Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Public hunting grounds

5 posters

Go down

Public hunting grounds Empty Public hunting grounds

Post  oregonbowhunter Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:18 am

so i have been doing some reading online about hunting in Hawaii since i just got here and i am getting ready to start flinging some arrows. I have been trying to figure out what the public hunting grounds are like around here. I mean are there good chances of bagging some game? Not knowing where to hunt kinda sucks so the more info i can get before hand the better. Sorry for asking the all the newbie questions but getting started with hunting here in Hawaii is starting to turn into a challange. thanks guys.
-James
oregonbowhunter
oregonbowhunter
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Public hunting grounds Empty Re: Public hunting grounds

Post  Misadventure Gear Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:14 am

Aloha OregonBowhunter,

Don't give up.......you'll find your hunting lands and make connections. Just keep at it, and be patient. I'm on Maui, and so can't help you unless you head over here, but I'm sure some of our BloodBrothers on Oahu will help you out. For bowhunting goats, check out Pohakuloa, and above the rim of Makua valley. For hogs, look at setting up a treestand and pig pipe in Nuuanu (the Pali Hwy). Thre are other places to be had too, such as Poamoho, which is a lot closer to you. but I can't give you any accurate directions as to where to go, since I haven't hunted Oahu since 1998. Best piece of advice I can give is to get out, hike the public land, look for sign, learn the plants and the mountains, and be patient. The jungles of Hawaii are not like what you are used to in Oregon, so think outside the lines, and keep your ears and mind open. When you put in the time and pay your dues, things will happen. Good luck my braddah, and keep checking in on the forum.......
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Koa Boa Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:13 pm

Howzit OregonBowhunter,

Yeah no problem im sure those of us on Oahu can help you out. I work on Schofield near range control too. Anyways MauiRhino gave you good advice on where to go and how to set up. If you wanna know more im sure someone will chime in here soon enough.

Makua-Keaau is where most go for goat on public land but be careful it can be very dangerous the owner/moderator of this forum fell to his death there last year very sad times for all of us.

If you wanna try hunting hogs with dogs lemme know and welcome to the board.

I sent you a PM!!
Koa Boa
Koa Boa
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  HYPA Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:04 am

yea oregon, bow hunting this island without connections to private land is a true challenge, there is hog to be had in nuuanu but your gonna find that the mountain gets crowded quick, If you like to try the dog and knife style give me a pm and well see what we can set up
HYPA
HYPA
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Public hunting grounds Empty Maui Hogs

Post  Cayotey1 Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:22 am

MauiRino was on a few days ago...reading his stuff. I'm going to be there from now til mar 3, in Lahina, and hope to locate some pig areas.I've been reading the threads and have some ideas....
I'm from BC,about 100 miles north of the Montana border, and hunt elk, deer and moose, with bow and rifle, but we have no hogs. Can I get in touch with you when I arrive, to ask questions????

Cayotey1
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:42 am

Cayotey1 PM sent....
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com