Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bear recurves

3 posters

Go down

Bear recurves Empty Bear recurves

Post  Lyle B Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:05 am

What's ur opinion on Bear Recurves? good starter bow? Quality wise? one thing I notice is very cheap.

Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Bear recurves Empty Re: Bear recurves

Post  UpFront Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:49 am

They are nice bows, especially the older ones. Certain models like the Kodiak Magnums are very popular with collectors.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:10 pm

Just bought a bear grizzly 50# 2008 model mint condition off ebay for less than $200 with shipping and soft case. Actually I can only compare it to my first bow, an old bear takedown 45#. It is alot lighter, has bolts to accept a quiver, came with a nice rug rest, The bow looks very nice. Black glass powdered finish on the inside and outside of limbs. The wood grain looks great.

Haven't completely got brace height and nock point adjusted yet, but it is less sensitive to these then my old bow.

To answer your question. My first bow the bear take down was pretty awesome. It lasted me more than a couple of years as I learned to shoot and learned about archery. I gave it to my brother as his first bow and he is stoked. That bow is starting to have some stress cracks on the fiberglass limbs, but it is from around 1976, so no big deal there.

Your welcome to check these bows out just pm me.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Bear recurves Empty recurve

Post  Lyle B Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:20 am

Hey Timmy, sent U a PM!

Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:58 am

some images of my expensive Italian imported carpet.

And bear recurves

Bear recurves P1030860
Bear recurves P1030861
Bear recurves P1030862
Bear recurves P1030863
Bear recurves P1030864
Bear recurves P1030358
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:51 pm

That's a nice bow Jeff. What the poundage and what arrows are you flying with it? Are you gonna put a quiver on it? I'm still playing around with the arrow formula on mine. I just got up the nerve to drill two holes in my riser for a Quickee mount.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:06 pm

Hey Dave, I got the old bow tuned and the arrows were flying pretty well. Probably as well as possible for shooting off the shelf. I am using those arrows. I may have to try something else. Still working out the bugs.

58 inch bow at 50#. Right now 7 1/2 inch brace height and nock is 7/16" above 0 (still working on this)
easton gamegetter xx75 400's 2016 31 1/2 inches (nock to end of arrow not including insert)
150 grain heads (woodsman) or the "Hammer" small game blunt 145 grain with 5 grain washer.
5 inch parabolic true flight feathers right helical as far back as the jig lets me put em.
The arrows are 528 grains and forward of center is 15%
Using a tab as a release.

I think these will be fine for this bow, just gotta figure out the correct brace and nock point.

I got a selway bolt on quiver that holds 5 arrows. I havn't used it yet but it looks really nice on the bow and seems like it will be perfect.

I will post pics of the setup with quiver later.
Stay tuned.....

What you using so far?
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Bear recurves Empty Bear

Post  Lyle B Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Nice Bow! and killer rug!

keep U posted on the bow.

Aloha Lyle!

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:02 am

timmy96815 wrote:Hey Dave, I got the old bow tuned and the arrows were flying pretty well. Probably as well as possible for shooting off the shelf. I am using those arrows. I may have to try something else. Still working out the bugs.

58 inch bow at 50#. Right now 7 1/2 inch brace height and nock is 7/16" above 0 (still working on this)
easton gamegetter xx75 400's 2016 31 1/2 inches (nock to end of arrow not including insert)
150 grain heads (woodsman) or the "Hammer" small game blunt 145 grain with 5 grain washer.
5 inch parabolic true flight feathers right helical as far back as the jig lets me put em.
The arrows are 528 grains and forward of center is 15%
Using a tab as a release.

I think these will be fine for this bow, just gotta figure out the correct brace and nock point.

I got a selway bolt on quiver that holds 5 arrows. I havn't used it yet but it looks really nice on the bow and seems like it will be perfect.

I will post pics of the setup with quiver later.
Stay tuned.....

What you using so far?
Well, so far I'm going with 55-60 spine cedar shafts that are stained and crested with 5' shield cut rw feathers and 125 grn broadheads. I'm gonna start there by bare shafting at 30' and tune/trim down from there to see if I can get something I'm happy with. I ordered some 75 grn woodyweights but I think if I go with more weight up front I will have to go with a heavier spine so I may order some more shafts.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum