Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Axis deer hunting on Maui

+3
milo
bigislandhunter
doccherry
7 posters

Go down

Axis deer hunting on Maui Empty Axis deer hunting on Maui

Post  doccherry Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:40 pm

Don't want to spend a fortune, so what's the best bet for hunting axis deer on Maui? I talked to DLNR and they said all the deer are on private property. Anybody know a good deer hunt at a fair price? Mahalo from Kona.

doccherry
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Axis deer hunting on Maui Empty Re: Axis deer hunting on Maui

Post  bigislandhunter Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:57 pm

you should probably try your chances at the the Lanai annual deer hunt drawing.
bigislandhunter
bigislandhunter
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Axis deer hunting on Maui Empty Lanai

Post  milo Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:26 pm

When are the deadlines and seasons for that draw?
milo
milo
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  bigislandhunter Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:29 pm

This year I believe it was December 4th or something. I am not sure when the application is due next year, just keep an eye out!
bigislandhunter
bigislandhunter
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Misadventure Gear Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:26 pm

For a guided hunt, you can check out Arrow One Ranch, or Maui Hunting Safari's...both are on the web. Off the top of my head, I can't tell you what their prices run. I also have no experience with either of them, so I can't personally vouch for their services. But those are two guide sevices that I know of here. Lanai is your best bet. You can buy a private land archery/crossbow tag for $50 and it is good from July 1 to June 31 each year, so you don't have to stick to the state deer season if that works better for your vacation time. Lanai also has a pay hunt service--again I dunno what it costs.
Misadventure Gear
Misadventure Gear
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.misadventuregear.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Babooze Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:12 am

I second the pay side on Lanai. Thats gotta be one of the best deals going!

Babooze
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://hawaiioutdoorsman.freeforums.org/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  doccherry Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:24 am

How do you get from Maui to Lanai, what kind of transportation is available on the island, and where do you stay when you're there? Sorry for all the questions, but all my hunting has been on the Big Island. Thanks.

doccherry
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Axis deer hunting on Maui Empty lanai ferry

Post  Instinct Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:17 am

there is a ferry that runs 7 days a week 5 times a day from 6:45am to 5:45pm and costs $50 round trip. They are also very good about how much stuff to take with you they realize most people are goin over to camp or residents taking back groceries for the month. You can camp at the bay for $10/ night per person plus a $25 registration fee for up to 3 nights. U can not take a vehicle over but you can rent them from the locals for $50-75 a day.
Instinct
Instinct
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  ramboar Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:22 am

The rifle pay hunt is $275 and you can harvest three animals in a variety of combinations of which one can either be a axis buck or mouflon ram and the other two must be female of those species. the locals there also rent out their homes to hunters as well. For 325 bucks you can do both rifle and archery hunts in one weekend. thats the best deal anywhere.

ramboar
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  doccherry Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:57 am

The $275 rifle hunt sounds really great. What all is involved with that? Where does the hunting take place? Are there many deer and sheep? Any details would be appreciated. Thanks to everyone who responded.

doccherry
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  ramboar Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:31 am

The private rifle hunt is done on the opposite side of the state hunts. the state hunting area is on one side of the road and the pay hunts are on the other side of the road. there should be no problems finding game, but as with anywhere else trophy animals are a bonus. you also dont have to pay for trophy fees,and are allowed to scout the area the day before. you may also hunt on weekdays, the moufies are usually closer to the ocean in the keawe trees. they also provide guide services for just a little bit extra and you may debone your animals in the field. call them up and talk to Gary Onouma he is top notch and will tell you everything you need to know.

ramboar
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down