Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new to Hawaii and wanting to hunt some pigs

2 posters

Go down

new to Hawaii and wanting to hunt some pigs Empty new to Hawaii and wanting to hunt some pigs

Post  Oregonhunter Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Hey all, so im in the military and got stationed in Hawaii. I live to hunt and was lost for words when i was told there really isn't any big game hunting in Hawaii. Then someone told me about hunting pigs and this site. I have never hunted pigs so i was very curious. I took one look at the site and i think im in love. I have rifle hunted my entire life and have just recently got into bow hunting. I also have fallen in love with that. Anyway, i am currently deployed in Iraq and i get back sometime in the fall. Needless to say i really want to hunt boar when i get back but have no clue where to go or what all the regs are. Any help you guys can provide would be great. I am also in the need for a new hunting partner, so if there is anyone that would be willing to take a rookie out i would be forever greatfull.
Oregonhunter
Oregonhunter
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

new to Hawaii and wanting to hunt some pigs Empty grind

Post  Nic Barca Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:07 am

Are you gonna be on Oahu?

It all depends on which island.

Hawaii has quite a few critters to hunt. Feral pig, feral goat, feral sheep, feral cattle, mouflon sheep, feralXmouflon hybred, axis deer, black tailed deer, wild turkey and at least 10 other gamebirds. It's common for people to assume we don't really have big game hunting. Some might even call it "medium game". The following is by island:

Kauai: Goats, pigs, black-tailed deer.
Oahu: goats, pigs
Molokai: goats, pigs, axis deer
Maui: goats, pigs, axis deer, turkey
Lanai: axis deer, mouflon, turkey
Big Isle: goats, pig, feral sheep, mouflon, feralXmouflon hybred, feral cattle.

As for birds, off the top of my head: 3 kinds pheasant, 3 kinds dove, 3 kinds franklin, 3 kinds quail, turkey, and a grouse. Some other birds are introduced from tiem to time on private lands including bob white quail, peacock, etc.

The rules and regulations are a bit different here than on the mainland. Each hunting unit has its own seasons, limits, and rules. A unit may be open all year or for a season. You'll want to check the rulea dn regulations booklet:
Rules Regulating Game Mammal Hunting (PDF)

And here is the parent directory with much more info.
DLNR: Hunting in hawaii

To get a license, you'll need to either pass a hunter safety coarse or provide proof of an out of state hunter's ed course.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

new to Hawaii and wanting to hunt some pigs Empty Re: new to Hawaii and wanting to hunt some pigs

Post  Oregonhunter Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:26 am

Yeah i will be on Oahu. I definatly want to try and go to every island though and see if i can get a Hawaii Grand-Slam before i PCS to a new unit in a few years. Shocked I have hunted alot of black-tail in oregon but i think it would be cool to say that i got one in Hawaii as well. I think my main concentration is going to be pigs though. I've been watching alot of your guy's videos and doing some reading on pig hunting. so needless to say i'm gettin really pumped about getting back and getting some hunting done.

James
Oregonhunter
Oregonhunter
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

new to Hawaii and wanting to hunt some pigs Empty Re: new to Hawaii and wanting to hunt some pigs

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum