Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

any recipes for back straps

+5
AK Andy
evan
Babooze
Kauai Boy
Kurt
9 posters

Go down

any recipes for back straps Empty any recipes for back straps

Post  Kurt Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:08 pm

trying to find new/old recipes for some ono back straps. thanks

Kurt
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

any recipes for back straps Empty Re: any recipes for back straps

Post  Kauai Boy Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:08 am

Pork and Squash style!
Kauai Boy
Kauai Boy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Babooze Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:44 am

Pork: Garlic salt and pepper, with onions and cream o mushroom gravy. Deer : Teriyaki sauce and BBQ em with Kiawe wood.

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  evan Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:57 am

brine for a week...wrap in bacon or prosicutto and bake in the oven.
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

any recipes for back straps Empty backstraps

Post  AK Andy Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:25 am

I can't speak much for pork backstraps, but I shoot several deer a year. My all time favorite way for deer backstraps (Grandma's way) is to cut them into medallion steaks across the grain to the thickness you prefer (~ 1")then put them into a baggie one by one that already has dry fry mix in it and shake it until they get a good coating (store bought fry mix works well - like shake-n bake or fish fry mix) but for homemade fry mix: use flour and some corn meal with salt, pepper, garlic powder, Mrs. Dash and whateva seasonings you have on hand. Grandma uses a deep dish to flip them around in the flour mix instead of the baggie.
Get a frying pan about 1/4" full of cooking oil (a bit of lard will make the coating crunchier and is what grandma uses)- then make sure the oil is good and hot before ever adding the coated meat pieces to fry. (test it first by dropping a pinch of flour into it to make sure it sizzles. Tend to each piece individually with a fork and flip them as soon as they get golden brown- you'll see some blood come to the top-, then fry the other side the same way, be way careful not to cook them too long so that there is still some rare in the middle because that juice is where the flavor is at. then get them out of the oil quick and put them onto a plate that has paper towel on it to soak up any excess oil.
basically a great way to fry fish too, but fried venison backstrap (or fried venison tenderloin) is tops cooked like this.... I shot a Kauai goat last year and fried up nanny backstrap the same way and it was most excellent. I hope you try it, you won't be disappointed! Up here in Alaska I cook caribou, sheep, and moose the same way very often. Of course just about anything fried tastes ono.
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:29 am

thanks for all the replays.

Kurt
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Shane M. Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:47 pm

We make a killa roast out of the pork we catch. Same way you cook a store bought roast, just a little lower temp and longer time in the oven. Soooo ono

Shane M.
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

any recipes for back straps Empty Lemon Fried Pork!

Post  Nic Barca Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:11 am

If very lean, remove tendon or gristle, but if a layer of fat is present, leave gristle and fat intact.

1) Slice back strap into thin bite size pieces against the grain.

2) Oil pan with butter (preferably unsalted) or a little bit of oil. I prefer non-hydrogenated oils for health reasons. Olive oil, coconut oil, and pork lard are my favorites. If the pork has lots of fat, you may not need to add any oil at all.

3) Cook pork on medium heat being sure to get good coverage. Flip individual pieces over if necessary. Juices will come out from the meat and aid in the cooking process.

4) Increase heat to reduce liquids. As sauces condense and caramelize, reduce heat to medium and continue to stir pork until thoroughly browned. It should smell ONO!

5) Add salt and pepper to flavor. I prefer Hawaiian Alaea Sea Salt for optimum health and to support local economy.

6) Finally, take half a lemon and squeeze on to cooked meat, then remove from pan onto a plate with paper towel.

This is very similar to using lemon pepper on your fried pork but you will be amazed at how much better real lemon tastes. And it doesn’t have the msg and weird preservatives that the commercial lemon pepper has.

Make large batches. Leftovers make an excellent pupu.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

any recipes for back straps Empty Don't forget to save your lard!

Post  Nic Barca Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:24 am

This isn't really a backstrap recipe, or any recipe at all:

Home-made Lard!
Collect excess fat from the pig and cook it on a low-medium heat to extract the oils. Heat it just hot enough to draw the oils without burning it. After a while, you’d have lots of clean oil. Spoon out the crispy bits of fat and meat and transfer oil to a glass jar and store in refrigerator. It will harden looking clean and white. It’s a saturated fat and works great for all sorts of frying. I also add it to my breads or other recipes that call for lard such as home made tortillas. Donno how long it takes for the stuff to go rancid. You might want to freeze it or use it within the week which usually isn’t a problem because there’s so little. And if this seems unhealthy, keep in mind, your ancestors ate this way and lived long healthy lives without heart disease.

Probably much healthier for you than the vegetable oil, canola oil, and corn oil we buy in the supermarket but has a shorter shelf life. Wikipidia has a good page on lard if anyone wants to look it up. In any case, a good way to better use the animal.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

any recipes for back straps Empty BOAR STEW>>>>RIBS TOO

Post  HYPA Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:10 pm

TRY THIS ...Cut the back straps into 2inx1/4in peices try to save some fat but not too much...put em into zip locks half full.....In a pot heat up 1/2 gal soyu with 1/4gal water and crushed garlic and ginger also a little shot of vinegar(to taste)..add half box brown sugar. Heat only to warm and the sugar melts....DONT BOIL!! remove from heat then let kool.

Pour the sauce into the zip locks and let the meat marinate over night...the zip locks makes it alot easier for the marinade to get into the meat.

After marinating is done get a large stock pot and fill it 3/4 full with water pull the meats outta the bag you mght want to use 2 bags and freeze the rest for later . dont dump marinade into water put all the meat into pot and cut up 1 large onion and about 5 large cloves of garlic let boil till water comes halfway down from were it was..(about an hour).if you have too much fat the oil will sit up on the top of the water and you dont want too much of this so cut the fat off b4 boiling but leave some for tenderness.

Once the meat is soft now add stewed tomatoes 2 cans and a little bit shoyo...for color,,,, also pour a quick shot of fish sauce into the pot..I use patise but not alot!!!! also add peppercorn or regular pepper up to you also crush 2 bay leaves inside.

Boil for another half hour untilll the tomotoes has reduced now cut up half head of cabbage, a full bunch of water crest and put into pot ...lower the heat and simmer till cabbage and water crest is soft now pour in a can of whole olives.

This how i make my wild boar rib stew and its killers, if you use the ribs then make sure you cut em about 3 in ches long and 2 ribs deep. Also marinade them they same way I use this with the back strap too and its hard to keep the pot from walking off.........TRUST ME

If you are using a musky old boar then dump out the first water with onion and garlic after about 5 10 min of steady boil then add new water new onion and new garlic, This will remove any blood left inside and will remove that boar musk smell.

ENJOY LET ME KNOW HOW IT COMES OUT
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

any recipes for back straps Empty dinner (roast back strap)

Post  honu ea Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:04 am

marinate:
1 cup shoyu
6 cloves garlic
2 sprigs of rosemary
1 tbl vinegar
little sugar to taste
marinate for 2-3 hours
before cooking, hawaiian salt and pepper. drizzle with olive oil.
cook in oven @ 325 for 25-30 mins per pound
gravy:
heat drippings and water in a pan. then add flour a little at a time, to the thickness of your liking.
enjoy

any recipes for back straps Hpim1119
honu ea
honu ea
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: