someones breeder! Laughing Oops!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  spoonmeet Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:51 am

I dont think you can cut to much for one area. I cut between 20 and 30 a year and there seems to be no impact to the population. Been doing this for about 10 yrs.Just think if he looks good as a boar how much nicer he would look as a lahoole. as for the breeders I just let them go no markings because if i see cut ears I automatically assume its a lahoole .If I got the breeder from a different location i ear tag with cattle tags with dates and place released both on tags and calender at home that way if i come across of them in a year or so i know his genes are out there and i can decide to harvest if i want.

spoonmeet
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:48 am

That's good to hear Spoonmeet, I definately appreciate the input on your experiences. I don't move pigs around YET! Laughing I did mark a couple laho'oles with ear tags but was told by my uncle that the grab dogs mouths get cut by these tags so I stopped and been just notching since. Have you heard about this or had any experineces with their mouths getting cut? Thank you again for your input!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  steady n' ready Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:36 am

spoonmeet wrote:I dont think you can cut to much for one area. I cut between 20 and 30 a year and there seems to be no impact to the population. Been doing this for about 10 yrs.Just think if he looks good as a boar how much nicer he would look as a lahoole. as for the breeders I just let them go no markings because if i see cut ears I automatically assume its a lahoole .If I got the breeder from a different location i ear tag with cattle tags with dates and place released both on tags and calender at home that way if i come across of them in a year or so i know his genes are out there and i can decide to harvest if i want.

yah exactly what i thought, i caught a pig with a cattle tag in its ears with the numbers, assumed it was a lahoole but was one boar, i ended up cutting it, but was wondering if anybody as well had input in why people might do so, ear tag a boar?
steady n' ready
steady n' ready
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down