Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where in big island?

4 posters

Go down

Where in big island? Empty Where in big island?

Post  Daniel_Peterson Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:05 am

What side on big island has the most to offer hunting wise, and what kind animals can you hunt up there? I heard pigs DUCKS
goats mouflan wildcattle anything else? Just curious never been before.

Last edited by Daniel_Peterson on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Daniel_Peterson
Daniel_Peterson
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Where in big island? Empty Re: Where in big island?

Post  NEVERslackin'ALWAYZpackin Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:17 pm

u pretty much named it all. theres not to many places u can hunt. i ben here 13 years and still havent seen a deer. haha but i do hear stories, most places need hunting license and some places need tags, or "outlaw" what kind of hunting? bow,gun,dogs?
NEVERslackin'ALWAYZpackin
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel_Peterson Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:33 pm

kona nut cutter wrote:u pretty much named it all. theres not to many places u can hunt. i ben here 13 years and still havent seen a deer. haha but i do hear stories, most places need hunting license and some places need tags, or "outlaw" what kind of hunting? bow,gun,dogs?
Believe me you guys get way more places than Oahu your island is five times bigger. And way more pigs. Dogs.
Daniel_Peterson
Daniel_Peterson
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Where in big island? Empty Big I spots

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Wassup Daniel,
A big majority of this lands are private. High power rifle hunting has the least amount of public area to hunt.
Bowhunting has more public areas but not by much. Hogs with dogs probably has the most public area available but in the grand scheme of things it is still not much. Much of the best hunting is on private lands. Some of these private entities do however open a season on some of there tracts occasionally. True, more land mass equals more game but that doesnt mean more right of access. Its good and almost absolutely necessary to "know" someone who has access. Not to knock public lands or anything. I still choose to run the dogs on public lands as they put the dogs stopping prowess to the test!
Oh and by the way..... There are NO deer on the big island...sshhhhh!!! Da HUI is watching
Alohaz - MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  NEVERslackin'ALWAYZpackin Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:22 am

Daniel_Peterson wrote:
kona nut cutter wrote:u pretty much named it all. theres not to many places u can hunt. i ben here 13 years and still havent seen a deer. haha but i do hear stories, most places need hunting license and some places need tags, or "outlaw" what kind of hunting? bow,gun,dogs?
Believe me you guys get way more places than Oahu your island is five times bigger. And way more pigs. Dogs.
yeah theres more pigs and land, but good luck getting to hunt all the private propertys on big island! only get couple places open to hunt couple times per year! other then that gotta kno someone who knows someone who has permission on private land. "good luck"
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  NEVERslackin'ALWAYZpackin Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:28 am

MAUKAKANE1 wrote:Wassup Daniel,
A big majority of this lands are private. High power rifle hunting has the least amount of public area to hunt.
Bowhunting has more public areas but not by much. Hogs with dogs probably has the most public area available but in the grand scheme of things it is still not much. Much of the best hunting is on private lands. Some of these private entities do however open a season on some of there tracts occasionally. True, more land mass equals more game but that doesnt mean more right of access. Its good and almost absolutely necessary to "know" someone who has access. Not to knock public lands or anything. I still choose to run the dogs on public lands as they put the dogs stopping prowess to the test!
Oh and by the way..... There are NO deer on the big island...sshhhhh!!! Da HUI is watching
Alohaz - MAUKAKANE1
r u sure theres no deer on big island?.?. "i hear theres axis deer" not alot but i hear stories from people that say thay seen groups of 2 or 3 south side big island

big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:58 am

Dehydration can wreak havoc on the imagination.
In the heat of the blazing sun, sunlight reflecting off shore plays tricks with the shadows on the land.
Pockets of gaseous formations sit within the vog ridden land affecting eyesight and judgement, on thick days it can even cause mild hallucinations, headaches and nausea.

The Hui ........ Brother....... Da Hui

MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Where in big island? Empty Yup they ways of the world

Post  Daniel_Peterson Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:42 am

Well Oahu for the most part is strait outlaw. Some people hunt with people cause they have permission but I make my own path for the most part....how strict is it on out law there?
Daniel_Peterson
Daniel_Peterson
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Where in big island? Empty Moku o Keawe

Post  steady n' ready Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:13 am

theirs many places to hunt on the bigisland, public and private, just depends if your a legal or outlaw type of hunter. idk how dlnr is up in oahu, but their definitely down here too, but if your gonna hunt ranch for pigs, watchout cuz any dog a cowboy dont recognize as their own will get shot off the bat, as you know bigisland makes a big part of the cattle industry in hawaii, and these ranchers cant afford to get one of their paychecks "stretched". you can pretty much see a goat from the road from kona side to waimea, as for sheep maunakea is pretty much the only public land for high powered rifle and is open for archery as well, feral/mouflan/goats/pigs. the federal lands opens on occasions for archery. there are a alright number of public hunting areas for pigs throughout the island, some open daily, some only on weekends and holidays. the majority of the private ranches on the bigisland have these game, but arent easily accessed for a outlaw. since our island for the most part is still pretty country, everyone keeps a eye out for eachothers land. In which ever way you hunt, the least thing you can do is respect everything around you. i hunt not only as a sport, but for meat. i think people mistake bigisland for its big game and big amount of game, but believe it all goes back to how we were taught to hunt here, let um grow...not everyone here catches big pigs or shoots big animals, or going catch all the time just cuz we have more grounds, huntings hunting, its all about the right place and the right time and a lil knowledge.

ps-pigs here dont always like to fight and scrap, trust me their some spots out here that will put bigisland dogs to the real test! but ya anyway my braddah if you ever come down this side, pm me, maybe can set up a hunt!

alohaz
steady n' ready
steady n' ready
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum