Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bark trail

+10
Daniel_Peterson
ShannonChun
koa96727
CAVE CANEM
ansah bark
hayn/auzzi
longest finger
spoonmeet
austin316
lacyhuntah808
14 posters

Go down

bark trail Empty bark trail

Post  lacyhuntah808 Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:10 am

My brother has a pup that has a good nose and can find pig but she gets excited when she sees pigs and she starts to bark trail. I was wondering what defferent types of methods that any of you hunters have tryed and it worked?

lacyhuntah808
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

bark trail Empty Re: bark trail

Post  austin316 Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:36 am

Let em watch da yard,he goin bark wen da cops coming close.

austin316
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  spoonmeet Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:50 pm

try age em for a few more months than try again. Hopefully he out grow it.

spoonmeet
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  longest finger Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:59 pm

putum back on the rope, hit more pigs cut her loose when the pack getum bailed!!

longest finger
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hayn/auzzi Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:49 pm

I had a dog with the same problem. I think she was bitching trying to keep up with the other dogs when they was chasing pig. I put her on a chain away from my kennels so she was a little sucluded for a while. It seemed to help when i brought her out she seemed not to care what the other dogs were doing was going out on her own trips and didn't bark I mean i heard bark when they caught a pig but not that yapping bitching bark. more of that directional bark when they catch a pig. It was just a theory because i thought she might be feeding off the excitement from the other dogs so i separated her from the pack till hunt days. Good luck!

hayn/auzzi
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ansah bark Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:09 am

sellem
ansah bark
ansah bark
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:21 am

Run her with a good stopping dogs and as she learns to stop them herself use less help. Sounds to me as if she is just a young dog that still needs to be shown by an older dog or just keep running her and hope she figures out yipping behind as the pig runs only pushes the pig. Once she has eyes on the pig she can make as much noise as she like if she knows to chase and stop it if it runs!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  koa96727 Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:28 am

If shes a lacy. Dats just how they are They chase bark
koa96727
koa96727
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:37 am

I had a dog with the best nose i ever seen that can find pig super good but he use 2 bark behind the pig and i tryed 2 brake um but he never changed, i tryed everything u could think of even putting a shock collar on him and when he barking i would shock him but that faka would bark even more!!!! the dog had that plott/lacy line in him!!! 2 me when a dog bark trail 90percent of the time it will stay with them and its very hard 2 brake that and also they will cost u alot of pigs!!!! aloha hope this helps. For got 2 say i worked with the dog year half and hunted um 5times a week no can help if the dog no turn out and i get all sick when i got 2 get rid of one dog cuz for me i love every dog i train!!

Last edited by ShannonChun on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

bark trail Empty Dud

Post  Daniel_Peterson Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:44 am

Sorry buddy you got a yapper....dud...find um a home
Where it wont be hunted
Daniel_Peterson
Daniel_Peterson
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  steady n' ready Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:07 am

i seen alot of duds end up blowin up in that case...but den again who wants to deal with a dog that needs work ryt? nobody, heh, no wonder i seen plenty dogs even if they took longer to learn or more time be bombs. everybody wants the dog that has no problems, if it does, too much hard work n get rid, as far as barking trail guess gotta get a bull so you wont have that problem Laughing
steady n' ready
steady n' ready
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  SaltyMuffinMaker Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:40 am

Sounds like you got a bird and cattle dog right there!
That other blue lacy, he no bark trail. That girl one, idk bout her. Mo bettah play Nintendo and shoot duck, she seem good at dat. Or maybe she was tied up in da yard too long and had too much keedz for take care of.
SaltyMuffinMaker
SaltyMuffinMaker
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:32 am

Steady and ready i feel u on that one i seen it happen alot where the dog just needs 2 be broken in and hunted more they would turn out bomb but as of barking trail i could see a hunter getting rid of that dog!!!
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  moosehead Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:42 pm

AT LEAST YOU NO NEED TRACKING SYSTEM YOU ALWAYS GOINIG KNOW WHERE YOUR DOG STAY!!!!!LOL
ON A REAL NOTE IF YOU HUNT A LOT OF GRASS AREAS WHERE THE PIGS ARE HARD TO CATCH HUNT UM IN THERE.WHEN THEY HIT UM YOU KNOW WHERE THE PIG RUNNING SO YOU CAN BE WAITING WITH ONE LEAD PILL FOR THAT PIG.ALSO TRY LET UM RUN AROUND WITH OTHER DOGS TO SOCIALIZE WHEN YOU NOT IN THE HUNTING AREA THIS MIGHT HELP OR TRY TAKING THE DOG BY ITSELF HUNTING TO SEE IF BARKING AT OTHER DOGS OR JUST THE PIG SCENT...
WHAT KINE OF BREED?HOUNDS I NOW IT TAKES A LOT LONGER FOR THE DOG TO MATURE,SOMETIMES UP TO A COUPLE OF YEARS.TRUST ME I'VE SEEN YAPPERS TURN OUT TO BE EXCEPTIONAL DOGS IF YOU HAVE THE TIME AND PATIENTS TO WORK WITH THEM...HOPE THIS HELPS OUT.....ALOHA
moosehead
moosehead
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  steady n' ready Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:59 am

isnt barking behind n barking trail somewat different? weither or not the dog is barking before it hits the pig on a fresh trail or on the chase...just thought id throw that in, cuz i see ppl talkin about both, i think lacyhuntas dog is barking after she hits the pig, loses it, and only smells it tryna follow track. but ya good to see ppls views
steady n' ready
steady n' ready
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:43 am

For me theres 2 types of dogs=Track and grab and grab dogs as far as dogs barking all ova that wouldnt fly with me!!!if a dog is barking and at least mixes um cupple times barks mixes um again thats good!!! but if the dog is just barking and barking and not turning nothing up not even a revolution and does that hunt after hunt thats a yapper!!!
yapper= A dog that barks on fresh cent where the pig just ran and the dog is far behind!!!
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

bark trail Empty Yapper or yipper?

Post  Daniel_Peterson Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:44 am

My opinion is if the dog is within couple feet whining or even yipping is ok but anything farther back than that consistently is a negative. But I've seen mean dog give a yap when the pig is smoking um. If it barks trail meaning it doesn't see pig skit that dog thats my personal opinion. If it's close that,ll be when you need to decide for yourself.
Daniel_Peterson
Daniel_Peterson
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hayn/auzzi Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:57 pm

laceyhunter said his dog is a pup. In that case wen do you decide that the dog won't break or grow out of any bad habits that they have? Like steady and ready said some dogs mature into really good dogs later on. Sounds like laceyhunter wants to work with the dog and any advice that can help do that. For me its way nicer to work with dogs without problems. But when you have a dog with issues when do you know that dog will never be something good? Or is that just a personal decision based on what someone can or should tolerate? Just because a young dog doesn't have problems doesn't mean that dog will be an ace nor does it mean that a dog with problems will never be good. But dogs with problems could mess up your chances of catching pig and possibly mess up other dogs. Personally I don't want to tolerate more than I have to to say "that dog will never be good!" So how to identify that as soon as possible would be my question. I was learning from an old time hunter who didn't get rid of his dogs that weren't working out till four or five years old. He has always done pretty well on Oahu. I just don't know if i got the patience, space, time, or money for that!

hayn/auzzi
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  ShannonChun Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:48 pm

hayn/auzzi= For me i could brake anything but yappin when a dog yaps its in them 2 do so 90% of the time it will stay with them, i seen pure bulls even do it, its all in the dog. As far as training i would have a dog 2 your liking cuz thats how all your pups will turn out!! if u have a main bark dog then your pups would pick it up, for me i like the dogs that hit the pig on a quite note u turn up more pigs that way.
ShannonChun
ShannonChun
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  B.I.G. Boarz Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:48 am

just take um where the pigs no run then the problem going stop...then try um again later where they run and see....get good chance they stop that habit...i seen one dog from honokaa bark on the run up ookala side he find the pigs just cannot stop um then i took the dog and hunt out to volcano side where pigs not going run like the main trail boarz...believe it or not he was pounding pigs in the hilo area and then less then a year later i took um back to ookala and he never have that problem anymore...now he kind of grew out of it and just steady bark action...maybe that will help ALOHA

B.I.G. Boarz
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum