Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

frustrated with garmin collars

+2
huntachad
huntaz only
6 posters

Go down

frustrated with garmin collars Empty frustrated with garmin collars

Post  huntaz only Mon May 18, 2009 4:53 am

does any one have the same problem that I have hooking up my charger to the collars?theres times I wonder if the frustration is worth the money.also the plastic housing seems it cant take the boars beating.any body had problems hooking up the charging connection and what did you do to solve the problem maybe just return the dam thing, mean while I went back to my wild life.
huntaz only
huntaz only
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

frustrated with garmin collars Empty Re: frustrated with garmin collars

Post  huntachad Mon May 18, 2009 5:34 am

I have one collar that has a hard time hooking up to. When I plug it in the blue light does not turn on, but when I jiggle it a little it turns on then turns back off. I have seven collars total so all I do is keep switching the collars with that particular plug until I find one that the blue light will stay on. I also noticed that the contact points have to be clean in order for it to light up. So I always clean the contact points before charging. As far as the plastic housing, well I guess I haven't caught enough boars to experience that problem yet. Alohaz - Chad

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Mon May 18, 2009 7:07 pm

WOW im kinda shocked i thought for the money they would be a little more dependable...I saw the case on brads collar and it was bust up, I will wait till they put the case into a reisen casing and maybe put one of those five year batteries into em.

Brad are you cutting down the time you spend in the mountain because of the collar?
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  huntaz only Tue May 19, 2009 5:04 am

Hypa I been spending alot of time in the hills, but the battery life is a real problem. especially the way we hunt I lost dogs on the summits just got my dog back after 2 weeks the antenna was broken in half and it was,nt a great feeling not knowing were my dog was at with the wild life at least the battery last awhile .long live blue mountain huntaz
huntaz only
huntaz only
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Fri May 29, 2009 8:55 am

Howzit Brad, So you only run the GPS collar instead of both on your dogs? Just wondering because I would recommend running both due to the reasons youre talking about as well as others.

I run both so If for any reason the GPS unit craps out I still have my telemetry collars as back-up.

Wish you the best of luck.

Yeah Bradda Hypa its not as rugged as the resin encased telemetry units but at least theyre heading in the right direction. The first units was a thorn in my side Wink Still got a ways to go but getting closer.

Aloha's
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  huntaz only Sat May 30, 2009 3:12 am

no I,m not the collars are great when there working ,I guess there going in the right direction, garmin gave me new chargers and so far there working, I was told garmin had a bad batch of chargers so if any one has the same problem call garmin. just wish the battery life would last atleast a month other than that there great.Huntaz Only Brad, thanks
huntaz only
huntaz only
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sat May 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Yup I hear what youre saying too bad the battery life and ruggedness isnt comparable to the telemetry units. But yeah theyre great when theyre working.

Several weeks ago one of our dogs somehow got himself twisted up in some major vines and couldnt get out. I found him twisted up so bad that it took me awhile to cut him outta there. Im sure he wouldnt have been able to get out by himself he woulda died had I not found him. The GPS took me right to him thought he had a pig till I crawled in there and saw him all tangled up. Good Stuff!!!

So you been hunting the summit lately? We just had some teams up there last week but didnt get to ask them about the
hog situation. Take it easyand Good Hunting!

Aloha, Bradda Munsta
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Huntr Pat Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:03 am

Garmin DC 30,
Glad I found this post I was just gettin ready to buy some garmins. Here in California we can't use gps. only tracking collars.
I'm going to the mountains east of madera. Good luck!
Huntr Pat
Huntr Pat
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  hog killahz inc. Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:32 am

i really appreciate the garmin system because i had a situation similar to monsta, where two of my dogs hit a pig and chased it down into makua firing range from kuaokala. if i hadn't had the garmin i wouldn't have known that the dogs chased over, it just so happened they couldn't find their way back up either cause was all the steep fingers in the back of the range and the dogs was down in one of those pockets. so with the garmin we went down and found a way to get to the dogs, if we hadn't had the garmin no ways we would've known the dogs was down there stuck. and the charger has only given me a hard time when the connections are dirty. but rajah. ALOHA!
CURTIS, TEAM H.K.I.
hog killahz inc.
hog killahz inc.
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum