Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question on Puppies

+2
huntaz only
jlopezjr
6 posters

Go down

Question on Puppies Empty Question on Puppies

Post  jlopezjr Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:20 am

Around what age or how many weeks your guys pups show interest in pig? Mahalo

-Joey
jlopezjr
jlopezjr
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Question on Puppies Empty Re: Question on Puppies

Post  huntaz only Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:36 am

had a dog once little over a year first pig he didnt give a crap the pig was next to him no interest, second pig that dog turned out to b tracker that stood out above alot of dogs ,jus wana say its hard to say just keep a open mind pending how much u wana put into a dog, or pup some where made to track, some grab dog only .some skid road lol .just my opinion Aloha
huntaz only
huntaz only
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CAVE CANEM Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:48 am

I show them their first pig at 10 weeks! All older dogs kenneled or on runners and pup or pups in a kennel, Bring the pig out and the yard comes to life! Once the pup or pups join in I bump um against the kennel just so they can get a smell, Nothing to aggressive! Put um away, Call um pau, Praise and feed.
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  jlopezjr Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:56 am

Mahalo boys!!! See the thing is I stay Guam and these dogs I running is straight starters! I get 3 right now, all poi dogs with little bull x lab kine blood...They all about 4 months right now. So far they when see 2 pigs both inside trap but no real action. 2 of the 3 is litter mates and yesterday they when bark little bit on one 50lb sow but thats about it, no real interest. Trying to start dogs on my own ova hea, would love to get some real hog dogs but hard for find guys back home to deal with all the vet stuffs to send Guam. Found one guy in Louisiana willing to send me 100% Cat Cur but for $1450 landed in Guam kinda $$$.

Mahalo for the info. boys...keep you guys posted on they progress!
jlopezjr
jlopezjr
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Kauai808 Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:22 am

Next pig you kill let the dogs rough it up. Just move the pig around and play with the dogs to get their interest. Also you can look into getting dogs from New Zealand. I know that you can ship dogs from there to hawaii faster because they don't have rabies. Might be cheaper then mainland and I know they hunt there.
Kauai808
Kauai808
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HOG H8R Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:56 am

Wassup braddah. I started my pups at 5 weeks, put the pig in the pen(baby pig), 6 out of 8 steady bark. Did it again for the next couple weeks &at 10-11 weeks 4 steady bark and chase. Bred my own lone so I figure id try the pig and pups. Was kinda antsy to see the results of what I bred. 4 months they tried to grab it and I kept those 4. Been livestock trained since 4 months, started running um at 5 months and now they 1 yr. old. 300-700 yd. tracking. I just was sick of dogs I got from people and they never known shit about what breed they were so I bred my own line. Worked out super cherry for me nut my next litter may not be exactly the same results. We'll just have to see. But also keep in mind my pig was like 10 lbs when I startes em at 5 weeks. Then at 4 months the pig was about 20-25 lbs. Just was a curiosity shot I took starting em so young but it worked out for me so far.

Had another dog at 4 yrs old. Never know shet about pigs. Spent 7-8 months with her alone, next thing you know, ACE!. I find that when starting off with dogs, start off with something with potential and just work em alone. That dogs faults will determine what else u need in the breed or what else you need to add to your pack. A lot easier and a lot less stressful. Just time consuming. But if the sports that important to you, you have all the time in the world for it. Good luck cuzz.
HOG H8R
HOG H8R
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  hayn/auzzi Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:13 am

I like it when the pups are older like anywhere from 10 mos to a year 1/2. Personal opinion. Good luck with whatever you do bro!

hayn/auzzi
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum