Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Future of high country sheep.

4 posters

Go down

Future of high country sheep. Empty Future of high country sheep.

Post  elhewman Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:53 am

Hey guys, I could possibly be moving to hawaii (big island) soon. So forgive all the specific newb questions I will have. Here is my first. The high elevation sheep hunting looks like a blast but with the eradication program will it be non existant on public lands soon? I am a huge fan of arid country hunting but the bird season is so short I would love another exuse to get out in no mans land. Thanks in advance guys!

elhewman
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Future of high country sheep. Empty Re: Future of high country sheep.

Post  bigislandhunter Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:09 am

elhewman wrote:Hey guys, I could possibly be moving to hawaii (big island) soon. So forgive all the specific newb questions I will have. Here is my first. The high elevation sheep hunting looks like a blast but with the eradication program will it be non existant on public lands soon? I am a huge fan of arid country hunting but the bird season is so short I would love another exuse to get out in no mans land. Thanks in advance guys!

I believe it will be a long time more before there will be "NO" sheep hunting on Mauna Kea. They have been eradicating for quite some time and the sheep populations are going down. Their will always be sheep on Mauna Kea in my eyes. I have been hunting Mauna Kea sheep for about 10 years and I have seen a very slight change in the population sizes. I am beginning to notice that the genes are going bad, usually one side is longer than the other or it flares out more. I think that at some point they are going to say is it really worth it to fly and shoot 100 sheep for 10,000. well I just hope that the Palila bird goes extinct before the sheep. If you get a bow your hunting opportunities will be boosted. Any questions just let me know.

Last edited by bigislandhunter on Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
bigislandhunter
bigislandhunter
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Future of high country sheep. Empty BAAH RAM, EWE.............SHEEP BE TRUE

Post  MAUKAKANE1 Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:35 am

Aloha Elhewman,

No, the sheep will not be non-existant on Mauna Kea soon. Hunting the higher elevations is not by any means a cakewalk and can probably be compared with some of the bigger named, high altitude sheephunting elsewhere. Challenges besides the mountain itself is the sheep density. They are there however and one can still find trophies.
I wouldn't let what you have heard about the eradication stop you from doing it, but as I said earlier trophies can still be had if your desire is unwavering. I also think you can have a better outlook on the whole situation of eradication worries because you dont know the difference from now, to say 20-30 years ago. Most of us locally have seen the difference first hand and this does something to you mentally while out in the field. Mainly frustration, disgust or what have you, and this ultimately affects the mood and tempo of the hunt. Now who wants to spend the outdoors hunting all day when from the get go we feel everything is already against us?
Its sort of a clean slate for you, fresh and new. As I have told the up and coming outdoorsman within my own ohana " On Mauna Kea, a strong desire to accomplish it is what will make you achieve it.

And as B.I.Hunter wrote, a bow and or muzzleloader will double your opportunity for hunting.
Good Luck.

MAUKAKANE1
Onipa'a a ku ha'aheo
MAUKAKANE1
MAUKAKANE1
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Turkey Joe Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:32 pm

I just got back from a turkey hunting trip on Mauna Kea. It's true that sheep numbers are down, BUT....in certain areas and temporarily. I was hunting mostly along the western flank, from Kilohana to Kemole Gulch. Two big flocks were shot in area A, past first cabin from the highway. Area G, Kaohe Lease is LOADED with sheep. This is an archery only area.
Last Tues in G, off R-14 I walked up on a small flock 2 ewes, 1 half curl, 1 3/4 curl, 1 full curl hybrid and a bumbucha mouflon with thick bases and a full curl + (the tips flared out and were broomed off. I wasn't trying to be stealthy, just trolling for turkey sign. I wish I had a bow right then, cause I was 30yds away when they stepped out from some mamane trees. We looked at each other and the sheep bolted 20yds down the trail, looked back at me and walked into the bush (towards Hill 1).
Wed & Thurs, late morning, in area A about 2mi back from the first cabin, I saw a dark chocolate full curl ram above the road. That plus the tracks in the road tell me that there's sheep to be had just about anywhere Mauna Kea,you just have to work for them a bit.
Turkey Joe
Turkey Joe
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum