Hawaii Sportsman
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aloha Gang

+2
eric@hawaiisportsman
UpFront
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Aloha Gang Empty Aloha Gang

Post  UpFront Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Newbie just joined. Just bought my first bow second hand and plan on hunting with it in the near future. Sooooo much to learn. I am signed up for one of the hunter safety courses so it's just target practice til then. I went bow hunting with one of my buddies on the Big Island a couple of times and I'm hooked. I have been fishing all my life and have had that hunter instict in my blood so hunting gives me a thrill only you folks can understand. I hope to learn from these forums as well as contribute whatever I can. Mahalo.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Aloha Gang Empty welcome

Post  eric@hawaiisportsman Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:31 am

welcome!
don't be aftraid to ask any questions! people are real good about helping each other out.
eric@hawaiisportsman
eric@hawaiisportsman
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Aloha Gang Empty Re: Aloha Gang

Post  timmy96815 Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:53 am

HI, I am new to hunting too. Have been practicing with my 45# recurve. Almost ready.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:44 pm

Good, where have you been going to shoot?
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Aloha Gang Empty Hi

Post  timmy96815 Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:42 am

Hey, Well. I have a small backyard that I shoot in down by ala wai park. When I have time I go to kapiolani park. I have a old recurve that I am having a hell of a time getting tuned in. I almost had it, but I forgot to measure the brace height when it was shooting well. I backed it down some more and now the arrow flys funny again. I am going to the pali tommorow morning for some exploring. my first time.
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:35 am

Timmy, Are you trying to learn to shoot stick bow on your own or do you have someone working with you. Go check out the book " Become the arrow" by Byron Ferguson. I've been shooting a recurve for many years and was doing very well with it 'til one of my archery mentors loaned me that book and it changed my whole prospective on instinctive archery and totally up'd my game. Get in touch with me some time, I'de like to shoot with you. Maybe go for a spot n stalk for some pigs, I got a few spots that might have one or two hogs running around.
Aloha,
Cory
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

http://www.cory-vidinha.magix.net

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:48 am

timmy96815 wrote:Hey, Well. I have a small backyard that I shoot in down by ala wai park. When I have time I go to kapiolani park. I have a old recurve that I am having a hell of a time getting tuned in. I almost had it, but I forgot to measure the brace height when it was shooting well. I backed it down some more and now the arrow flys funny again. I am going to the pali tommorow morning for some exploring. my first time.
Really, I wouldn't mind joining you, I have been wanted to go do some scouting myself. I have never been in there before but I plan on hunting it after I do the Hunter Ed. course and get my license. What time are you going to go?
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Aloha Gang Empty Let's go

Post  timmy96815 Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:58 am

Upfront: Shutes yea let's go. You are welcome to come for as long as you want. Basically scouting around. I will probably get there at around 6:00 on the diamond head side. Probably stay till around 1 or 2 I'll bring my broadheads just in case something comes along. 927-0198, name's Jeff

Cory: My name is Jeff. Timmy is just a name that stuck with me one time and I use it on line. I have been reading "instinctive shooting" by Fred Ashbell. I have become the arrow but I havn't studied it yet. No one working with me but every time I go to the range I learn something from some of the guys there. Let's go shooting? Yea sounds good. My yard kind of sucks, What range do you shoot? Kapiolani is good for me but if I have a little time I could go to central park or somewhere else.
My contact info is jeff.devilbiss@gmail.com or 927-0198

Aloha Gang P1030358
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:34 am

I usually don't shoot at the range, I like to practice with what I hunt with so I go to the mountains and stump shoot with broadheads or set up a broadhead target. I got most of the guys at Kapiolani park started on stick bows like Craig and Mika guys, There all good guys. Maybe you upfront and I can go hook up there sometime this week. I'll shoot you an e-mail later.
Aloha,
Cory
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:02 am

That out in the mountains stump thing sounds good, it's a little closer to the real deal. I won't be able to make it to Pali tomorrow after all but I def. want to go there soon. I guess it's time for me to go get some cammo. Lemme know what you see. What are the regs about being in there anyway cuz I don't have my license yet? Man you guys are going to make me want a stick bow now. lol. Oh, my name is Dave, nice to meet you guys.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:31 am

Why don't you guys give me a call tomorrow or something and we can go plan a stump shoot. 861-6680
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  timmy96815 Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:44 am

not sure about the regs. I know bow hunting is legal. You can call the dept of forestry for more info. Sorry I don't have the number. Maybe next time for the Pali, no big deal. I will post some pics of what I find there.

Cory, I am watching your video from your website right now. That kid is stoked man. You guys are living it up in that moment. Stump shoot sounds good. I get my work schedule tommorow. I'll contact you guys after that.
Jeff
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Aloha Gang Empty U gotta go with Cory

Post  Lyle B Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:57 am

timmy96815 wrote:Upfront: Shutes yea let's go. You are welcome to come for as long as you want. Basically scouting around. I will probably get there at around 6:00 on the diamond head side. Probably stay till around 1 or 2 I'll bring my broadheads just in case something comes along. 927-0198, name's Jeff

Cory: My name is Jeff. Timmy is just a name that stuck with me one time and I use it on line. I have been reading "instinctive shooting" by Fred Ashbell. I have become the arrow but I havn't studied it yet. No one working with me but every time I go to the range I learn something from some of the guys there. Let's go shooting? Yea sounds good. My yard kind of sucks, What range do you shoot? Kapiolani is good for me but if I have a little time I could go to central park or somewhere else.
My contact info is jeff.devilbiss@gmail.com or 927-0198

Aloha Gang P1030358

Sup Jeff, Cory's the best guy to learn from. I jus came back home from the mainland 6 months ago and met Cory at Kap Archery, Next thing I know, the following week Braddah Cory takes me on my first pig hunt ARCHERY. And shot one "small kine" and get em on film thanks to Cory and Tina and Kaleo for teachimg me how to skin. Anyways everytime I hunt with him I shit you not we see pigs right when we get inside. I still picking his brains about pigs. Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:15 am

Wow braddah Lyle, you make'n me blush now,lol. So what, You still at Bass pro? Checking out the candy store? Mahalozzzz for da props.

You do need a hunting license to be up Pali with a bow but I have access to alot of private land all over the island that we can go stomp around at or we can just go to Pali, alot of the wardens are cool with me so it should be ok. If we go private land to stump shoot and some thing pops out you two guys going have to flip coin for who going take a shot. Lyle knows, I have a knack for where ever I go always going see some pigs and most time we going get a shot. Just the other day Lyle and I went to one place and had 3 nice hogs at the trail head so we sat within 15 feet of them and Lyle was takeing pictures of them as they rooted around for about 20 min. Was good fun.
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Aloha Gang Empty candy store

Post  Lyle B Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:36 am

Vidinha wrote:Wow braddah Lyle, you make'n me blush now,lol. So what, You still at Bass pro? Checking out the candy store? Mahalozzzz for da props.

You do need a hunting license to be up Pali with a bow but I have access to alot of private land all over the island that we can go stomp around at or we can just go to Pali, alot of the wardens are cool with me so it should be ok. If we go private land to stump shoot and some thing pops out you two guys going have to flip coin for who going take a shot. Lyle knows, I have a knack for where ever I go always going see some pigs and most time we going get a shot. Just the other day Lyle and I went to one place and had 3 nice hogs at the trail head so we sat within 15 feet of them and Lyle was takeing pictures of them as they rooted around for about 20 min. Was good fun.

Ho, Bass Pro is dangerous, spent 4 hours and got carried away. Gotta return some goods actually, thing that I realized I didn't need jus gotta tell myself "stay down wind". Anyways when I get back your pali spot should be runnin after some BLACK GOLD. Let's post Jeff by the chair and layout some Black Gold as well. Wanted to let Bluefin10 that we are setting up on that side of the Pali, but no response, so thats cool. Next week is on.
Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:44 am

Yups, I tell myself that in MANY situations too " Stay down wind Cory and everything will be ok" lol. Sounds good to me about Pali, can put Jeff by my chair or put him in slaughter house, I took some gorillazzzz out of all those spots. Would be nice to go Pali again, I haven't hunted there for a while. Felt good walking in there with you the other day, brought back alot of memories, I had alot of good times in those mountains. That's why showing you one spot turned into trudging all over that mountain,lol.
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:25 am

Oh man, I'm getting amped. I gotta hook up with you guys.
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:33 am

We'll have a good time, guaretee that. Hope you guys like beer because Lyle and I always got some cold ones and if the rest of the gang shows up you may need to call home to tell your wife you'll be home late,lol. Just give her the one that got away story,lol. We tracked that hog 'til we couldn't walk anymore, that's why I stumbled in the way I did. That usually works the first few times but after a while they catch on.
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:37 am

Maybe Braddah Dean Kanuha n gang can join us sometime too, Howzit Dean?
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Aloha Gang Empty Yea Yea lets go

Post  timmy96815 Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:39 am

Sounds good, I have been about 6 times, heard some pigs, saw some goats, Got close to a doe (close enough for the guy I was with to see it, I didn't) Would like to actually take a shot. I'll post after scouting the pali.
Jeff
timmy96815
timmy96815
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  UpFront Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:41 am

Beer! This just keeps getting better. cheers
UpFront
UpFront
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  KANUHA BROTHERS Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:48 am

WAS UP CORY...........

KANUHA BROTHERS
KANUHA BROTHERS
KANUHA BROTHERS
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Aloha Gang Empty hunt is on

Post  Lyle B Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:52 am

I got probably two more weeks of jus good ol day hunts till the end of Oct. before moving again for a Job in Denver C.O. for the winter. So hunting everyday if can. Got the cold ones already chillin Cory, yeah setting the Keystones aside for the corn, lol. Jeff wait till you gotta track the bloodtrail in the dark, what a rush.
Aloha, Lyle

Lyle B
small kine choppers
small kine choppers

Back to top Go down

Post  Vidinha Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:06 am

Lyle, Sounds like a plan.
Dean : WE GO HUNT. See you guys been pounding some hogs. Jump in on the action, we go get one good one going seems like everyone stay all hipe. At the very least we go have some cold ones. I gotta show you what kind beer to mix with the corn. NO GREEN BOTTLES FOR DA PIGS, Green bottles is for us.
Vidinha
Vidinha
big daddy boar
big daddy boar

Back to top Go down

Post  KANUHA BROTHERS Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:08 pm

WHEN, WHERE AND WHAT TIME???????????

KANUHA BROTHERS
KANUHA BROTHERS
KANUHA BROTHERS