Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1st time puppies

4 posters

Go down

1st time puppies Empty 1st time puppies

Post  huntachad Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:49 pm

Just out of curiosity what do "you" guys look for if any in determining whether or not a puppy is ready to go into the mountain for the first time? As for me, I have the luxury of having my whole yard fenced in to let all my "kids" socialize on an every day basis. But the basic and common ground that I use is when they start paying attention to when I call their name and understand the command "come" or "here boy/girl". Reason being is becuz I don't want to be chasing them around the truck when its time to go home or when I want them to come to me when they are lost. Other reasons I have heard from friends or fellow hunters is age, breed, sex, size, etc. And how much patience do you have until you determine enough is enough and get rid of the dog. Every dog that I have... I raised from a pup so I have learned to have alot of patience with each of them even though I wanted to shoot them myself at one point of time!! But in the end it turns out all good (so far). How much dogs do you guys run in a pack? I have the luxury of having two other hunting buddies to go grab dogs from if I feel the need of having additional dogs. They catch more pigs when they are with me anyway verses when they are with their owners (ANDE FERNANDEZ and Pat ......). LOL Just curious??? Alohaz - Chad

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

1st time puppies Empty Re: 1st time puppies

Post  knockout Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:59 am

aloha chad,
i usually try run my pups at about 9 months, but i usually only bring 1 pup at a time...I found that if you bring more than one pup at a time, they end up playing with each other instead of learning from the older dogs. My older dogs won't give the pup the time of day when they are hunting, so the pup either has to keep up, or it gets left behind. sooner or later the pup is going to keep up with the big dogs...!

knockout
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  calvin Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:11 am

lol friggin chad,

I was reading the post and never look who wrote um
and as I was reading um I was like " dis guy sound familiar"
den I wen look da corner for see who was.
sorry I stay crackin up write now thinking about jr boy when puupy

n e wayz what you went again?
call me latahz
aloha

calvin
Piglet
Piglet

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:31 am

Roga dat knockout. I too bring one pup at a time until i feel comfortable enough with his/her back track skills then i'll add another one in the cycle. It never fails every pup has given me some type of headache when first starting off. I can account for only 2 pups that had the uncanny traits of being "naturals". The grabbing part is different for every dog - some are firstimers and some take a century (lol) to grab. But eventually they catch on. Backtracking and keeping up are my main prorities when starting them off.
Calvin - Yeah I couldn't help but rub the salt in the wound. You know me always having fun. Went last Wednesday but ran into other hunters. Going tomorrow afternoon, Wednesday morning and Saturday morning. Midas well... the dogs on fire right now. Yeah Jr Boy was some character hugh? Taught that donkey would never come around but look at him now... he's friggin unstoppable!!! Shoots see u at work.

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CHAD CABANA Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:00 pm

Wow Chad I never know JR gave you that much of a trouble should just send em my way!!!....lol I remember when he was just a pup any recent pics of him if you have any would like to see how the sister & him look now not in the dark...lol heres him & one of his littermates chilling with the other litter I had at that time.

1st time puppies Kitty021
CHAD CABANA
CHAD CABANA
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

http://www.haynhogdogs.com

Back to top Go down

Post  huntachad Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Chad - going try post some pics. Never really quite figured it out how to yet. But soon as I do I will. Him and his sister gave me tons of headaches but what Kid doesn't? Now I no have to worry. Now the headaches coming from thunder and lightning the pups I got from Jay. But I know when they figure out the game they should be just as unstoppable as Jr boy and Haole girl. Alohaz and thanks for the pups. If you get any more from that line you like me run let me know.
PS: Don't you remember what your receipt said when I bought the pups from you? It said - NO REFUNDS AND NO RETURNS!!!!! LOL!!!

huntachad
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  CHAD CABANA Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:51 am

cheers Laughing Laughing Laughing cheers Very Happy
CHAD CABANA
CHAD CABANA
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

http://www.haynhogdogs.com