Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Short,Medium or Long Range Tracker, Whats your Preference?

+5
lockaz
spoonmeet
CAVE CANEM
koa96727
Koa Boa
9 posters

Go down

Short,Medium or Long Range Tracker, Whats your Preference? Empty Short,Medium or Long Range Tracker, Whats your Preference?

Post  Koa Boa Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:35 am

Had Some discussions about this topic recently and was just going over it in my head the other day. I just read Bradda Kaiola's post and he made a reference to it and thought I'd start a Topic on the subject. So was just wondering what other hunter's idea of each is and what type of dogs they prefer and why. Also what is your idea of each for example: Short Range= 100 yds or Less Medium Range= 100-400 yds Long Range= 400+ yds.

I prefer short to medium range dogs for the simple fact that its easier for me and the other dogs to get there especially in the terrain we hunt. The less time it takes me and the help dogs to get there the less time the dogs are in harms way and lessens the chance for injury (especially if you hunt rough type dogs). On the other hand ive seen dogs killed or badly injured that reached the same time as I did so that just goes to show that anything can and does happen.

Alohaz,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Short,Medium or Long Range Tracker, Whats your Preference? Empty Re: Short,Medium or Long Range Tracker, Whats your Preference?

Post  koa96727 Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:12 am

open ranch med 2 long range
grass and forest short 2 med
depens where i hunting and how far i like walk dat day
koa96727
koa96727
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Short,Medium or Long Range Tracker, Whats your Preference? Empty Re: Short,Medium or Long Range Tracker, Whats your Preference?

Post  CAVE CANEM Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:17 pm

100 yards short
300 yards medium
500 yards Long
501 + You heard something? Grab the Garmin!

I prefer the short ranged dogs because I hate the feeling of "Where that dog stay?". My dogs also get rough fairly quick if I take to long getting there and then I am forced to take what I would consider a releasable sized pig out.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  spoonmeet Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:40 pm

howzit team brindle, as for me i like the short to medium range dogs. just because i not as fast as i used to be. long range can be good as long as they bark and nip. my dogs go medium to far and i seem to end up hunting for dogs or waiting for dogs ,wandering which way they went( still hunt old school). I was thinking SHORT range is the way to go as long as the dog not by your feet and checking back every 5 minutes or so.

spoonmeet
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  lockaz Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:56 pm

i hunt 4 short to middium range tracker graberz oni cuz barking dogz dont alwayz stop the pig they chase and then u end up goin far for answer my grabez hit i kill da boar wea they hit um so short is lik 100 to 200 yardz and middium is300 to 400 but thats my style i like um hit hard im oni there to help my dogz are da real hunterz
lockaz
lockaz
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Short,Medium or Long Range Tracker, Whats your Preference? Empty Mahalo!

Post  Koa Boa Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:41 pm

Right On My Braddaz Mahalo Nui for sharing your idea on this subject. Keep um comin'

Yeah Koa, I was talking with a buddy of mine about hunting the ranch and thats about the only situation I can personally think of that I would run a longer range dog. Cuz I can use other means to get to the dogs quick if have to i.e. quads,truck,horse etc.

Sup Team Brindle Howz da Hana Action?

Alohaz N Happy Huntin'

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  B.I.G. Boarz Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:00 pm

to me long range is 800-1000yds 400-700yds is good distance i like that dogs thatcan push that extra sometimes most of the times they not in that range they closer but if they goota go out and find i hope you get one garmin for keep up with your dog...My dogs push the distance and if they going that far 100% they on something so hang on for the ride we moving fast....ALOHAS good topic koa

B.I.G. Boarz
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Short,Medium or Long Range Tracker, Whats your Preference? Empty short range

Post  trackandgrab Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:58 am

I like short range betta. I too bus up, fat and old for answer bark if stay too far! I no more garmin so gotta be close enough for me hear. I kinda deaf too from years of shooting gun without ear plugs so more close gotta be so I can hear. Sometimes I hear one bird and I think as bark or screaming. Az ok.........I still catch one pig every once and awhile. Save some pigs for me.

trackandgrab
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.dantonnaone.com

Back to top Go down

Short,Medium or Long Range Tracker, Whats your Preference? Empty U heard dat?

Post  CAVE CANEM Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:34 am

I know the feeling Trackngrab! 2 much guns and loud sounds in small spaces got me hearing dogs when all of my dogs stay around to! Laughing
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hog428 Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:17 am

short range some dogs in eye sight at all times for me it is the chain of events that lead up to the moment I know my dogs if cretin dogs are out I know something is up were going to hit if cretin dogs are gone to long 99% of the time they are garbing I fu ked up time to hit the panic button On rare occasions other dogs will enter our hunt this throws them off I think they feel they need to look out for me This past week I was watching them we were high in the rocks we caught two nice hogs but as we were coming out my main dog would not lay down and rest always winding of the cliffs and looking at me I had pushed the top end of this long drain were I caught the two hogs I must have pushed this guy out we were both headed for the same spot its the only way out of the cliffs as we moved down she got more intense the the other dogs started winding maybe 30 yards out pin most of the time thats all the race I have

hog428
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:29 am

trackandgrab wrote:I like short range betta. I too bus up, fat and old for answer bark if stay too far! I no more garmin so gotta be close enough for me hear. I kinda deaf too from years of shooting gun without ear plugs so more close gotta be so I can hear. Sometimes I hear one bird and I think as bark or screaming. Az ok.........I still catch one pig every once and awhile. Save some pigs for me.

Bra heard that! Im packing a well defined belly these days Shocked I stocking up for when i make it on survivor i will have a nuff energy for the imunity challenge! Very Happy

Defintly short to meduim i like come home and enjoy my daughters, not sew dog cuz we couldnt reach or worse yet the grabbers couldnt reach.....also i like the fact that shorties have a tendecy to hit the hog all at 1 time and im able to actually get some hind quaters and not just ribs and some back Rolling Eyes strap
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down