Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catch the news story about the peacoks in Makaha?

+3
HYPA
Babooze
Turkey Joe
7 posters

Go down

Catch the news story about the peacoks in Makaha? Empty Catch the news story about the peacoks in Makaha?

Post  Turkey Joe Tue May 12, 2009 7:50 pm

Did any of you guys see this on the news last night (4/11/09)? I heard about it at work. Apparently the residents are fed up with the noise and mess from these birds. What a surprise. There's many folks who don't what the birds shot because they're so pretty.

"I promise to only shoot the ugly ones"--Ted Nugent

If there's a sign-up list, sign me up!
Turkey Joe
Turkey Joe
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Catch the news story about the peacoks in Makaha? Empty Re: Catch the news story about the peacoks in Makaha?

Post  Babooze Wed May 13, 2009 12:16 am

I was just talking to a friend about how nice a Peacock would look on the wall! LOL

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Catch the news story about the peacoks in Makaha? Empty Re: Catch the news story about the peacoks in Makaha?

Post  HYPA Wed May 13, 2009 12:16 pm

can you even eat em? Rolling Eyes
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Wed May 13, 2009 3:38 pm

They are just fancy Turkeys aren't they?
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  evan Wed May 13, 2009 7:12 pm

I have a friend who has eaten one and says they're great. Similar to turkey but not as dry.
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Thu May 14, 2009 12:30 am

Shoot em all. They are about as rude as pigeons. I was eating lunch with my kid at the zoo and I had to slap one right on the side of it's head with my reef sandle to keep him out of our lunch. Evil or Very Mad
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Turkey Joe Thu May 14, 2009 3:10 am

They eat great. Peafowl are really just big shiny green pheasants. I've made peacock long rice with and shoyu peahen...both were good.
Turkey Joe
Turkey Joe
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HOG WILD Thu May 14, 2009 7:12 am

Eh Joe,I bet Andy would love to shoot one of those with his Bow.Thanks for the knife.I'll try it on the first Hog in the future,hopefully this weekend.Also I won a bid for a similar knife to your NWTF Banquet.Actually it's a Banquet with a composit handle.Works real great and keeps a real good edge.Let me know when you want to come to Kauai for some Hogs again.

Aloha,Robert C.

"SOME GO HUNTING,SOME ARE HUNTER'S"

HOG WILD
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Thu May 14, 2009 11:24 am

couldnt help but to laugh. Very Happy .....THIS SOUNDS REALLY GOOD!!!!. Surprised ...I am gonna have to try it, ill put the link on the bottom

Q. Have you a recipe for preparing peacock?

Mr. Wayne W. Jarvis
Santa Cruz, California

A. Peacock can be cooked very like turkey, except that it tends to be dry-fleshed and requires frequent basting with butter. Don't know where you got your peacock, but every time we see one of those fine-feathered fellows strutting around the local zoo, we can't help thinking how handsome he would look on a silver serving platter!

Roast Young Peacock
Slinge, draw, and stuff a peacock with forcemeat. Truss it for roasting and roast it in a moderate oven (350° F.) for about 20 minutes per pound, or until well browned and tender, basting very frequently with melted butter. Serve hot with pan gravy or cold with chopped jelly and cold sauce poivrade.

To make the forcemeat, soak 1 pound of bread crumbs in milk and press out the moisture. Combine it with 1 pound of chopped beef marrow, the peacock liver, finely chopped, 10 shallots or 1 onion, chopped and stewed in butter until tender, 1 tablespoon each chopped green celery leaf and parsley, and a little sage, marjoram, and thyme. Season with cayenne, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.

Sauce Poivrade
To 6 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan, add 1 carrot and 1 onion, both diced, and cook until they are golden-brown. Add 1/2 cup flour, mix together, and cook until the flour turns golden-brown. Add 3 cups brown stock or double-strength beef consommé and 1 cup tomato purée, mix well with a whip, and cook, stirring until well blended. Add 3 or 4 sprigs of parsley, 1 bay leaf, and a little thyme. If any bones of the game are available, brown them well in the oven and add them. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally and skimming as needed.

Put 1/2 cup vinegar and 6 peppercorns, crushed, in a pan and cook until the liquid is reduced to about one third the original quantity. Strain the sauce into the reduced vinegar mixture and cook all together for about 30 minutes, skimming carefully as the fat rises. Add 1/2 cup red wine to finish the sauce.

This exclusive recipe is pulled directly from Gourmet's archive.

http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/1950s/1951/12/peacock

If anybody does this b4 me please let me know how it works out i wouldnt know were i would even get one without pissing some tree hugger off...lol
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum