Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does a Garmin Astro ruin the sport of hunting??

4 posters

Go down

Does a Garmin Astro ruin the sport of hunting?? Empty Does a Garmin Astro ruin the sport of hunting??

Post  CAVE CANEM Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:18 am

Howzit! I seen this post on another forum and wanted to see what you guys thought about it. Has the introduction of the Garmin Astro taken the sport out of hunting?? How do you think having this new technology will affect the young up and comers who skip the basics of learning the forests and frontiering and learn to hunt with a digital map in their hands?? I believe the technology used by Garmin is the dog tracker of the future once a few bugs are worked out but what do you guys feel about it??
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Does a Garmin Astro ruin the sport of hunting?? Empty Re: Does a Garmin Astro ruin the sport of hunting??

Post  timmy96815 Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:59 pm

As much as a gps would help me get around the mountian and take some of the sucks out of my hunting skills. I am with you. It is fun to tramp around and discover where you are and how to get to ridges, valleys, where you were before. And once I finally kill a pig on my own it will be a great accomplishment
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Does a Garmin Astro ruin the sport of hunting?? Empty Re: Does a Garmin Astro ruin the sport of hunting??

Post  CAVE CANEM Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:38 pm

The concensus on the other post is that GPS is a good thing for the sport and that as long as you don't get to attached to your screen and still take the initiative to let your mind do some of the work in tracking your course it is just another accessory like your flashlight, backpack or even ropes, None essential but all are great to have! It definately is a great thing to have when you run rougher dogs and every second you take to get to the dogs is vital or if you run milers and have a dog with no voice. It is also great for if you buy a new dog or are starting a new puppy and wanna go home and analyze exactly what it did on that certain run. I believe it is a great thing to have on you but we must remember to put the screen down at times! Laughing
CAVE CANEM
CAVE CANEM
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:48 am

Certain scenarios call for certain things. Different people, different techniques. I agree with you Jusacruzah.
If we develop our "WOODSMANSHIP" along with the technical and operational aspects of hunting we should be fine. COMPLETE dependency on such things undermines ones self-confidence which could get them into trouble while afield. I see woodsmanship as being a core fundamental.
Oh yah, and you will never misplace, damage, forget to charge or accidentally leave at home............your mind.

ALOHAZ - MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:49 am

Howzit my Bradda jus saw this post my feelings are many on this subject but i'll just answer the questions with my opinion's!

First "Has the introduction of the Garmin Astro taken the sport out of hunting?? " No, I dont believe so. Man even with the garmin the pig wins 9 times outta 10 Does a Garmin Astro ruin the sport of hunting?? Icon_lol Does a Garmin Astro ruin the sport of hunting?? Icon_lol Does a Garmin Astro ruin the sport of hunting?? Icon_lol

How do you think having this new technology will affect the young up and comers who skip the basics of learning the forests and frontiering and learn to hunt with a digital map in their hands?? I personally dont think it'll affect the learning of the forest aspect of the hunt as you still gotta go into the forest. All the digital map tells you or shows you is terrain features it doesnt show you what the actual forest etc looks like if that makes sense. Sorry tryin to condense as I gotta leave soon. The bottomline to me is you still gotta get in the forest to hunt so you are forced to learn it like it or not.

I'll check in later and maybe post more having been using this for a longtime now.

Aloha No,

Bradda Muns
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down