Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE FUTURE OF OUR SPORT

+4
hunters6262
Haynhoundz
seanboy
Junz
8 posters

Go down

THE FUTURE OF OUR SPORT Empty THE FUTURE OF OUR SPORT

Post  Junz Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Howzit guys

Its hard for me to fathom all the recent atrocities that have been committed by careless hunters who seem to have no control over their hunting dogs. It seems they have only one thing on their mind, catch a pig no matter what the cost. They have no remorse for the wrong they commit and don't bother to think that everyone else who hunts and follows the rules will have to pay and suffer for their ignorance. I haven't hunted for a while because of responsibilities I have to take care of, but am thinking of making a comeback soon because my children are old enough and would like to go hunting with me. However with all of the negative events that have taken place I don't know if that would be possible. Because of a few careless individuals, proposals have been set in motion to put even more stringent laws governing hunting with dogs in place, and to be honest I don't think any of us can be sure if hunting with dogs will even be legal in the future. I think right now the animal rights activist must be celebrating because these careless individuals who have no morals what so ever are giving them all of the ammunition they need to put an end to hunting with dogs in Hawaii. One of my dreams was to get back into hunting and pass on my legacy to my children, so they can pass it on to their children but because of a few careless individuals that's exactly what my dream might be, "just a dream". So what i'm saying guys is that its up to us as a hunting family to decide what will become of hog hunting with dogs in Hawaii. We as stewards of the mountains and forest have a moral and ethical responsibility to care for the land and correct any wrong doings that we observe. That means that if we see anyone, to include family and friends doing something we deem in our hearts to be wrong then it is our responsibility both morally and ethically to turn them in no matter how hard it may be. I know some of you out there are probably saying this guy is crazy I would never turn in any of my friends or family, but if you decide to be in denial and turn your back and pretend that nothing wrong is happening then you are just as guilty as all of those other guys who have committed horrible acts against moral and ethical hunting. If hunting with dogs is taken away from us in the future because of the ignorant actions of others, and you witnessed some of those wrongful actions but refused to say anything because they were your friends or family members, then you would definitely have done your part to take away hunting privileges from your fellow hunting brothers and sisters and worse yet our children who may want to hunt in the future. So I am reaching out to all my hunting brothers and sisters out there, please for the sake of our hunting community, our children who are our future, and the future of our sport itself do in your heart what you know to be right and report any illegal or suspicious activities to law enforcement right away no matter who is committing it because in the end the only ones responsible for ensuring our hunting privileges now and for our children in the future are you and I.

Much Alohaz Braddah Junz

Junz
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

THE FUTURE OF OUR SPORT Empty Re: THE FUTURE OF OUR SPORT

Post  seanboy Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:06 pm

AMEN !!!!!!
seanboy
seanboy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Haynhoundz Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:10 am

Well put Bruddah, I'm wit you on that and hope everyone feels the same way. Because if things keep going on the way they are you may be right. Respect da aina, yourself and others, no be selfish live pono and good things will come of it, for this generation and the next.
Haynhoundz
Haynhoundz
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

THE FUTURE OF OUR SPORT Empty Hard point

Post  hunters6262 Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:48 am

It would be hard for us hunters to turn in family n friends period ,i feel each man/women would have to search themselves .Braddah how u have a dream of hunting with your kids n hopefully one day with your grand kids is what myself n others with PELE DEFENSE FUND IS DOING RIGHT NOW . We are in the motion of filing a STATEWIDE HUNTINGN LAW SUIT against DLNR (NARS) and Hawaiian home lands for there illegal fencing and eradication of our game animals ,pigs,goats ,sheep,deer n wild cattle. We need help statewide . My name is Joe Griffiths n my number is 808-687-0966 . If you or anybody reading this want to know how to help n want to know what it entails call me anytime. Our future for the kids n now is what we going for . Aloha

hunters6262
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Huntaz Of War Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:53 pm

rajah that well said aloha
Huntaz Of War
Huntaz Of War
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  KVB Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:16 pm

I support the idea of having less fences, making more land available for hunting and ensuring that the rights of Kanaka Maoli are upheld and protected. And I support the PDF lawsuit. I was giving some thought to the reactions that the community has had to the recent slew of unfortunate incidents that have occurred recently involving hunters and their dogs. We've seen folks become snitches, judge, jury and hangman and while that's understandable in the climate of fear that the threat of more laws imposed upon our sport, but I think there are factors that have contributed to at least some of the actions that have occurred lately.

I'm not a mind reader or a fortune teller and I can't say for sure what motivates anyone to do what they do nor can I predict whats in store for us as hunters. One thing I know is that there is an ever increasing amount of young enthusiasts each year taking up the sport of boar hunting, especially in the dog and knife category. You graduate from high school, somebody buys you a Toyota truck, stuck a cage on it and stick your five dogs inside and boom, another hunter among the already many heading into the mountains after picking up musubi's and bottled water at the Seven-Eleven. It happens all the time, every year. And hunters live a long time. And when their time is up, they go to hog-heaven somewhere in the spirit world.

At the same time, more fences are going up. And there's less places to hunt. Private landholders and leaseholders don't give permission to a whole lot of people to access the mountains through their lands so a lot of the land is landlocked. There are public hunting areas, sure, but that means you end up "hunting behind somebody else", which in some people's books is like breaking the Ten Commandments.

Let's be honest. A lot of hunting happens in watershed areas that are not really public hunting areas. And so that would be called poaching. I can't think of too many guys who haven't at some time or another hunted or poached in watershed areas. So, essentially hunting or poaching in those areas are criminal acts under the law. Which is sad. Because that makes a lot of otherwise good people criminals in the eyes of the law. And in the eyes of those who snitch, judge and hang their fellow hunter who when all things are considered are doing what is practical for their own set of limitations.

Some folks have a bulldog's mouth and a hummingbird's ass when it comes to donating to the Pele Defense Fund. If we asked PDF to show us a list of who's donated money to help their cause, we would know who those folks are. Because if your name doesn't show up on that list then maybe you ought to just keep on poaching or hunting behind somebody else. When our backs are against the wall, talk is cheap and we gotta walk the walk.

Also, I'm glad they didn't push that one dog per hunter thing through with their resolution. Imagine every hunter, instead of bringing a pack of dogs into those areas, brought a 30-30 and their .44 Magnum's. Each and every one. Now, that's a lot of guns and a lot of bullets flying. I pity the hiker who isn't wearing hunter orange, hiking through our hunting areas. At the rate things are going, they'd surely be a few casualties in a year's time.

Hunt safe and help to protect our rights and help in getting more access to lands.

benny

KVB
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Junz Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:49 am

I read your reply VBK and you have a valid point as well, and it is a shame that more private land owners and leaseholders will not allow access to their lands. For every action their is an opposite yet equal reaction and maybe that is the case with private land owners and leaseholders. We will never know unless someone goes and ask them but maybe at time they did allow access but because of the actions of a few careless individuals decided to close their lands off to all but an elite few, who over the years have gained their trust enough to obtain future access. These private land owners and leaseholders i'm sure are well aware of the recent unfortunate events that have occurred and are probably now more than ever more reluctant to open their lands to hunting. If we as hunters ever want to possibly gain access to these prime hunting areas we will need to show them we are responsible enough to care for their land as if it were our own, and we are able to police our selves and are willing to help them catch those who refuse to follow what ever rules that may be in place and not turn our backs and pretend that no wrong doing is being done. Let me pose two examples. Example one: If you are a private land owner or lease holder and you are aware of all of the recent catastrophic events that have happened but you see that no one, even hunters are willing to assist with the capture of these individuals because of the fear of being called a snitch or rat, would you allow anyone access to your land? Probably not, because your first impression would be that hunters are irresponsible and would not care about what happens on your land and care only about one thing catching a pig. You would probably also think that if some careless individual caused damage to your livestock, equipment or disrespected you and the land by throwing their trash all over, you would not be able to catch that individual and right the wrong that they have done because you would think that hunters have no sense of integrity, due to their lack of support in helping to catch the offender. Example two: You are a private land owner or lease holder and are well aware of the recent catastrophic events that have occurred, however you see that the entire hunting community gathers together to help bring these individuals to justice to help preserve their right to hunt, you would probably have a different outlook on hunters. Your perception about hunters would probably change because you would be able to see that not all hunters are careless disrespectful individuals. You might even be inclined to open access to your land, because you would feel some sense of security that if something were to go wrong hunters would help to assist you in finding the guilty party so they can secure access to your land in the future. So all I'm trying to say is that as hard as turning in a friend or family member might be, If you enjoy your hunting privileges the way they are now then you must show everyone involved that we as hunters have integrity, and get involved and step forward with any information that may help the authorities to catch those who transcend a negative image on hunting. I truly believe that by showing everyone that we are willing to help apprehend those who refuse to follow the rules so that we may preserve our hunting heritage for the future, no matter what their relationship to us maybe, In time we will earn the trust of private land owners and leaseholders and one day secure access to these prime hunting areas for ourselves and future generations to enjoy. Just so there is no misunderstanding VBK, I am not trying to discredit your opinion, I am merely just trying to help my fellow hunting brothers and sisters to view the recent unfortunate events in a different point of view, so as to help earn the trust and confidence of all parties involved and thereby changing the way that everyone views the hunting community and god willing open up access opportunities for ourselves and future generations to enjoy.

Much Alohaz Braddah Junz

Junz
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  KVB Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:07 am

I see your point, Braddah Junz. I think you are suggesting enforcement of the rules and regulations and are soliciting everyone's help in trying to manage hunting in a way that would be most suitable for all involved, hunter-landowners etc.

My real message is that while our hunter population has grown considerably, the lands available to us has not. I don't know when the State Of Hawai'i designated the areas that are now Public Hunting Areas. Say for instance that it was done in the 1960's, it was probably done with consideration to the number of hunters that existed at that time. We all know that Hawai'i has grown in so many ways since then, and the number of hunters has grown significantly as well. So, outside of gaining access via permission from landowners etc, we are still expected to hunt in Public Hunting Areas, which have specific days that they are open to hunting and days that those areas are not. It was never set up to be a 24/7, 365 day a year free-for-all.

Knowing that, we need more land to accommodate our current needs based upon the number of hunters we have now and also in consideration
to the needs of those who follow in our footsteps.

benny

KVB
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Junz Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:55 am

Alohaz Braddah Benny nothin but love my braddah. United Not Divided.

Alohaz Braddah Junz

Junz
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  KVB Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:37 am

Right on, Braddah Junz. We got a lot on our plate to deal with, with everything that's been mentioned before. And its good to see folks chiming in and discussing these things. We got to try our best not to get in the news so much, or if so maybe we should get in the news in a good way, if that's possible. You know, the motorcycle clubs do their toys for tots thing or at least they used to. I'm not saying we gotta do anything like that, but part of why they do it, besides caring for kids that don't have that much, is that it helps their public image that bikers can't be all that bad. And neither are hunters.

We have hunting clubs that promote hunting in its best possible light. We have individuals who are devoting their energies in trying to protect our rights or privilege to hunt. There are also people who have been sympathetic to our plight as hunters who have taken a stand on our behalf, especially on the Big Island, who are up for election this year. If you live on the Big Island, please support them with your vote or volunteer in their campaigns. We have folks like Mr. Ollie Lunasco, here on O'ahu that could use our support and your votes if you live in his district.

My good friend, Joe Griffiths spends a lot of time working behind the scenes without getting a penny for his time, attending meetings, hearings, submitting testimonies, participating in protests, spending hours on the phone, emailing, texting people including anthropologists, archaeologists, kupuna, keiki, hunters, fishermen, cultural practitioners and countless others in his effort to build a coalition of supporters who can work to ensure that the future of our sport is a bright one, for ourselves and for the children of our children's children. All of this is done in his tireless work of supporting The Pele Defense Fund which is poised to file a lawsuit that at its heart is about ensuring that hunting and gathering secures its place in our future. To do so they need our support and our donations and contributions. There is a lot at stake here, and if the PDF prevails we will all reap the benefits, and on the other hand if it doesn't go the way that we'd like it to, then it will be us and those hunters yet unborn who stand to lose a lot. They will never know what we failed to protect.

Joe has provided his phone number for anyone interested in helping out.

Mahalo nui,
benny

KVB
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:02 pm

Benny,
Much mahalo's in bringing Joe's effort's to light! Like you said Joe's been working really,really hard and one of his next projects will be to put on a hunting tournament on the Big Island to raise money for the PELE DEFENSE FUND so we can put a STOP to all this non-sense and the taking of our hunting area's!! This will be happening real soon he's gathering all the prizes as we speak and I'll be helping him in his effort's with some of the prize's!! HUNTER'S don't miss this one it's for a good cause!! "OUR' CHILDREN'S FUTURE"!! Support the cause.

Sheld'z,
BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY
BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiiboarhunters.ning.com/

Back to top Go down

THE FUTURE OF OUR SPORT Empty The Future Of Our Sport Depends On Everybody Helping Out.

Post  KVB Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:28 pm

Right on, Braddah Sheld'z. Mahalo for the heads up on the upcoming tournament on the Big Island. And for helping Joe G. set it up. It sounds like a great idea and I hope it goes well. Keep up the great work, my braddahz!!!

Aloha,
benny

KVB
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Junz Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:32 am

Braddah Benny I know this may sound like a long shot, but what do you think about a hunters feeding the needy program? a program that doesn't necessarily involve monetary donations, but the donation of fresh pork from the pigs hunters catch to programs that cook and serve hot meals to the homeless and less fortunate. I know the state laws say that you cannot give the meat of any game mammals away and that you cannot posses the meat of any game mammals without a valid state of Hawaii hunting license, but I wonder if there are any loopholes or clauses in the state hunting rules which would allow hunters to donate freshly caught pork to organizations or shelters that provide hot meals for the homeless and less fortunate? I'm pretty sure that a humanitarian effort like this taken on by hunters would surely shine a positive light on the hunting community and prove to the public that hunters are not careless, irresponsible blood thirsty savages that some groups and organizations make us out to be, but rather we are generous, caring, and compassionate individuals. I know a huge undertaking of this magnitude would require the efforts of many dedicated volunteers and numerous phone calls to key individuals, so that's why I decided to run this idea by you just to see what kind of input I would get. If it sounds like a reachable goal, then I would post the idea up on the forum to see what kind of input our fellow hunting brothers and sisters have to give and also get a good idea of how many of them would support this humanitarian cause.

Alohaz Braddah Junz

Junz
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:51 am

Rite on Benny! The struggle continues and we need all the help we can get....
Junz I know for a fact that the MAUKA 2 MAKAI TOURNAMENT'S on the Big Island use to give the meat donated by the hunter's to the Cooper's Center which was used to help feed the less fortunate which you never heard about in the News...

BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY
BUBBA'S HOG DOG'Z SUPPLY
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiiboarhunters.ning.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:01 am

i think this is a great idea, and I would love to see that sort of program in Hawaii. However, I have heard that there is a state law that requires all donated food to be USDA certified, which means that the animal needs to be killed and butched in a facility which is USDA certified as safe (to prevent food-bourne illnesses)....some thing not exactly possible with game animals. I am not a lawyer, but that is what I have heard. Perhaps someone knows more specifics.....
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KVB Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:32 am

Once upon a time, I asked an old time breeder a question and he responded, "Well, son, You just asked me a million dollar question. If I had the answer, I would have a million dollars"...... Laughing

Braddah Junz, Your idea sounds like a good one, but I'm not qualified to know the legalities that might surround such an endeavor. My guess that questions about liability could arise, regarding public health safety issues. Perhaps there are others that might have a better understanding of how these things work, with the laws, rules and regulations and they might be able to join in on this conversation, offering whatever input, ideas and suggestions that they might have.

My concern at this point and it's just my point of view or opinion is that while we should rightfully be concerned with our public image and finding ways to be participating in endeavors that benefits our community as in your excellent suggestion, I, personally would like my focus to be in raising awareness and garnering widespread support of what I see as a vehicle already set in motion, which if successful will provide us all with the bounty that we would all like to see, turning a vision to a reality, which is to have more lands made accessible to hunters and gatherers as well as cultural practitioners, and that vehicle is the lawsuit that The Pele Defense Fund is aiming to bring forth. Saying this, I am in no way diminishing the value and the importance of your ideas and suggestions.

Mahalo nui,
benny

KVB
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down