Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting puppies

3 posters

Go down

Starting puppies Empty Starting puppies

Post  huntachad Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:49 am

Was just wandering how other people start their future hog killas?? For ex: at what age do you start them and how do you start them off?? Do you right away start showing them pig or do you just let them run with the older dogs and let them learn on their own by watching and imitating the experienced dogs??

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Starting puppies Empty Re: Starting puppies

Post  ShannonChun Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:03 am

Sup chad,i start mine at 4 to 5 mounths i just run 2 pups with my mane dog in a mountain that i know got pigs and a lot of sent and signs around i beleve they turn on faster with less dogs. And at first i just take um afternoon cupple hours cross river, back track and if lucky show um one pig but thats pritty much how i do um. If you need 4 run your pups with someone give me one call 853-8419. ALOHA
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:09 am

Raja dat my Bruddha.... Was just at Daniel house. Bra your pups are awesome!!!! Hopefully my pups come out like their dad and mom. The boy I kept is coming out one real doza and i get the other two girls for work wit also. Wanted to go run them moanalua tomorrow or Thursday but don't know about this rain. Defiantly will give you a call when they start coming along... Alohaz

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:20 am

Raja chad my pups is coming along but not turning out smart like duke just had 2 take my girl one vet one boar when brake her jaw but she all good now aloha hit me up i going hunt rain or shine 2morrow. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Starting puppies Empty Back in the day...

Post  Nic Barca Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:38 pm

we used to show them the pig in the pen at very young ages, like 2 months. If they showed interest, we'd let them take it to the next level. Once we even had a 2 month old tangling from a 100 pounders ear like an earing. If scared, don't force them or could traumatize. They should come around eventually. They can either turn-on one day like a switch or they may develope their grit more gradually with confidence. Smaller pigs helped a lot.

Don't take puppies hunting till 5 or 6 months when they have their shots and have immunities. We made the mistake before of taking 3 and 4 months olds and the whole litter came down with lepto. two of three died. The third, who was the runt, became our best hunting dog.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:28 pm

Thanks for the input. I think the only pups I had that grabbed on the first try was the pure bulls. All the rest of the pups that came my way all came around eventually. Yeah I want to bring these guys in the mountain so bad already but am to afraid of them catching something and end up loosing them to some type of disease. Think im gonna wait till they are at least seven months. In the mean time, i'll just go and bring the pig home to them. Hopefully my neighbors dont turn me in for animal cruelty.... lol. Thanks again....

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum