Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Broadheads

5 posters

Go down

Broadheads Empty Broadheads

Post  Lyle B Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:33 am

Going for deer next sept. Just got a tag for either sex. What broadhead you guys recommend, looking at 3 right now. Montec G5 3 blade, Magnus Snuffer 3 blade, or Muzzy 3 blade, all 125 grain, arrow weight at 506 grains with 125 grain. Want your opinion and pick the broadhead before I start fine tuning my bow and arrow with broadheads. So far heard lots of good things about the Montec's. Bow is 45# recurve.

Thanks, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Broadheads Empty ups to you...

Post  honu ea Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:44 am

used both the muzzy's and the montecs. both do very well. but i kind of lean to the montecs because of the 1 piece design. the only back draw to that is that after they are shot, if it hits something hard, the blade gets all messed up. with the muzzy's you can just change out the blades. but good luck in finding the best broadhead for your setup.
aloha
paka
honu ea
honu ea
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Broadheads Empty Re: Broadheads

Post  bigislandhunter Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:57 am

I am a fan of slick tricks, the 125's have done me good. I have a short draw and shoot low poundage and they work
bigislandhunter
bigislandhunter
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:01 pm

Lyle, for that weight recurve bow you will get better penetration with a two blade like Eclipse, Zwickey, or STOS. You will get better blood trail but less penetration with a three blade like the Snuffer though. Another good three blade to consider is the Wensel Woodsman.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Broadheads Empty broadheads

Post  AK Andy Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:05 pm

Howzit Lyle B?
I have used many brands and styles broadheads - having killed over 20 deer with archery tackle - I have talked with tons of hunters and broadhead manufacturers about broadhead design. What is the longest distance you plan to shoot at with your current set up?
Have you considered using mechanicals or are you set on using fixed blades?
My buddy Eric Sawchuk swore by his slick tricks for hogs, he and I had many debates about fixed vs. mechanicals. I have shot the muzzy's and montecs. I shoot 125 grain as well. I liked the Montecs better than the muzzys for tightest groups at long ranges. For recurves I like 1" cutting dia. or 1 and 1/4th " cutting diameter broadheads best to increase penetration when using lower poundage draw weight. I have not used, but have heard great things about the new Wensel Woodsman Elite's made by 3 rivers archery. PLanning to get some to try, also just ordered some crimson talon 125s because I am intrigued by the helical blade design and want to see how they fly at long range. I would use fixed blades if I could get field tip accuracy out of them out past 50 yards- many brands claim field tip accuracy for fixed blades but I have a finely tuned bow and still get wind planing at long range, though I have shot a 60 yard robin hood and know my bow is well tuned. I had one Montec fly perfect like a field tip while another did not. I use rocket steelhead XP 125s mostly- have killed double lung blacktail deer at 72 yards with them and also heart shot on caribou at 68 yards. I dig mechanicals and would not hesitate to use them on deer. The new swhackers look neat and I want to try them too. If your shots are limited to closer ranges inside 25 yards then in general you will find that most any brand or style of broadhead will make an efficient on shot kill if you put the arrow into vitals and can get enough penetration with your set up. Accuracy is the name of the game moreso that broadhead style or brand name. figure out which kind shoots best for you. I like mechanicals for 15 yrs now, but avoided them in the 80s when the designs were flawed. I have never found trouble with angled shots and mechanicals like many claim- I whacked a nice boar on Kauai this year with one shot at a steep quartering away angle and the steelhead XP blades that had to swing backwards did not hinder the entry or penetration and the arrow double stopped in the leg bone on the opposite side of him- he ran 60 yards and died quick.
good luck braddah, I can talk broadheads all day and have plenty of experience using many kinds on many kinds of critters - if I can help let me know or send me a private message. broadhead choices are often a big debate amongst hunter folk.
Andy
AK Andy
AK Andy
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Broadheads Empty Broadheads

Post  Lyle B Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:58 am

Thanks guys. I decided on the G5 Montec just because it's one piece and keep on hearing good things about it. AK confidently shooting range is between 10 to 20 yards. UpFront just wondering why a 2 blade would leave a better blood trail then a three piece, just curious. Anyways that Woodsman from 3 rivers does look deadly. Let me know if U guys ever tried it out. ALOHA!

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:46 am

Lyle... reread my post. Or better yet just go with a Snuffer or Woodsman.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Broadheads Empty SNUFFER AND WOODSMAN

Post  Lyle B Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:30 am

UPFRONT, gotta keep my options open. Getting Snuffer plus Woodsman and that way will try all three. Anyways might be moving back on the islands by next summer. Hopefully catch you in the woods!

Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Broadheads Empty Mahalo's AGN

Post  Lyle B Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:36 am

Mahalo's for the tips on the broadheads, actually going get all of em. PAKA, U hunt Palisades mostly? Bigislandhuntah, where U stay in BIsland? Braddah Cory V., Coming back brother!

Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Broadheads Empty RE- broadheads

Post  Lyle B Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:12 am

Hey Guys, got a pack of Magnus 125 2 blade. The guys from Rocky mountain specialty gear (check out their website, just google it) are a big help. Upfront your right with the penetration deal. Anyways they sharpened all the blades for me and actually blunted the tips. they are scary sharp, anyways got one day left to hunt Mulies!

Aloha!

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:17 am

Those magnus should work good for ya Lyle, good luck.
There will be some Hogs here waiting for you when you come back. pig
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down