Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wild pigs in Honolulu?

4 posters

Go down

Wild pigs in Honolulu? Empty Wild pigs in Honolulu?

Post  magazine writer Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Aloha Oahu Pig Hunters,

I am a writer for Honolulu Magazine, and I need your help for an article I'm writing. I am trying to find out what non-hunters can do when they have problems with wild pigs coming into their yard. Does anybody have experience hunting or trapping nuisance pigs in or around Honolulu? If anybody has stories I would very much like to hear them. Also, what are the most unexpected places on Oahu that you've seen pigs?

Please call me, email or post your story here Jan. 31, 2012. That's my deadline.

Thanks!

David Thompson

magazine writer
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Wild pigs in Honolulu? Empty Re: Wild pigs in Honolulu?

Post  Kauai808 Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:03 am

Not in oahu but if you see a pig in your yard I would suggest you stay away from it. Most times they will run off but some pigs can be aggresive and will attack. I would contact a hunter or someone who traps and if you don't know anyone they you could possible reach out to a pest control company and they might have some contacts.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  BIG DOG BOAR HUNTA Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:21 am

Hi my name is Wayne Perrin I work for KAKOOOIWI, a non- profit hawaiian aina maintenance and restoration project (www.kakoooiwi.org). My role is a wild hog eradicator and security personnel. I been with this project for a little over a year now and we successfully eradicated about 200 hogs with my main approach being dog and knife. I also just recently started working with the (DLNR) where we are currently working in Manoa Valley (TANTLUS) with my main approach also being dog and knife. I run into these kinds of situations where hogs trespass into peoples homes almost daily and I'm called upon to remove them. I am a heavy equipment operator by trade so most of my hog hunting is done mostly on the weekends. I'm also skilled in trapping but the most effective way to solve the hog abundance is by dog and knife. Hunting is a family tradition of mine, I hunt alongside my father whose been hunting for 40 years and I for 25. We practice safe and natural methods, no guns just dog and knife. We believe in preserving the sport as well as the land " Our Aina" and passing it on to many more generations to come. Being veterans in the sport we can answer any questions you or anyone might have about hogs. We are very eager and available to help in any way possible. We are looking forward to hearing back from you,
Mahalo, Wayne Perrin
BIG DOG BOAR HUNTA
BIG DOG BOAR HUNTA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hayn/auzzi Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:16 am

If you don't know anything about wild hogs, Do Not Feed Them! Some people think its cool but you'll start with one and you'll end up with twenty! Wild hogs are wild hogs! If you ever raised one you know that they are aggressive by nature. Ours used to act nice then bite the shit out of you then run away! But really, wild pigs can be a pain in the ass! They're like rats. They multiply like crazy, carry diseases, and eat anything! If they can kill it, they'll eat it. So watch your babies and pets if you see wild hogs where you live! If you see hogs in Honolulu do something about it right away. Most likely not a safe situation. In a populated area like that the best way to get rid of the hogs would be a trap.

hayn/auzzi
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  magazine writer Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Mahalos to all the pig hunters who posted replies or called to talk. Your input helped me focus this story and understand what it is you guys do. Please check out the story when it appears our March issue.
- D a v i d T h o m p s o n

magazine writer
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down