Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new hunter to the island

4 posters

Go down

new hunter to the island Empty new hunter to the island

Post  Jedi8541 Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:18 am

I just arrived to the big island. i am looking for general area to hunt hogs. I dont want anyones honey hole just a general location on public hunting land. Thanks in advance
Jedi8541
Jedi8541
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

new hunter to the island Empty Re: new hunter to the island

Post  CAVE CANEM Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:36 am

Howzit! Welcome to the Big Island and to the boards! Where you wanna go really depends on what kind of hunting you plan on getting in?? Dogs, Bow or high power?? Pretty much most of the reserves get game just depending on what you looking for and how you plan on getting it done. I am not to sure where you moved from but if you don't got a Hawaii hunting lisence then that would be where you wanna start and then just get you a rules n regulation booklet and go from there! Good luck on your hunts and no shame with any other questions you get. No more really any public lands here in Kona but the good thing about being from Kona is you're pretty much in the middle of them so the drive to most spots will be about the same length either which way!
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Jedi8541 Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:10 am

Yeah I got my exemption letter and license. Now I just heard that some of the public hunting land is closed to bowhunters during the bird season. I am looking for a place to stalk the pigs or wait for them at watering holes or baited spots.
Jedi8541
Jedi8541
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  evan Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:21 am

There's plenty areas still open during bird season. Just get out there and hike, you'll find game no matter where you go. The pigs are thick here on the BI
evan
evan
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Nic Barca Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:02 pm

I always had good luck on the public lands around saddle road. Use google earth to scout areas. One way to hunt is to go to the lava flows and check the kipukas (islands of older soil). Start by checking the rules and regulations to see where is open and when. Remember now, it gets cold up there, so be prepared. Make sure you have a compass. When the clouds role in, it's really easy to get turned around and lost. Don't fall on A'a lava! You'll get hamburgered. I once slipped and barely touched it with my palm. Dam thing never stopped bleeding for 8 miles. Half the day I held my palm to my jacket.

I hear good things about Mauna Kea. If you go to unit A and walk around with a rifle you'll see game.

I used to be real big on hiking into the Hilo forest reserve to the headwaters of the Wailuku River to hunt pigs and wild cattle. Rarely went home empty handed. Also had some successes on the south side of Saddle road as well, but it was thick and I am just plain lucky.

Big island is a hunters paradise. You'll be okay.
Nic Barca
Nic Barca
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.huntfishhawaii.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum