Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kona hunting April 26th through May 3rd. Best rates, guides

+2
Babooze
DJFrosty
6 posters

Go down

Kona hunting April 26th through May 3rd.  Best rates, guides Empty Kona hunting April 26th through May 3rd. Best rates, guides

Post  DJFrosty Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:23 am

I'll be in Kona on Vacation the end of April. I'm an experienced hunter but I'm not famililar with the local laws, seasons or what would be available to hunt. I was hoping for a pig or boar hunt and I do have a limited budget. Be more than willing to help somone interested in Mule Deer or Elk here in Idaho if anyone is coming this way as well. Anyway thanks

DJFrosty
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Kona hunting April 26th through May 3rd.  Best rates, guides Empty Re: Kona hunting April 26th through May 3rd. Best rates, guides

Post  DJFrosty Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:59 am

Should clarify I do have money to pay but wanted everyone to know if you come this way I'd love to share my hunting grounds as well.

DJFrosty
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Kona hunting April 26th through May 3rd.  Best rates, guides Empty Re: Kona hunting April 26th through May 3rd. Best rates, guides

Post  Babooze Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:32 am

Send Ambusher a PM. He guides on the Big Island and is pretty reasonable.

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  DJFrosty Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:29 am

I'll try that. How hard is it to bring my own weapon? Pretty strict gun laws there?

DJFrosty
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Kona hunting April 26th through May 3rd.  Best rates, guides Empty Kauai's available if you want.

Post  HOG WILD Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:46 am

DJFrosty,if you want to come to Kauai,we could set something up for you and there won't be any charge.Just maybe some day you could bring a Hawaii brother hunting for deer like you said and it don't have to be me.

"SOME GO HUNTING,SOME ARE HUNTER'S"

Aloha,Robert C.

HOG WILD
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai Boy Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:02 am

Yup, like HOG WILD said, we can take you pig hunt for free!
Kauai Boy
Kauai Boy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  DJFrosty Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:55 pm

How do I get there from Kona? Air, boat? I'll check it out. I wish I could bring my 73 Scout on 40 inch Iroks. I've seen some cool trucks in some of the pictures.

DJFrosty
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Turkey Joe Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:03 pm

DJF,
If you plan to bring a firearm into the state, you'll have to register it if it'll be in the state for more than 72hrs. There's some that can be borrowed. Let me know if you want to do that. As far as a Kona hunt goes, contact Jon Sabati. He guides on the Kealia Ranch. In April sheep (feral and mouflon X feral hybrids) will be open. The place has wild pig too. Jon can guide for rifle or archery.
Jon can be contacted through the website www.nwtf.org He is the Hawaii State Chapter president. Depending on how long you'll be on the Big Island, there's Spanish goats in the public hunting area Manuka, south of Kona.
Turkey Joe
Turkey Joe
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  DJFrosty Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:17 pm

I'd definatly like to be a contact here in Idaho if anyone is coming this way. Some great open Archery hunts and a terrific draw rifle hunt for muleys right near my home. I'll only be able to hunt one day as my wife and the others we'll be with have made several plans. Not reallly the sight seeing type. Most of Southern Idaho is a Lava Flow so I've seen the rocks but I'm excited to get to know the culture and the people and take full advantage of my time in one of the greatest places on earth. If I was to kill is there someone who would use the meat? I'd hate to waste the game and I can't eat it all in a week not to mention the resort might frown on me having a pig hanging on the Lanai. LOL.
That would be so sweet can't imagine the city dweller tourists reactions. I see people are using everything from knives, shotguns to .338 to take these pigs. I have all of the above but here shots are usually in excess of 100 yards and its not uncommon to shoot up to 400 with a good rest. I killed a cow elk at 650 with my 300 mag. A fair amount of luck involved but it was the end of the season and I had climbed all day to 10,500 feet and wasn't about to go home empty handed. Hit her in the spine and she dropped like a rock. She slid forever down the mountain on the snow and snapped a tree in half when she finally stopped. I was hoping these could be taken with a .223 as I have a nail driver savage tactical with a 6.5 x 20 leopold mil dot. This has definatly jumped to the top of my list of things to do in Hawaii.

DJFrosty
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:09 pm

.223 might be okay for sheep but I wouldn't count on good blood trails. Of coarse there's always head and neck shots...

If you want to do archery for goats and pigs on Kauai, I'll take you. I wouldn't want anything either.

Also, on the other side of the Big Island, there is a feral cattle hunting opportunity. Pay my airfair from Kauai and I'll guide you for free. Very Happy Sorry, I figured I'ld throw it out there.

There's another guy you might want to contact. He lives on Kona side but sticks to the Jesses Hunting & outdoors (JHO) forums, usually in the hogs forum. He goes by the screen name doccherry. I don't have his email and you will probably have to register with the forum to find him. Me and EvBouret used to post on there and hunt with him during our big island days. The guy is getting up there in age but is an unreal hunter and is eager to help out other mainlanders. Haven't heard from him for a little bit so I hope the old man's okay.
JHO forums
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DJFrosty Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:41 am

Airfaire is not too bad. Could we do it in a day? What are the odds of getting a pig or cow on a one day hunt? Would have to be rifle or pistol for sure. I'm terrible with a bow. Can't guarantee this buck but they do live here.Kona hunting April 26th through May 3rd.  Best rates, guides DeerHead009

DJFrosty
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Kona hunting April 26th through May 3rd.  Best rates, guides Empty cattle and pig.

Post  Nic Barca Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:46 am

For the wild cows, it's a 3.5 mile hike over rolling terrain thick jungle and lava flows until you get to an area of old soil and tall koa trees. The odds of success are really good for a day hunt. Yep, we can do it in a day. You'll want something fairly powerful. I had good results with 20 gauge slugs. The doccherry guy used a 45-70. I made a video of that trip: Hunting vid. Odds for something (pig or feral cattle), I'ld place at about 80%. It's public land so you need to wear an orange shirt or vest. Visibility in the forest is ten to 30 yards and they are a bit pissy so bring a large gun. EvBouret once had one rush him after putting abunch of 30-30 rounds through it's vitals. His partner for the day dropped the animal at their feet with a 12-gauge slug. I had a ten minute 30 feet away staring match with a 1500 pounder. Didn't want to shoot the thing. It's 4500 feet altitude and the day can start out kinda cold for Hawaii standards. I think it gets in the 40s at night and then up to 75 or 80 degrees during the day.

Last edited by Nic Barca on Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad spelling)
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DJFrosty Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:42 am

I'm a little out of shape but I could do that. I actually watched that vid earlier today. Temperature wise it would the hot more than the cold. It hasn't hit above thirty for a high here in three weeks. So I'm assuming the cattle must be a nuisanse? I'm seeing what I can do. It would be a blast I think.

DJFrosty
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down