Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

grabers or barkers?

+6
Hui-Laho-Nui
Koa Boa
CAVE CANEM
uka boaz
koa96727
HUI MA UKA_ KOA'Z
10 posters

Go down

grabers or barkers? Empty grabers or barkers?

Post  HUI MA UKA_ KOA'Z Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:44 am

just wonderin wat are peoples opinions are when i comes to preference between grabbing and barking dogs.
HUI MA UKA_ KOA'Z
HUI MA UKA_ KOA'Z
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

grabers or barkers? Empty Re: grabers or barkers?

Post  koa96727 Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:09 am

depens where big grass or reall tick grabers is da way 2 go
ne where else i like my barker nipers every 1 has there own style tho
koa96727
koa96727
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  uka boaz Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:33 am

well most time's some place's get pig's that run and other area's get pig's that fight till death so i get 4 set's of tracka grab'z n 5 set's bark n nipa's
i use the graba's fo da kind place wea the pig's run n the bark n nipa's i use in the area's the pig just stand and fight i hope that help shoot's.
uka boaz
uka boaz
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  HUI MA UKA_ KOA'Z Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:41 am

Rajah mahalo for the reply!
uka boaz ho u must get sum feed bill ah haha right on bu
koa96727 yah i was thinkin of mabey trying to get into the bark and nip scene
any ideas on how to dicipline dogs without hiting um or hurting um?.. i got a Kelpie pup but i was told not to hit um? any ideas how to deal with this kind of dog? i heard they are sensitive dogs?
HUI MA UKA_ KOA'Z
HUI MA UKA_ KOA'Z
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  koa96727 Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:28 pm

it depens on da dog cuz da kelpie i get now i never did hit raising my voice is nuff but da kelpie i had b4 got it sometime
koa96727
koa96727
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:27 pm

I prefer a dog that does both and knows when to do each in order to get the pig stopped till I get there, My dogs also have their own plan so they break legs and eat hearts and then bark. Either one ends up with pigs down but the second option makes it hard to cut and release! Laughing

There is a difference between discipline and creating a "curler" and each dogs "point of curling" is different, A quick verbal correction might work on some and others may require a boot. Kelpies are naturally extremely intelligent dogs and shouldn't take much recourse to acheive results.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  uka boaz Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:05 am

Eh howzit hawaiian and yes the dog food bill is unreal but it's all good
but anyway the only thing i can think of is maybe try training the pup
with one half size pig in one round pen or just get one all ready
going bark n nipa and just put um in the pen with the pup and see
from dea shoot's n mahalo.

uka boaz
uka boaz
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:38 am

I prefer both they both have thier merits but alot of it depends on your style of hunting.

Alohaz!!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Hui-Laho-Nui Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:32 am

Muns, could u elaborate a lil bit plz. I kno u got a lot of experience, so could u fill us in on some inside scoops. experiences with each... and is it possible to make a dog jus bark while da others are grabbin da pig??
Hui-Laho-Nui
Hui-Laho-Nui
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:57 am

Howzit Varner,

I prefer a dog that does both meaning that he/she knows when to apply teeth to get the hog stopped and back off and steady bark. If the pig stays the dog just barks till the hunter/help dogs gets there. If the pig trys to run the dog will grab/nip at its rear end to get it to stop and sit/fight then again backs off and barks. If your style of hunting is shooting the pig then this is the best system in my opinion. Less chance of injured/killed dogs from the pig and/or a wayward bullet. If your style is grab and stab then you will need grab/help dogs to grab and hold the pig till the hunter gets there to dispatch it with his/her knife. Then you also have tracker/grabbaz that track and grab this is used mostly where da pigs run alot but not always. The one thing about these types is that they hardly ever bark so it can be very difficult at times and in certain situations to know if they are with pig or not (The Garmin GPS has helped TREMENDOUSLY) with these types of dogs. They sometimes take a huge amount of damage because the help dogs cannot help out if they dont know somethings happening. You also have barking dogs that grab or get real rough when help arrive. They'll find and bark nip/grab till another dog gets there or a rougher dog that goes in and mixes it up with the pig then they'll jump in and grab as well. Some will back off and bark every now and then and some WILL NOT let go once they grab. Theres others and I probly went over what I was asked sorry bout that, Hope this is a better explaination.

Alohaz,
Bradda Muns

Last edited by Koa Boa on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

grabers or barkers? Empty GRABBERS OR BARKERS???

Post  JYD Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:52 pm

IT HONESTLY DEPENDS ON WHICH ISLAND YOU LIVE ON
JYD
JYD
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:02 pm

JYD wrote:IT HONESTLY DEPENDS ON WHICH ISLAND YOU LIVE ON

I HONESTLY AND RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Hui-Laho-Nui Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:33 am

Yea right on MUNS! Dat was a cherry explanation. Das exactly da kine input i was lookin for. "Kama'aina h.s." is my patna KOA n he and i have been havin some conversations about dis topic. N I'm about to make a new topic on this but here is a preview... I have a couple dat will jus bark n nip til da back up reaches but my father range dog is da one dat jus track n grab, which is fine with me if FUCKIN GARMIN wasn't fuckin up! Lately what's been happening is a couple of them take off in da mornin n u don't see um for da rest of da day. It's shitty cuz they could be on a pig right off da bat but the garmin lose reception on da collar. So it's quite frustrating!! its gotten me to the point wea i told my patna "bra! i gotta get rid of dat dog!". It was outta anger n frustration but still, she might be going too far if the garmin is gonna keep doin this. It always loses reception. I'm not sure if anyone else is havin this kine issues or what to do wen this happens. ANY KOKUA???
Hui-Laho-Nui
Hui-Laho-Nui
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  JYD Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:53 am

Koa Boa wrote:
JYD wrote:IT HONESTLY DEPENDS ON WHICH ISLAND YOU LIVE ON

I HONESTLY AND RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE

OK...I respect that...but honestly I have never had a pig bay up for me on the Island of Oahu...Maybe I'm the only one...LOL
JYD
JYD
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:42 am

Howzit Bradda Varner yeah pm me about the Garmin issues and i'll help you out as much as I can.

Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:52 am

Howzit JYD yeah I know what you mean my bradda although its not as common here some still do bay up from time to time Very Happy . What I was disagreeing about was more geared toward what the OP was originally asking meaning that Huntaz on all islands use bark and grab dogs. And some huntaz prefer different styles of dogs that match thier personal style of hunting. Meaning Huntaz prefer Bark,Grab or a combo of both etc but I totally understand where you coming from my bradda.....In da struggle together!!!

Happy Huntin'

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hog428 Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:54 am

For me NO BARK no running if they miss on the jump they will return but I do love to here a good race as long as its not mine

hog428
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:18 am

Howzit Ray,

If theres no bark how do you find your dogs and the pig? I can see if the pig screams but if the dog nor pig makes a sound how will you know they are caught? If you use a tracking system then I can understand but then how will the help dogs be notified a fight is on? If all or most of ones pack hunts together than that is great all or most will be on the hit which is optimal in my book.

We're in this very boat right now our dogs dont bark we see them tree and gotta head to them but they take cracks sometimes because the help isnt aware they have something caught. Sometimes we'll here the scrap then it quits and it aint long eniough for the help to get a fix on the dogs so they return. Its frustrating at times so working some young ones right now so hopefully they turn out and make some noise Very Happy

Had a hunt where three of our dogs treed up didnt hear a thing but headed to them the GPS told me I was 20 yds away DIDNT HEAR ANYTHING kept going when I was 12 yds away (according to GPS) saw some tree tops moving got to the edge of a shelf and the 3 dogs had a nice boar none of them nor the pig was making any noise. The 2 grabbas with me saw the dogs and pig and ran in and hanapa'a without the GPS who knows what woulda happen.

Alohaz Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Hui-Laho-Nui Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:06 am

EXACTLY!!!!! I had dat exact situation happen to da tee, except was only 2 dogs n a nice pig bout 160 wit crankas too. But same ting, 20 yrds n no noise at all but we could smell da boar! ;-) By da time we got dea they were so exhausted they let got right wen they saw us n i had to shoot um. Was mean!! one dog got real buss up. But wut would happen without GPS????? hmmm...
Das Y i need an alarm(barking dog dat'll bark n notify da crew) including us.
Hui-Laho-Nui
Hui-Laho-Nui
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hog428 Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:38 pm

Hey Hawaiian !!
I have a dog that when things are under control he will let a few barks I always try to know where they are they are very short range But shit happens I lost a good dog in dec I never heard a thing two dogs came back all cut up this is rare But I did kill him two weeks ago he was one of crammers cut and release no balls no ears and no tail he had scars from many dogs form many years of fighting It was bitter sweet to put him down In the last 10 years the only dogs left in the mountains were dead

hog428
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  huntaz only Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:34 am

for my style of hunting I prefer having one barking dog that grabs ,but 90% of the time barking just to let me locate were the action,and my other 4 dogs Killing the dam Boar to death ,hunting Blue mountain helps to have a barking dog,lot of times dogs came back all rip and other times killed the Boar only because I could not hear them.yes areas,Islands ,defferent dogs for different huntaz,its all good,main thing u came home with da Boar , hunt safe,and dogs not cut if possible,. Long LIVE BLUE MOUNTAIN HUNTAZ
huntaz only
huntaz only
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  BLUE MOUNTAIN TRAILA Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:20 pm

Good 4 have all types of huntyn dogs cuz u neva no wat going happen wen you outther gathering some KAU'KAU.
IT'S ALL ABOUT TEAMWORK MY BRADDAAAHZ & KNOWING DA AREA WEA YOU HOLO'HOLO.NO CAN BLAME DA ANIMALS TO MUCH.

PEACA MY BRADDAAZS OVA & OUT Very Happy
BLUE MOUNTAIN TRAILA
BLUE MOUNTAIN TRAILA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down